ForumsQuestionssubtask

subtask
prm

Posted: Mar 10, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
when a subtask is added - it gets added to the list.
only issue is that it gets added in between instead of at the of the existing subtask list.
Request for adding subtasks in an order.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 10, 2008
Subtasks are sorted the same way that your tasks are sorted. So, if you are currently sorting your tasks by priority, the subtasks within each task will also be sorted by priority. So, when you add a new subtask, it will be sorted with all the other subtasks and may appear at the top, middle or bottom.

We do not yet have a way to manually sort subtasks into an arbitrary user-defined fixed order, but this may be added in the future.
Shawn Dowler

Posted: Mar 11, 2008
I think a great way to add such functionality would be to allow tasks to be dependent on other tasks. This could then allow you to list in order of dependency so all dependent subtasks would appear below the ones they depend on.

This would be great in general for breaking up a project into tasks and only showing "next actions" in the to-do list until the prerequisites have been met.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 11, 2008
Yes, task dependencies is also something that is on our to-do list. It is one of our more frequently received suggestions.
Brad

Posted: Mar 13, 2008
I would like to add my vote for task dependencies. Also, it would be great if the user could specify a Start Date for a task. Certain tasks can't be worked on until a certain date. Since there's currently no way to enter a Start Date, these tasks are constantly distracting the user's attention from tasks that can be worked on immediately.

I realize that you can partially alleviate this problem using negative priorities, but then when the actual start date does come around, you can easily forget about the task. Using a Start Date would be analogous to a negative priority that automatically becomes a positive priority on the specified date.

I also realize that you can use due date modifiers, but this doesn't really solve the problem, because if you specify a due date with a greater than modifier or equal modifier, it still shows up in your To-Do list starting one week from the due date.

This message was edited Mar 13, 2008.
prm

Posted: Mar 14, 2008
I have been using subtasks for quite some time now. Somehow subtasks organization, view and display is not user friendly. I have seen the same in similar softwares. they are well organized and very useful too. I request for a new way of adding, view, display of subtasks.
why can't we use tree structure for subtasks ???
vegheadjones

Posted: Mar 15, 2008
Another vote for start dates, and not just for sutasks...
tjreo

Posted: Mar 15, 2008
Another vote for both task dependencies and start dates.

I have gotten to the point where there are so many tasks in my to do list that I need robust ways of filtering. Task dependencies and start dates make for GREAT filters.
jas

Posted: Mar 18, 2008
Me too on task dependencies!
korbas

Posted: Mar 18, 2008
If you click on the subtask icon to the left of the description, it actually will load the parent and subtasks together temporarily. It's better than nothing, but a way to more easily define it would be ideal.
tjreo

Posted: Mar 20, 2008
I am making an attempt at using subtasks.

The biggest issue I see so far, after creating only three subtasks under the same task, is that I need them in a strict order. Alphabetical listing doesn't work for me here. I need to be able to order them and no matter how the view is sorted, they should stick to that order.

Dependencies would work wonderfully well for this.

I am running ethernet wiring to a new location in my home. The tasks must be performed in order.
1) Cut drywall hole for remodel box
2) Run ethernet wiring from home run location to the new location
3) Attach ends to wires
4) Connect wires and test.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 21, 2008
Until we implement dependencies, you could just put those steps into the note of the task instead of creating individual subtasks. Then when you complete each step you can just modify the note.

Hope that helps
jmhowell

Posted: Mar 28, 2008
I want subtasks to show up and STAY NESTED. They nest when I click on the parent task icon, but every time I reload or change the screen, they un-nest. This is aggravating. Is there a way to make them stay nested?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 28, 2008
They stay nested in folder view, but not in the other views. This is intentional because otherwise you may not notice a subtask that needs attention because it is hidden beneath its parent. For example, if a subtask is due today, but the parent task has no due-date, the subtask needs to be brought out and displayed in the "Today" tab in the Due-Date view. If it wasn't, you would not know that it needed to be done today.

It is explained in more detail here: http://www.toodledo.com/info/subtasks.php

Hope that helps
Biznik

Posted: Apr 03, 2008
I've finally realized that when working on a project all the auto-sort stuff is ultimately unhelpful (for me at least). The steps to complete a project most often have a logical sequence of steps. "I need to first do X, then I'll be able to do Y, then Z". I'm convinced that this is the main problem of pretty much every current online to-do list:
The don't allow for manual sorting.

I use iGTD which thankfully gives me the option between switching between 'natural' (manual) sorting and automatic sorting.

Automatic sorting is helpful on the level of projects --what is due when; what priority; etc. But when it comes to specific tasks, I REALLY think that not having a manual/sequential way of ordering is a major shortcoming.

Next time you're doing a project with multiple tasks, think about the logical flow of steps and the peace that comes knowing what step needs to be done first to get the next done, and so on and so on...

-Leif
tjreo

Posted: Apr 03, 2008
Posted by SparkGuy:
I use iGTD which thankfully gives me the option between switching between 'natural' (manual) sorting and automatic sorting.

... But when it comes to specific tasks, I REALLY think that not having a manual/sequential way of ordering is a major shortcoming.

Amen to that.
Renaud

Posted: Apr 07, 2008
And here I am, another new user coming from both Things and iGTD, and another vote for start dates and task dependency.

Simple use for start dates: display the "pay the rent" task only at the appropriate time of the month :)
Steven

Posted: Apr 21, 2008
Just started kicking Toodledo's tires. Considering jumping the Vitalist ship.

Seems that it makes most sense to treat a GTD Project as a Toodledo Task and a GTD Action as a Toodledo Subtask. So, for example, within my "Dance Club" folder I can define several projects (tasks), each with its associated actions (subtasks). Wish the terminology was closer to GTD--it would flatten the learning curve.

Among my actions, there is one of special significance within each project: the "next action". Typically, this action is to be done "as soon as possible" and before any of the other actions which make up the project. My next actions frequently don't have due dates associated with them: I just need to do them "as soon as possible". Once I have completed the "next action", another action becomes the new "next action." I'm assuming this is what is meant by "dependency" at its most basic.

This could be greatly streamlined in Toodledo if the following features were available.

1) Manual sorting of subtasks so that I could see them in a list in the order they need to be completed. (This is not the same as sorting them by due date, priority etc.)

First Action
Second Action
Third Action

2) Define the task at the top of the list to be the "next action" (e.g. automatically tag it with a "next action" tag). Allow sorting and finding by "next action" in the various views of my tasks.

3) When I check off the task at the top of my list to indicate that I have completed it, the following task is automatically promoted to the "next action" without requiring any further intervention on my part.

I believe such behaviour would be extremely efficient and GTD-focussed.

Thanks,

Steven
vegheadjones

Posted: Apr 22, 2008
I prefer using folders as GTD-projects, tasks as actions and priorities to show the next actions. Not sure I would prefer using subtasks in the way you envisioned.
jdoree

Posted: Apr 22, 2008
I'm with vegheadjones. That's how I use Toodledo as well.

I jumped ship from Vitalist in summer 2007.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.