ForumsQuestionsToodledo is too complex?

Toodledo is too complex?
Task List

Posted: Jun 21, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
I switched to Toodledo from Remember The Milk about 4 months ago. Since then, despite all the time I've spent learning how to work with ToodleDo, my productivity has slowed to a crawl - I've even had to get a paper based system to facilitate my ToodleDo workflow

I've been reading the forums; I'm familiar with GTD concepts; I consider myself to be quite productive especially when compared to my colleagues. Regardless, I feel as though I'm spending more time trying to tweak my system than I am actually adding and completing tasks.

This has gone from the best task management system to the most convoluted task workflow, IMO. Before I completely jump ship and abandon this excellent application can any of you provide any insight as to what I may be missing? Keep in mind, my todo list has 300 - 400 items on it.

Here are a couple of current issues:
1. ToDo: The only view that I consider relevant is the calendar view; this is the only I way I can see what's on the list for today/tomorrow/etc.

2. Goals: I've started playing around with the goals and after assigning a task to a goal my goal still shows 0 tasks in the "Goals" view.

Any insight is appreciated. I don't want to move to yet another app, moving this many tasks around is cumbersome.

Thanks in advance!
Brian.
Salgud

Score: 0 Reference
Not sure what you're saying, exactly, other than TD isn't working for you and RTM did. Seems like you probably ought to go back. I tried RTM for a while, and found I was endlessly tweaking, as you're doing now with TD.

I don't know why you haven't found any useful views, unless you've not tried Saved Searches. The views I've created for myself are the ones I use 80% of the time. That's where I see what is due Today/tomorrow, etc. Have you tried using them? Lots of help in the Help screens.

As for Goals, I used them briefly for a while, then dropped them, then tried using them again. In the interim, they'd become much more complex than they used to be and I can't get any links to appear on the chains, and I'm just too busy to spend time fooling with them, for now. They seem to work fine for others. AFAIK, tasks aren't supposed to appear in the Goals view, just the chain and your note. Have you looked at the Goals Help Screens?

Finally, it seems to me that 300-400 tasks is overwhelming. I don't believe that anyone can do justice to any one task if they have that many active tasks at one time, nor can any task management system help with the real issue. My experience is that this is usually some combination of "Business" addiction and a "Never-Say-No" compulsion. I've worked with a lot of people with one or both of these, and haven't yet met one who was in any way effective. Mostly they just run up and down the hallways with their hair on fire. We even had a guy come on these forums a while back bragging that he had 1600 items on his task list, and wanting to start a thread for a p***ing contest over who had the most tasks on his/her list! Would you consider simplifying your life a bit? This might help:

http://bit.ly/iMVfLv

Unless of course, you're too busy. :)
Task List

Score: 1 Reference
Thanks for the reply. It seems a lot of us (at least in my industry) are too busy to see the forest through the trees!

Indeed 300 - 400 tasks is way too much for anyone trying to keep their head above water. I understand that it's hard for others to gauge my real issue here because I'm having trouble articulating it - most likely due to being overwhelmed with too many tasks.

Since my post 1 hr ago I've learned that the Goals view shows a completed task count and not a tally of current incomplete tasks. I've also stumbled upon a post that makes a lot more sense with my approach to task management. It's a simple but highly effective post by Alisa: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/3/1357/-6143/read.html

This is what really helped:
"Goals = Goals
Folders = Roles
Tasks = Projects
Subtasks = Tasks
Contexts = Locations
Statuses = Status
Tags = Contacts"
(Thanks Alisa!)

The only custom views I use now are saved searches to help me rollover incomplete tasks from today to tomorrow's list. Sounds like a little more knowledge in this area will take me a long way.

I'm also sensing a little nudge towards the Help Screens :-) Most of what I've learned so far has been through the forums. Sounds to me like I haven't been accessing all the available resources. I am a video engineer by trade and over-complicating systems is what I do. Maybe a fresh approach will simplify things for me with TD.

I don't want to go back to RTM so I'm going to continue my time investment here with TD. Thanks for taking it easy on this TD newb and my ignorance.

Have a great day!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.