ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by byerun"
byerun

Posted Feb 09, 2020 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
Score: 2
  • byerun
  • Posted: Feb 09, 2020
  • Score: 2
Thanks beertell for detailed comparison between Todoist and Amazing Marvin. I eliminated Todoist because it doesn't have support for start date (I'm surprised how many TMs are missing such a basic feature.) I ended up going with AM and found your write up on it pretty accurate.

AM has support for "label groups" which allows you define custom fields for a task with an icon for the field included in the task edit bar. I used this when converting my Toodledo status and context fields over.

One drawback to AM is it's support for priorities is an optional strategy which means you can have tasks without a priority defined, unlike Toodledo which lets you define a default priority if you don't specify one. This makes sorting and filtering by priority cumbersome. I do miss the table view Toodledo provides making it easier to sort and group by task fields and quickly see how tasks vary over these fields. The list view used by AM makes it harder for me to see task field values in the list at a glance. (Table view is in AM's long term roadmap.) I also miss Toodledo's ability to sort using the Importance formula. I'm not sure of any other tool that does something like that.

The drawbacks of AM compared to Toodledo are more than made up though by the rich feature set provided by AM. I've been using it for about 3 months know and I'm still exploring what all it's capable of doing.

Note that currently you can get a years subscription to AM for free at https://appsumo.com/amazing-marvin/.
byerun

Posted Dec 28, 2019 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
Score: 1
  • byerun
  • Posted: Dec 28, 2019
  • Score: 1
Well, after almost 10 years of using Toodledo I've jumped ship and moved on to Amazing Marvin. I've been dreading going through the migration of my hundreds of tasks to a new task manager but now that I've done it I'm glad it's over and I've been very pleased so for with Amazing Marvin.

Amazing Marvin has a direct import option for Toodledo CSV export files but I didn't find it reliable for my data so I took another route. If you're considering moving a large number of tasks to Amazing Marvin I've written up notes on the approach I took in case you find it helpful:
Toodledo to Amazing Marvin Conversion Notes.
byerun

Score: 0
  • byerun
  • Posted: May 23, 2019
  • Score: 0
Posted by mikehardy:
I haven’t used toodledo in a while but came back and it is doing this to me as well. Have you found a solution?

I actually maintain thunderlink (https://github.com/mikehardy/thunderlink) - a plugin that makes deep+durable clickable links to specific emails - specifically so I can cross-link with a todo system, so you can imagine I’m a bit surprised and peeved on this one...

I have not. My workaround is to move my note contents to Evernote and to instead provide the raw Evernote link (evernote://...) to my Evernote note with hyperlinks. This has the added advantage of not having my note format tied to the format used by my task manager making switching task managers easier.

Yes, I was surprised and peeved too to find that my notes can be modified by Toodledo itself.
byerun

• byerun
  • Posted: May 04, 2019
My links (i.e. creating links) have disappeared from my task notes! Instead I just see "creating links".

Besides the extreme inconvenience of having these links go away, it's troubling to know that my notes content is being modified by Toodledo.

Was there any warning about this?

Are my notes being modifying in any other way?

This message was edited May 04, 2019.
byerun

Posted Oct 17, 2018 in: Future Plans
  • byerun
  • Posted: Oct 17, 2018
Posted by Jimraz:
I have a gold subscription that's good until 7/2020. I will not renew at the new listed price of $89.99 per year. Looks like you're getting greedy.

I'm not following. The gold subscription seems to match closest to the new individual plan which is about $60/year. The $89.99/year you mentioned is for the business plan. Or am I missing something?
byerun

Posted Oct 17, 2018 in: Dark theme
  • byerun
  • Posted: Oct 17, 2018
Posted by halluzman:
To be honest, I don't understand why Toodledo team won't implement this themselves. I had almost no experience with CSS and this took me just one evening. I am sure experienced web-developer could do much better work much faster.

You could submit your request through https://roadmap.toodledo.com/feature-requests so it can be voted on by other users.
byerun

Posted Oct 08, 2018 in: Toodledo Update: September 2018
  • byerun
  • Posted: Oct 08, 2018
Posted by shelbyp:
For people with many saved searches, indeed creating a saved search based on another one might be helpful.

Hey, there's an idea worth voting on! :-)
byerun

Posted Oct 01, 2018 in: Toodledo Update: September 2018
  • byerun
  • Posted: Oct 01, 2018
Posted by shelbyp:
I would suggest to make it possible to optionally assign a Saved Search to be the HotList.

Can you elaborate some? I have my custom Hotlist based on a saved search and just name it _Hotlist (the underscore so it shows up 1st in my searches). You're saying allow this saved search show up when the Hotlist link is selected? In my case it wouldn't buy me anything because I have my saved search Hotlist as a link on my browser toolbar so it's just a click away.

I'd prefer to have it the other way around so that a condition in a saved search can be whether the task is in the Hotlist. That way I could use all the search features to further filter the Hotlist. Or allow a saved search to be used in the Scheduler tool so that my Hotlist can quickly be filtered based on time available and context.
byerun

Posted Sep 26, 2018 in: Toodledo Update: September 2018
Score: 5
  • byerun
  • Posted: Sep 26, 2018
  • Score: 5
Welcome on board Aaron!

I think you're smart to use a voting mechanism given all the options available to move Toodledo forward. A big challenge I see is keeping the "don't change anything" camp happy along with those of use who'd like to have our favorite features added to Toodledo (even if it means breaking existing behavior). Starting out I would recommend extending Toodledo while keeping existing usage intact. Examples would be adding additional options to the Hotlist criteria settings, or additional options to the scheduling tool. These would be fairly low risk ways of getting up to speed with code base and delivery process. Having the results of the community voting could be very helping in guiding such additions.

Good luck.
byerun

Posted Aug 14, 2018 in: New Homepage - feedback welcomed!
  • byerun
  • Posted: Aug 14, 2018
Looks good! You might also mention that task start dates are supported which is surprisingly missing on most other other task managers.
byerun

• byerun
  • Posted: Nov 05, 2017
In the new layout (unlike the old layout), when adding multiple subtasks at once to a parent task, the order of the subtasks listed under the parent is reversed from the order entered.

Is it possible to preserve the order entered as is done with the old layout? Most of the time my subtasks are done sequentially and it's natural to think of them as being done from top to bottom like they were entered.

Thanks.
byerun

Score: 3
  • byerun
  • Posted: May 29, 2017
  • Score: 3
I just stumbled upon my copy of the documents kindly provided by R. Welsh::

Toodledo Quick Start Guide.docx

Life Leadership 101.docx

byerun

Posted May 18, 2017 in: New layout- goals truncated
  • byerun
  • Posted: May 18, 2017
In the new tasks layout, when either selecting or viewing a goal for task, its name is truncated to about 21 characters. I have goals with common beginning characters at least this length, so in these cases I can't distinguish which goal to select or which one is associated with the task.

Ideally,
1) the drop down for goal selection would be wide enough or be expandable to show entire name or have a tooltip to shows the entire name.
2) The full name of the goal can be made visible when viewing a task.

In both old and new layout, the sidebar truncates the goals too without allowing the sidebar to be expanded.

If you're going to allow N number of characters for a goal name, then all N characters should be viewable when displaying goals in task views.
byerun

Posted Feb 09, 2017 in: Sorting by goals not alphabetical
  • byerun
  • Posted: Feb 09, 2017
Yes, I put the priority number in front of my goals assuming that when goals are sorted alphabetically they show up sorted by my priority.

But I now realize that the all the lifelong goals show up at top, the long-term goals show up together in the middle, and short-term goals show up at the bottom. Within each of these 3 groups, the goals are sorted alphabetically. So I can partially achieve what I want as long as I place a mental divider between each of these groups if that make sense.
byerun

Posted Feb 09, 2017 in: Sorting by goals not alphabetical
  • byerun
  • Posted: Feb 09, 2017
Since Toodledo doesn't support priorities for goals like is done for tasks, as a workaround I put a digit in front of my task names (1- top, 2- high, etc.) thinking if I sorted my Hotlist by goals I would see tasks related to high priority goals on top. However, the order of goals listed was not sorted based on the digits used. Since folders are sorted alphabetically when sorting by folders, I assumed this would also be the case for goals.

Is this a bug, or is there some other criteria used for sorting goals?
byerun

• byerun
  • Posted: Jul 30, 2016
It appears that when adding a task via email (https://www.toodledo.com/info/help_email.php) that includes the reminder field in the subject that this field is not always parsed correctly.

For example, I just sent an email that includes >2 days #20 days :10 days.

I would expect to have an alarm set for 10 days before the due date. However, the task created has a due date of 2016-08-19 with an alarm set for 14 days before the due date. If I use a reminder of 15 days the reminder is 30 days before the due date- before the start date!

Can it be confirmed that this is a bug and that I'm not using the reminder field incorrectly?
byerun

Posted Jun 15, 2016 in: Calendar Scheduler 3rd Party App
  • byerun
  • Posted: Jun 15, 2016
That sounds like it could be a useful tool for me in planning out activities for the day. The challenge I see in such an application though is that the Toodledo web app provides numerous ways for me to filter and order among my hundreds of tasks, so if a Windows application had a more limited way to view the tasks it might be challenging to sift through the tasks to find those to drag over to the calendar.
byerun

• byerun
  • Posted: Jun 05, 2016
I'm using a list for logging purposes and it would be helpful to have a column automatically filled with the date and time I created the row to add a log entry.

There's a Date + Time column type that's kind of close but there's not a "Now" button to select to current date + time. When selecting the current date from the calendar the time default to midnight so the current time must be manually entered. (I know there's tools like browser extensions that can automatically insert current time but unfortunately I can't install such tools in my work environment.)