ForumsQuestionsGoogle calendar sync in real time

Google calendar sync in real time
Eric Mazateau

Posted: Nov 14, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
I'm very happy with the way Toodledo allow me to manage my task on the web app. It's clear, compact, efficient.

On the other hand, google calendar sync felt very poor to me since the very begining.
This integration is done though a readonly calendar which is updated scarcelly (I read somewhere in the help pages that it was once per day).

Last weekend, I was pointed to another task management software while looking for some tips using evernote. I had time on my hand so I gave it a look and created a test task for fun.
Plop ! The task appeared on my google calendar on my spare computer.
Coincidence with the daily update ?
I created a second task ... Plop ! It appeared on my google calendar in a second.
Same with the third, fourth, ...
I created on the same day, on different day, whole day or specific hour ... plop ! On my googlecalendar in a second.

At that point, I was like "Wow !"

But then I got a silly idea.
It's very common for me to set a task to be completed on a given day but become overwhelmed with issue in the office and had to reschedule the task.
So my silly idea was : what happens if I move one of those test task on my google calendar ?
So I tried ... and the date changed also in that task software I was trying.

This made me goes from "wow !" to "... !" as all the implication of simplicity and ease of use jumped into my mind.

Of course, I like Toodledo but I still need to think when I use it.
Going for "Wait, it's 5pm and I'm still struggling with the issues that occured this morning. Lets drag and drop all planned task for today to several other days when I have space between my meetings" is impossible currently in tooldedo. It require two windows (calendar & toodledo) to be open and several click for each task.
During that test I did with this other software, I just had to drag and drop in a second on my google calendar ! It's a major pain release.

Until now, I have been told by the help pages that "for google, it's once per day and readonly and nothing can be done about it".
Clearly, it's not true anymore.
Realtime sync (or at least few second sync) is possible and bi-directional.

I tried to look for any "in developpement" or "planned improvement" post but was unable to find it.
So can you tell us if any Google Calendar Sync is planned ?
Do you intend to set such realtime sync with googlecalendar in any near futur ?

That other tool is "Nozbe 2.0".
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 14, 2011
Yes, better Google Calendar Sync is planned.

Thanks
Mark Carruthers

Posted: Nov 21, 2011
I think I know the software he is referring to, a nice competitor, probably the best competitor. Toodledo won me after two weeks of using both to see which really "works". There are little things Toodledo (app) does like clickable links in the notes, reverting to the start screen after so long, swapping back to the main list after making a change automatically. And frankly, I got tired of seeing my face next to every task (online) and at a focal point in the "created" and "responsible" area of the competitor's app. There are goods and bads to every solution but Toodledo has the most goods. Just the fact that Toodledo is here in the support forums says a lot about their company.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.