ForumsNewsAddition of Start Date and Status

Addition of Start Date and Status
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 12, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
We have added two new fields that you can include on your to-do list to record important information about your tasks.

Start Date is a new field that you can use in conjunction with Due Date to bookend a project or event. Because tasks with a future start date will be hidden from your list, this can be a useful field to use when you don't want to be bothered about a task until a certain date has arrived. You can always reveal any hidden tasks by turning off your filters.

Status is a new field that can be used to keep track of projects that are active or deferred. There are a variety of values that you can choose from, and there is a new filter that can be used to hide tasks that are deferred or inactive.
vegheadjones

Very interesting!

Will you have a view by start date and view by status as a top tab? Once that's set I can start using this.
Bob

On repeating tasks if there is a 5 day separation between the start and due date it would be nice if both dates would move forward in time and maintain that separation after being checked off.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestion. Currently, only the due-date is adjusted when a task repeats.
jeff.covey

thanks for this! i'm looking forward to trying it out. it will be much cleaner than the workarounds of marking "someday" items with -1 priority, tagging tasks with "@waiting", etc. i second the suggestion of having start dates carry forward on repeating items. my todo list is always cluttered with upcoming items i don't need to see now.
Roman

Posted: May 13, 2008
Status is just what I needed. Thanks. Only one thing: At least in Firefox 2 on my Mac a double click on the task description in list view brings up the status field somehow. It´s a bit confusing as
a) it does not display the status of the task, but "none"
b) it´s making it a bit difficult to to place the cursor in the description to edit a certain part of the description.

is that a bug (there aren´t really many of these around), or some intended behaviour i just don´t understand?
wsaville

Posted by Roman:
Status is just what I needed. Thanks. Only one thing: At least in Firefox 2 on my Mac a double click on the task description in list view brings up the status field somehow. It´s a bit confusing as
a) it does not display the status of the task, but "none"
b) it´s making it a bit difficult to to place the cursor in the description to edit a certain part of the description.

is that a bug (there aren´t really many of these around), or some intended behaviour i just don´t understand?

This is true for FireFox 3.0 for Windows also. It began to drive me crazy this morning when I wanted to change a description!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Wow that is a strange bug. I have just confirmed it and we will get that fixed ASAP.

Thanks for reporting it.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Fixed. But you may need to hit the refresh button on your web browser to get the fix.
Roman

gee, that was fast. thanks, jake :-)
colinmbuckley

Super! With so many competitors out there, it's great to see Toodledo is alive and growing its capabilities.

Is an editable "Completed Date" coming soon? :-)

C

PS. Thanks for fixing the regular website so that it's a scrollable on the iPhone!
jdoree

These are great additions. The only problem is I now have way too many columns.

Perhaps fields could be configurable as to whether or not they show up in your list view. Some fields I need to be present when I add a task but I don't need them to be in the list view. For example, start date should be there when adding a task so that a task will show up at the appropriate date.

Is there already a way to do this that I don't know of?

Keep up the great work!
colinmbuckley

Posted by jdoree:

Perhaps fields could be configurable as to whether or not they show up in your list view. Some fields I need to be present when I add a task but I don't need them to be in the list view. For example, start date should be there when adding a task so that a task will show up at the appropriate date.

Keep up the great work!

Another option would be a view similar to some other task management programs, such as Palm's Desktop application. They keep a clean interface by showing only a few fields in the task list (e.g. task name, completion box, and maybe configurable sort-items), but the rest of the task properties show up in a side box which automatically changes as you move from task to task. That way, it's not an all-or-nothing column view.

C
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestions. This is definitely something that we will need to address as we add more and more fields.
J-Mac

Thanks for this feature! Very nice addition - one of the best for GTD followers in particular, I imagine. Very nice indeed!

I agree that printing is getting tougher. Firefox in particular is a notoriously poor browser with regard to its printing. Terrible in the way it renders pages for printing. Also, on many web sites it simply cannot print anymore than the first page. Glad that Toodledo is not one of those sites!

For many pages that I cannot get to print well in Firefox, I use the "Opera View" extension to open that page in Opera and print it from there. Opera can print almost any web page nicely. Except Toodledo, unfortunately. Opera for some reason takes the columns that run past the right edge of the page and wraps them. That make the wrapped data not match up with the column headers and makes for a printout that at first looks nice - until you actually try to read the details. Then you notice that the wrapped information is way out of whack!

When printing my Toodledo ToDo's now I usually have to go into settings, remove three or four fields that hurt the least, print the ToDo's, and then go back into settings and add the fields back into my ToDo's.

Needless to say, I try not to print them often.

The booklets could make up for all that if they were more user-configurable. Either that or find a way to be able to pull Toodledo's data into PocketMod or RePocketMod, where you can select any data and order that you want.

Thanks!

Jim
Jeremy

@J-Mac

You might want to try Camino.....My pages print out just fine...
Jon

Posted: May 15, 2008
Posted by jdoree:

Keep up the great work!

I second this. I don't like to have to scroll to the right to add a task and I now have too many columns to fit on the screen, even with the side bar hidden. Love all the new features, though. Excellent job! Jon
Simone

Posted: May 16, 2008
Hi,
I neticed that the hide future tasks does not work in hotlist view for task with a start date in the future...
is that a feature or a bug?
Simone
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 16, 2008
bug :)
kleerkoat

Posted: May 19, 2008
Not sure if this was mentioned.

Possible to get this into the "Add multiple tasks" area?

Thanks.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.