ForumsNewsNew action button and moving note icons

New action button and moving note icons
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 08, 2010
Score: 3 Reference
Today we are rolling out two improvements.

1) It is now possible to move the "Note" and "File Attachment" icons (file attachments are for Pro Plus Subscribers) to the left side of the task adjacent to the other icons. To do this, go into your account settings and under "Show Tasks as" choose "Grid" and click the checkbox to put the icons on the left. This was a popular feature request.

2) Prior to now, we had a hidden popup menu that would appear when you hovered your mouse over the checkbox for a few seconds. In hindsight we realize that this was a bad idea for several reasons. First, there was no visible indication that this secret menu existed, so few people discovered it. We often got feature requests for functionality that we had already made and put into this popup menu. Second, with the rise of mouseless computers (iPad and other tablets), the concept of "hovering your mouse" doesn't exist, so if you don't have a mouse you can't access the menu even if you wanted to.

So, we have made a new clickable icon near the checkbox and we have moved all the actions from the hover menu to this new location. This will make Toodledo function better on tablet computers and will make the actions in this popup menu more obvious and quicker to access.
IceHeartX

Score: 0 Reference
Fantastic! The note icon was always a pain for me, having it on the left is going to be very nice
Dallin

Cool! You guys rock. I am a Toodledo evangelist.. I sign everyone I know up with you!

While you're fixing stuff, any chance of getting folders to display vertically? I have too many, and I like to see them all without clicking "more"
Linden

Yay! These are nice upgrades. There's going to be a short adjustment period while I get used to parsing the new clump of icons, but this has greatly improved the usability of the page for me.

Thanks, Toodledo!
Quang

Hey Cool,

Thanks for these updates. The Note Icon on the left seems to work better for me! Now it's more noticeable when a task has an attached note.

The action icon will take some time to get use to, but so far is not that distracting...

Keep up the great work,

Quang
jdreed99

You guys are the best! I just noticed that a minute ago. Not having to scroll to the right to add a note will be wonderful. Thanks so much.
davemvasquez

These are great improvements! Thank you! One suggestion for the future...since we now have the awesome new actions icon, it would be great to have an option where you could turn off the "Add a Subtask" line which appears after the last subtask in a list. It seems redundant but more so, it would really make viewing the subtasks a lot more clean and easy to read.

Thanks again and keep up the great work!
eykanal

Score: 1 Reference
Regarding item 2, I think its once again time to reiterate the "please hire a UI designer" motif. Its a good and well-intentioned idea, but it generates a tremendous amount of visual cruft, and there are certainly better ways that it can be implemented.

Instead of giving my two cents as to HOW to fix it, I'll just stick with the "hire a good UI guy and make him fix it" idea.
David Navarro

Adding the "lego" icon is a great usability update. Thanks.
zsterling

Thanks, I like the new usability.

While you are pondering an upgraded UI, I'd like to throw out the idea of being able to see Goals nested in a hierarchical manner. It would help me greatly. Keep up the great work!
PeterW 

Very nice - thanks Jake!

Is there any chance the 'hand' icon (for dragging tasks) could be grayed out just a bit? It looks quite dominant alongside the new icon.

Actually, it would be even nicer if you could just change this icon to something like this: which these days seems to be the default icon used for draggable items.
Transisto

Fantastic, The most useful update in the last 6 month,

Question to dev : How is it any harder to make the "Trash", The "Lego", The "Note" ect, To be movable around by drag and drop like all other columns eg: "Timer" ?

I had to come back to this forum to find out How to do it, Helas!, It's a new setting in some different category where it does not belong.
into your account settings and under "Show Tasks as" choose "Grid" and click the checkbox

I am very happy about this update,
But you've added, yet again, another layer of clusterf*ck, especially to new users and those not following this forum.

Update: ?????? The "due date pop-up" don't behave as usual (disappeared when mouse was out). !!! You don't speak about it,,, If this is intentional at least add a "OK / CANCEL" button.

This message was edited Jun 08, 2010.
Jrakes

The new clickable action box has one very serious problem in my book: when it is clicked, the name of the task is obscured. I believe it needs to be moved down so that it's appearance is more like the hand tool (when the hand options appear, the task in question is shown as a colored/selected line and the hand options can be read just below the task line). Far superior. Other possibilities might be if the action options box were smaller, shifted left, or transparent to let the task be visible through it.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the feedback and for reporting the bug about the due-date box not disappearing properly. This bug has been fixed.
Jerry

Posted: Jun 09, 2010
In my case it moves the notes icon AND the trash icon to the left. The addition of both icons is too wide for that column forcing the trash icon to another line, effectively making the list twice as long/half the number of tasks per screen.

Firefox 3.6.3 on Windows 7 64 bit.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Jerry, we were not able to reproduce that bug. Can you please create a support ticket and attach a screenshot?
Mackley

Good! Nice idea the actions icon !

For the first improvement... I do not know, I prefer multi-line view
Boxin

Well done. Having the note icon at the left will surely help speed up my work efficiency.

By the way, it's been often discussed in the forum that the project icon and subtask icon look very similar, can you please change one of the two to something else for quicker and easier identification? Thanks.
jfiala.prague

Great update - thanks Toodledo! I am a multi-line user though and I have to admit that it would be handy to be able to distinguish ToDo's with and without a note to it on a first sight. Are you planning on implementing the note icon to the multi-line view as well?

I would actually prefer the grid view, but only if there was the option to put columns in a custom order... Would that be possible in the future as well?

Once again - you're doing a great job though and Toodledo + the iPhone app are used just as frequently as my Mail client! Thanks a lot for making our lives easier!
brevious

Hey, Two most expected enhancements are there now ! Great, keep the good job and thanks for listening to your clients expectation. Fabien - France
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.