ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by craig1f"
craig1f

Posted Oct 13, 2011 in: Toodledo and iOS5
Score: 0
  • craig1f
  • Posted: Oct 13, 2011
  • Score: 0
He also said it was during a sync operation. Maybe turn off auto sync, so you have to hit the button to sync? Just a thought.
craig1f

Posted Oct 13, 2011 in: Toodledo and iOS5
Score: 2
  • craig1f
  • Posted: Oct 13, 2011
  • Score: 2
I don't see Toodledo in the notification settings. Are you planning any kind of update so that we can see our Toodledo list in the lock screen and/or the notification screen?
craig1f

Posted Sep 19, 2011 in: Idea for beginners: Recipes
  • craig1f
  • Posted: Sep 19, 2011
So, I had an idea that could make GTDs really cool that you guys might want to consider.

There's a site called ifttt.com, where you can create if this than that conditions like, if it's going to rain tomorrow, send me an email. Things like that. They get people started with a list of popular recipes that you just subscribe to, instead of building your own conditions.

I wonder if you could create a sort of Recipies list of things that people might want to subscribe to, that most people don't even think about. It would entice people to your service, and it would help unorganized people get more organized.

You could include sections like:
Home:
-Change Air filter: repeat every 3 months on the completion date
-Replace smoke alarm batteries: Repeat every year on the completion date
-Get Chimney cleaned: Repeat every two years on the completion date
-Vacuum: Repeat every Weekend(skip if ignored)
-Clean Fridge: Repeat every month on completion date
etc

Dogs:
-Apply flea & tick mediction: every month on completion date
-Give Heartworm meds: every month on completion date

etc.

So, people who are looking to organize their lives, but don't know where to start could browse your "recipes" or "common tasks" lists, and just click to add a task. This would be a great way for a beginner to get started in organizing their life. Obviously, don't call it recipes, because that would be a blatant rip-off of ifttt.com, even though you provide a different service.
craig1f

• craig1f
  • Posted: Sep 12, 2011
I think that will get extremely hairy from a complexity point of view, since you can already do this with a saved search and it accomplishes exactly the same thing. Better to just update the iPhone app to have access to all your saved searches than to add a new setting.

It seems like the power-users all believe that everything revolves around saved-searches. So if the iPhone simply has access to them, then everyone will be happy.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2011.
craig1f

• craig1f
  • Posted: Sep 10, 2011
I just got saved searches set up too, and I like it. The problem is I can't seem to find them on my iPhone app. Is there a way to use saved search lists on the iPhone? Right now, the iPhone list is a bit more cluttered up than the web browser list.
craig1f

Posted Sep 09, 2011 in: Postpone
  • craig1f
  • Posted: Sep 09, 2011
Thanks for the feedback btw. I didn't mean to look like I was coming out guns blazing.

To do lists have turned me from a disorganized slob into a highly organized and successful person in only a couple of years. I take them way too seriously.
craig1f

• craig1f
The quick add thing makes sense, that it's to capture a thought to be detailed later. But is there a way to make it so a task that is captured without a due date or any other information, goes to the top of the list, instead of to the bottom, so I actually remember to detail the thought later? I sort of want items without expiration dates to sit at the top. Those are usually items that I'll get to whenever I have spare time. I don't want them out of site and out of mind, you know?

I'm starting to see that saved searches is the way to go. That makes a lot of sense. I sort of liked the Hot List, but it seems that a hot list is just a normal list that's ordered by Importance, and doesn't show items too far into the future.
craig1f

• craig1f
Also:
8) When you import from RTM, for the "repeat" column, you don't distinguish between "after" and "every". So I had to go and fix every item I imported. On RTM "after" indicates repeat from completion, and "every" indicates repeat from due date. Fixing this will make it a little easier for those of us you wish to convert from RTM.

9) You should let me change the name of this topic to "Feature Requests from former RTM user" :-P
craig1f

• craig1f
I've been looking through help screens, but search doesn't work very well. For example, Quick Add provides no results. And looking up Start Time didn't get me anywhere. Also "How can I hide tasks that are due in the future?" does not solve my problem, since I'm trying to hide things that are due or start in less than 1 day.

So I would counter with a 7th item to improve Help search. But I'm not actually trying to be combative. I'm trying to give an honest perspective of someone who is attempting to switch over from RTM.

I should also point out that the iPhone app and the toodledo website are much faster and more responsive than RTM. I don't grow white hairs waiting for them to load as I do with RTM. I also prefer the added control over tasks. And subtasks are still somewhat useful for grouping multiple tasks in the same category. The wife seems to like it more too. But still, it seems less intuitive in the ways that I've mentioned.
craig1f

• craig1f
Also, if I put in a time, say 1:45, can't you just assume I mean "Today"? That's driving me nuts too!
craig1f

• craig1f
Ooops, I forgot to change the name of this post after I ended up adding 5 other topics. My fault. This should have been called "Feature Requests".
craig1f

• craig1f
I've seen a few of these suggestions already, but I wanted to chime in for my support for a few things. I've just recently (yesterday) switched from RTM, and here are the things I've found so far:
1) Postpone: Please add this. Also allow an advanced setting that will specify what the postpone does. Some events, I only want to postpone for a day (RTM's default). But in some cases a week might make more sense (if it's an item that can only be done on the weekend, for example).
2) Subtasks: Needs some element of dependency. I need to buy screws and picture frames before I can hang up those frames. Subtasks are ESSENTIAL for DIY home projects. That's 50% of why I came here from RTM, only to find that subtasks don't accomplish what I'd hoped.
3) Start Dates: Please allow us to override the setting where items will begin to show up if their start date is within a day. I like to fill out my timecard at work in the morning after the day I worked. I don't like that item to show up until the day I have it on my list. Other things like take vitamins are similar. I want a reminder in the morning or every day, but I don't want to see that task the day before. I always forget to take my fish oil because I don't like putting it on my todo list.
4) Locations: It's been two days, and I haven't figured out how to use this competently yet. It says that I can use a location-aware smart phone. I have an iPhone, and I can't seem to figure out Locations on it.
Edit: Figured it out. I have to set Locations as a Used Field in settings to activate Location features. Makes sense in retrospect, but not immediately obvious.
5) The gmail/google calendar widgets are lacking.
6) Quick Add: I should be able to say something like "Drop off dog at Groomer tomorrow" or "Leave to pick up the wife 5p".

This message was edited Sep 09, 2011.