ForumsQuestionsCompetitors

Competitors
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 17, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
Recently, there have been a lot of new competitors entering the task management space. It is hard for us to keep track of them all and remember their capabilities. We created a public spreadsheet as a starting point and welcome users to help us fill it out and maintain it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ajqb7gJHrdlUdGNNMUUxNnpQNkM5NGhYNnE1NzdxRnc

This will help Toodledo keep track of our strengths and weaknesses so that we can keep improving in the right directions.
Salgud

Posted: Aug 17, 2012
Score: 5 Reference
Thanks! This took a lot of cojones, to put yourselves up against your competitors like this.

I think this is a great idea. I made some additions and will make more as time permits.
alexandr.molin

Posted: Aug 22, 2012
Great idea!
Is it possible in this table to enter new fields, on which there is a comparison with competitors? For example, usability, including color label; calendar with drag&drop and more.

Alexander M.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 22, 2012
We would prefer that you allow us to add the columns to compare, because otherwise there would be an explosion of columns. We are trying to stick to the big picture ideas for comparison.

You are welcome to add new rows and fill in the blanks that we don't have filled in yet.

If you really want to compare something that we haven't put in there for comparison, you are welcome to copy the spreadsheet to your account and make your own private copy with your comparisons.
Jason Bushell

Posted: Sep 03, 2012
Toodledo is the only one for me.

The rest try and be either gimmicky, over-simplified, or consider aesthetics to be more important than functionality.

I hope TD keeps innovating, and improving. If it does, I will be a customer for many years.
rmanser

Posted: Sep 07, 2012
I like the idea. The problem is that you're focusing on features you already have, not features you lack. If you don't allow your users to tell you where they see your weaknesses then what's the point?

What about OmniFocus's nested contexts (that don't show in lists if they are empty), search-based location awareness, or reviews (just to name a few from one competitor)? The implementation details are much more important than just checking the box.

Am I allowed to change Toodledo statuses? Saved searches need to be "Partial" at best since the searches are not synced or available on iOS.

I love the product and am/will continue being a pro user, so I hope this doesn't come off too harsh!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 07, 2012
This isn't meant to be an exhaustive exercise, but more of a high level overview of the landscape.

I know that it may be difficult to rate things this coarsely. For example, we can sort on a dozen fields, with three levels of nested sorting. Remember the milk can only sort on three fields with no nested sorting. Do we both get a "yes" for the "Sort" feature?

We could make a hundred columns and compare individual nuances. Within each feature, instead of having a yes/no you could rank each implementation on a 10 point scale and notate all the differences. We may move more in this direction in the future, but for now we have decided to keep things simple and compare other task managers to us, not us to them. We also want to focus on high level features and we want to be vary coarse with our judgement.
SES21

Posted: Sep 08, 2012
Jake, you might want to take a look at the fairly comprehensive list that the folks at Priacta have already put together: http://www.priacta.com/Articles/Comparison_of_GTD_Software.php

It has a wealth of information & is updated regularly. Although it's not always 100% accurate on every little detail, that's not surprising considering the number of applications & parameters they include. In fact, their info is not only how I first became aware of Toodledo but it also helped clinch my decision to become a user! Just thinking it might save you guys some valuable time for working on other things...
B.S.

Posted: Oct 13, 2012
Posted by Jake:
This isn't meant to be an exhaustive exercise, but more of a high level overview of the landscape.

I know that it may be difficult to rate things this coarsely. For example, we can sort on a dozen fields, with three levels of nested sorting. Remember the milk can only sort on three fields with no nested sorting. Do we both get a "yes" for the "Sort" feature?

We could make a hundred columns and compare individual nuances. Within each feature, instead of having a yes/no you could rank each implementation on a 10 point scale and notate all the differences. We may move more in this direction in the future, but for now we have decided to keep things simple and compare other task managers to us, not us to them. We also want to focus on high level features and we want to be vary coarse with our judgement.

Sorting would be a number - number of sublevels.

Please add a cost column, and indicate one-time or subscription.
- this is important. If you're looking for free, you get what you pay for. Those looking for sophistication won't mind paying, either a one-time significant cost or a regular minor cost. This is not to put Toodledo on the chopping block for being $9.98 instead of $9.95, but to help users choose (Toodledo) appropriately.

Please change 'desktop' to indicate web only or not. Comments can be used to indicate os. Or create a web (cloud?) app column.

Please change Subtasks to either 'nested subtasks' or # of subtask levels. (1 level of subtasks should not be claiming to do subtasks.)

This is a wonderful tool to help match Toodledo to appropriately matched customers. Thank you.

[Which is why adding functionality columns that other products have that Toodledo doesn't is important. Helps a user see what Toodledo doesn't have, and when such functionality isn't important to them they can proceed with Toodledo with confidence.]
lukepiasecki76

Posted: Dec 11, 2012
I think Toodledo is still missing a point, at least from iOS apps perspective. It's not the features, or not just the feature that sell software. I would say from a features perspective, Toodledo is great. But the design is getting worse and outdated: the aesthetics, looks, colors, choice of fonts, flow to the UI, clean views. Take a look at the latest Gmail all from Google or any.do. Look how clean the table views are. The apps are beautiful. Pleasing to the eyes. When I opened the 3.0 version of the app it felt like my eyes got cluster f**ked by a bunch of useless micro icons, ugly fonts, and unreadable, useless, redundant information. Fix the design. Make the app beautiful. You can't track this sort of thing, very important these days, in a spreadsheet...more features is not the answer imho. Apple users love beautiful things, elegant design, simplicity. If they wanted a visual cluster f**k, they would have gotten an Android phone :)
Joyce

Posted: Dec 12, 2012
Score: 1 Reference
I use a calendar app called Calengoo. in it they have options to change the colors of things like Today or Weekend. These options are under a setting called "Advance settings" and it brings up a pretty infinite color selection. If that were added to just the background and then, maybe later on other things, it could improve the user exoerience much more than just deciding that everything will be grey and orange...

Of course it could also be something else to break from update to update.
Rob

Posted: Jan 01, 2013
I already have the best with Toodledoo. Thanks for helping me stay on track!

Best,
Rob
sbolton

Posted: Jan 03, 2013
Score: 2 Reference
I really go back and forth with task managers. I brought this up once before and it did not go over well, but I think you would do a huge favor to all concerned if you could get the interface remodeled.

Also, printing and exporting should be done easily.

Is there a way to customize the userface?

This is a good product. It could be a great product if you would do the above.

SB
Hugh O'Donnell

Posted: Feb 08, 2013
Can I send an email directly to Toodledo right from my Gmail, which is a feature of GoodToDo by Mark Hurst?
Purveyor

Posted: Feb 08, 2013
Yes.

See: How to use access Toodledo via email.

(I just noticed that the title of the Toodledo topic is poorly worded.)

This message was edited Feb 08, 2013.
GuyKisling

Posted: Apr 08, 2013
For the iOS app you need the following:

( 1 ) Saved Searches (with Saved Views - see next item)

( 2 ) Saved Views (eg. User definable combinations of Date range, contexts, tags, locations, etc.)

( 3 ) Multi-item edit (eg. moving 6 tasks from Mon to Weds)

( 4 ) Notes should be below the Fields like the used to be (eg. opening a to-do that has a note should not make the default field list jump up and down. Fingers need to go to the same place each time.)

( 5 ) Filters should be available for Goals & Locations (in addition to Contexts and Tags).

( 6 ) Status - To Hide or Not to Hide needs to be user definable. For example, I have a lot of Delegated items. These are as important to me as "next actions". However, when filtering, Delegated is a "deferred status". I should be able to adjust the settings to decide was is "deferred" vs. non-deferred status.

( 7 ) Due by Date view - Today view & Tomorrow view are a good start. However, I really need to be able to see the next 7 days, categorized by each DAY, and not lumped all together. For example, I'm putting together my weekly plan. I want to coordinate what key tasks are going to be completed on each specific day. Therefore, I need to see the tasks that are assigned to each day, with a sub-heading for that day (eg. Monday 04/08, Tuesday 04/09, Wednesday 04/10, Thursday 04/11, Friday 04/12, Saturday 04/13, Sunday 04/14). Tasks for that day are listed beneath the heading.

Pro User - can't remember how long
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.