ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Mark Ottaway"
Mark Ottaway

Posted Oct 25, 2011 in: Toodledo and iOS5
Score: 0
Hi and sincere thanks for the reply. That all makes sense.

Can I suggest that #1 above go into your To-Do list as well? I.e.:
- A Google Maps-like map interface (address/business search, current location, etc), and
- A search option to go into contacts to find an existing address.

Thanks for the prompt response (as always), folks.

Regards,
Mark
Mark Ottaway

Posted Oct 25, 2011 in: Toodledo and iOS5
Posted by Purveyor:
Toodledo already has reminders based on location. On your iOS device, go to Settings in Toodledo and then Field & Defaults and make sure that "Location" is in the list of "Fields Used". If not, then drag Location up from "Unused Fields" to "Fields Used" by using the 3-bar icon on the far right. Then go to Location Alarms in Settings.

On your iOS device, go to Settings, Notifications to put Toodledo in the Notification Center.

Hi

I am finding Location and location-based alerts almost unusable. "Location" is correctly in "Fields Used" and the iOS5 allows Toodledo under Settings > Notifications.

1. The first problem is with setting a Location. There appears to be no way to search contacts for an existing known address or to navigate and search the map that comes up except by painfully pinching/expanding and manually finding the address, then trying to hit the right spot with your finger. The map doesn't even have the traditional "centre map on my current location" tap option. (The first time one uses Location on iPhone or iPad, it also opens the map in random places, such as several continents away from you or the middle of the ocean!)

2. I would suggest Location Alarms be available by task as well as universally, and to allow settings such as "departing from Location" as well.

3. Where is the Help for Location Alarms? What does "Get Alerts" do for example (start/stop iPhone alert or is this for email alerts or something?) and what does "Sensitivity" change exactly? How does it work if you set a time alert and a Location alert?

Appreciate your help and apologies if this is obvious stuff I have missed.

Regards,
Mark
Mark Ottaway

Posted Jul 06, 2011 in: Automatically update web
The toodledo.com web interface is very good, but one annoying feature of the use of Web 2.0-type functionality is that the tabs at the top of the page and a few other things don't refresh themselves.

Taking folder tabs as an example, if a new task is added to, say, "Next Actions" the item count does not correctly increase by one until you refresh the page. This can be quite a problem when you have items arriving into a default folder and that is not obvious until you refresh or go to the folder.

There are many other small examples of functions that need to be refreshed to be correct. E.g. calendars not updating what "Today", "Tomorrow", etc mean once midnight passes until the page is refreshed, new tabs resulting from adding a folder/context/tag/whatever on another platform (e.g. mobile) completely missing until a refresh is performed, and so on.

I'm no coder, but I imagine a forced browser page refresh fairly regularly would be an easy way to address this, plus a refresh every time a new task is added, etc.
Mark Ottaway

Posted Mar 25, 2011 in: SNOOZING
Hi Toodledo guys. I'd just like to add my "+1" vote to this issue.

I'm a Pro subscriber and facing a renewal decision fairly soon. I really love Toodledo and have converted many people to it.

HOWEVER this issue is probably my single biggest gripe with Toodledo - having no snooze on mobile is a major obstacle to it being as useful as it should be for Getting Things Done!

When I'm at my desktop no problem, as I integrate with Outlook and can snooze the reminders. But handling important alerts on mobile when I'm away from my desk is a pain. E.g. When you're in the middle of a meeting and don't have time to go and set up another Toodledo Task just because you've received a reminder. Far too much tapping and typing to be possible.

I know Apple are a right royal pain in the ... neck and the alert functionality (lack of) is a major issue on iOS in general.

However, with respect, I think it's a bit of a cop-out to just blame Apple and do nothing.

As has pointed out in numerous threads in the forum, there would be ways of quickly entering the app from the alert and creating a new reminder based on that. Other apps are able to do this already pretty well and make up for Apple's shortcomings until they sort themselves out (if ever!).

My 5c ... !

Cheers,
Mark
Mark Ottaway

Posted Aug 15, 2010 in: Reminders: what's the best way?
Hi Peter

Thanks for your comments. Reassuring to hear it's not just me being stupid! :)

Like you, interested in what others may have found to help with this.

Cheers,
Mark

PS. Unfortunately an iPhone calendar sync'd with Exchange doesn't allow a second alert as Exchange doesn't support this. SO that option ... which would be soooo handy ... is not available for everyone.

This message was edited Aug 15, 2010.
Mark Ottaway

Not sure how others feel, but I find it annoying and restrictive that a Task is not shown as "overdue" until the day after it was due, even though it has a Due Time on in.

In my view, if a task has a Due Time loaded then it is immediately overdue when that time passes and should show as such. Otherwise Toodledo is limited to longer term larger projects and not useful for short-term stuff.

If the task is "remember the milk" (if I'm allowed to use that phrase here! :), due at 6pm today so I remember to get it on the way home from work, if I check my phone at 6:30pm it should show as overdue. It's not use showing tomorrow as overdue ... I'm already in trouble with my wife by then!

Cheers,
Mark
Mark Ottaway

Posted Aug 14, 2010 in: Reminders: what's the best way?
I've been using PIMs, Smartphones and GTDs for many years but am new to both iPhone and Toodledo after a recent upgrade to iPhone 4. A newbie question to this forum as I'm sure there are heaps of you out there who have this completely sussed.

I still struggle to use iPhone/Toodledo/calendar usefully compared to what I've been used to with WinMo, Android, Palm. The main problem is that reminders for events (To Dos, calendar items, etc) appear once and once only. With no ability to snooze and with the next reminder wiping out the last one if you haven't noticed it, I keep missing things when I am away from my laptop and relying solely on my iPhone for reminders.

People have always thought I'm amazingly well organised and have a great memory ... now I'm being exposed for what I am as it was always my technology that made me appear that way! :)

I'm sure this is very resolvable, so I'm curious how the experienced Toodledo/iPhone folk on this forum manage those issues. What tricks do you have for:

1. Handling reminders that appear at an inconvenient time - e.g. in a meeting. I.e. something that needs to be reminded again in say an hour?

2. Handling multiple reminders that mean earlier ones get lost when you're relying on push notifications?

3. Using Toodledo generally to ensure you don't miss things?

Would really appreciate your insights!

Cheers,
Mark