ForumsQuestionsArbitrary select for multi-edit... are we there yet?

Arbitrary select for multi-edit... are we there yet?
MikZ

Posted: May 31, 2012
Score: -1 Reference
This isn't the first time this feature has been asked for: https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/2035/0/batch-edit-in-toodledo.html

Since that post is three years old, and it's a pretty basic feature to expect, I thought I'd ask in this forum whether this is possible yet.

I can't construct a query for 'tasks I think are important enough to bump up in priority for the month' by criteria; I just need to go through and select them one-by-one by gut feeling. But then I have to expand them one-by-one... and change their priority one-by-one... it'd be nice if I could just tick checkboxes and load them into the multi-editor, or better yet, use the arrow keys and the space bar or something. Surely we're able to do that by now! What am I missing?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 01, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
If you switch to viewing your list in "grid mode" then changing the priority of a task is a 2 click operation, so you can go down your list and quickly adjust the priorities almost as fast as the method that you have described. The current way is probably faster for less than a few dozen tasks. I admit that your way is faster once you get to many tasks that you need to multi-edit.

Multi-edit from anywhere is an item on our to-do list, but I cant give an ETA.
MikZ

Posted: Jun 01, 2012
Score: 1 Reference
Hmmm... yes, two clicks is better than four. Thanks.

But yes, I have hundreds of outstanding tasks—the GTD book is right! In my monthly and quarterly reviews, I often want to select dozens of tasks and change multiple criteria, so the ability to arbitrarily select tasks for the multi-editor would still be extremely helpful.

I'm pretty sure TaskUnifier allows this, but that's a pretty clunky app overall. I wanted to make sure I couldn't just do it with Toodledo, or that the feature wasn't on the horizon here, before paying for TaskUnifier. But if no easier option presents itself before the quarter's up, I'll just do that, and continue to use Toodledo's much more responsive interface for daily task management.

Thanks,
MikZ.

This message was edited Jun 01, 2012.
Salgud

Posted: Jun 04, 2012
Score: 1 Reference
If you aren't already using the "Starred" feature to identify certain tasks, this can easily be used to id tasks you want to multi-edit quickly and easily.

Beyond that, is you are using Starred tasks, you can also select those, give them a temporary tag, say "Star", then multi-edit, de-star, then use the stars as above, and, when done, multi-edit the tasks tagged "Star" and re-star them. A bit of a kludge, but it gets the job done quicker if there are enough tasks involved.

This message was edited Jun 04, 2012.
piyush_soni

Posted: Jun 04, 2012
Score: -1 Reference
@MikZ,
I just tested and 'ToodleDo Multi-Edit Tasks' script still works for the most part.
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/85745

You can try if that suits your purpose.
wonblee

Posted: Sep 02, 2012
Posted by piyush_soni:
@MikZ,
I just tested and 'ToodleDo Multi-Edit Tasks' script still works for the most part.

This is excellent! Thanks!
I think Toodledo should incorporate this feature into their system immediately. Multi-selection for editing has been requested for so long, and it has been shown by a ingenious user that it can be done easily.
wonblee

Posted: Sep 02, 2012
Posted by piyush_soni:
@MikZ,

I have one question: after installing your script, it seems that shift+arrow keys don't work during editing. Shift+arrow is what I use to select a block of text in the task field. Do you think it's related to your script, which I really love.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.