ForumsNewsNuevasync enables task syncing to Windows Mobile, Nokia and Palm

Nuevasync enables task syncing to Windows Mobile, Nokia and Palm
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 01, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
A third party company called Nuevasync has just announced syncing support between Toodledo and Windows Mobile, Nokia and Palm Pre devices.
Anders

No way! That is awesome! I already use Nuevasync to get my Google Calendar, contacts, etc. Onto my WM phone. I can't wait to set this up.
Anders

Well, I am not quite as excited about this as I was before. Task sync requires the paid NuevaSync service ($25/yr). That is not too bad. However, the WM PIM (Pocket Outlook) does not support task hierarchy, and I'm not sure it's worth it to me to pay 25 bucks to get all my tasks flattened out on my phone. I am currently trying to set it up using NuevaSync's 3 day premium trial, and we'll see how it goes. It's too bad that there is really no other benefit for WM users getting a premium account with NuevaSync.
Anders

So it seems to sync task Title, Due Date, Priority, and Notes. No repeats sync, but that should be fine as long as completions sync back to Toodledo to get the tasks regenerated (it just means repeats created on the phone will only regenerate from the phone, so probably best to create them on Toodledo). Honestly, for a new service it's not bad. Having no subtasks is a serious handicap (not NuevaSync's fault of course), but seeing my tasks on my phone at all is really pretty cool. I will probably continue with the premium service after my trial expires. One way or another, I think this is a really cool new connection, and another sign of Toodledo's imminent online task management hegemony.
david

Hi, I'm from NuevaSync. We do attempt to convert repeating tasks (new code for repeats was deployed last night, so as long as you've resynced since then they should convert). There are some semantic differences in the repeat capabilities between Toodledo and the devices and we're continuing to work to improve our conversion code.

It might be possible to represent subtasks by encoding the hierarchy in the task name. Any suggestions on this are welcome.

Note that if you use our email sync you can search for messages on the server (not currently possible with Google's service). Also you can use any IMAP server, not only GMail.
david

Posted: Oct 02, 2009
Posted by david:
We do attempt to convert repeating tasks (new code for repeats was deployed last night, so as long as you've resynced since then they should convert).

It's come to my attention that we didn't have the repeating task code on our free servers until tonight. So since you were a free trial user, you wouldn't have had that capability (hence it didn't work!).
Anders

Posted: Oct 03, 2009
Hmmm....
I'm still not seeing my recurrences. Maybe I have to reset sync?

Also, it appears that Tags sync to Categories which I did not initially realize. That is not a bad way to go, though I would have thought that Folders would be the most obvious choice. Personally, the thing I need most is Toodledo Status, but I think Tags are a good way to go since you can have multiple Tags on Toodledo, and Multiple Categories in Pocket Outlook.

I am also very interested to know more about this possibility of trying to smuggle hierarchy in with the task names, though I am not really sure what is meant (Adding some sort of characters to designate parent/subtasks?/Adding the parent task name to the end of all its subtask names?/Or something else). Anyway, perhaps the NuevaSync forum is a more appropriate place for those sorts of discussions, although I am impressed that a company representative has already made 2 trips to these forums to respond to feedback.

By the way, I want to mention that NuevaSync's support has been excellent for me. I had a problem getting my tasks set up for sync (stupid mistake on my part), and they quickly diagnosed the problem and responded to me. That alone is a good reason to consider NuevaSync over other options like Google. For WM, there is really no comparison there. Google only lets you sync 1 pathetic calendar. NuevaSync gives you up to 50 (even free accounts get 11). NuevaSync also lets you choose from non-google services (like Toodledo and Plaxo), and as David mentioned, search through all your email. But really, the fact that I can get help (which is a long shot at best with Google) and sync my tasks is reason enough for me to go with NuevaSync on my WM phone.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.