ForumsQuestionsindentation in notes

indentation in notes
david_1337552093

Posted: May 21, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
Hi,

I am a fan of indentation inside notes and find it a little difficult to deal with from the web interface. To give you an example of a task, which is in my "waiting for"-folder:

Media PC 90 Watt power supply (due by May 27)

now in the note I wrote:
if package there
Then test it out 10 min (the 10 min is a time estimate)
if test successful
pay 16€ to parents account
else send back 10 min
Else look for package 10 min

As you can see I am using conditions like in a programming language, which I find helpful and intuitive. To write such a little note fast I would want to use tab for indenting. Problem is, that the shortcut "tab" means the following:
Tab/Shift+Tab - Navigate left or right in a form or in a list when editing a field.
Is there a way to turn off just the tab-shortcut instead of all shortcuts or is it possible to disable the tab-shortcut, when in "note-writing" mode?
This feature would be super helpful to me.

Best Regards
David Gretzschel

This message was edited May 21, 2012.
david_1337552093

oh and also, the indentaitions I am currently making(4 spaces) do not show up when viewing the task. Only when editing a task I can see them.
Salgud

In place of indentations, I just use a dash.
david_1337552093

if package there
-Then test it out 10 min (the 10 min is a time estimate)
--if test successful
---pay 16€ to parents account
---else send back 10 min
-Else look for package 10 min

like this? Well I guess its possible, but I think it's worse than single/double/triple indentations.
I actually tried to use indentations in my first post, but the autoformat does not show them.
simon

It's a pity that Notes hasn't kept up with the rest of the app's development. There are some great notes apps out there now but it would be so much better to have them integrated. Meanwhile, if you're looking for indented notes, try Workflowy, it's pretty good.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
In HTML (the language used to present information on websites), multiple adjacent whitespace characters are always collapsed down to 1 space. Also, tab characters are not traditionally supported. If you try to tab inside a gmail message or other text box you will find that it probably won't work. Supporting tabs and multiple adjacent spaces is somewhat tricky. We do have plans to look into this in the future. In the meantime, try the - trick or if you want to get technical you can type " " to insert a space character that will not get collapsed.

This message was edited May 21, 2012.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.