ForumsQuestionsWebsite hanging

Website hanging
Dan

Posted: Mar 05, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Hi. Recently the toodledo website has been hanging quite a lot for up to 20 seconds. My browsers says in the status bar "waiting for images.toodledo.com". I'm using Firefox if that makes a different?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for letting us know about this.
Jrod

I have been seeing the same thing in Firefox this week as well. I didn't notice any status message, but Toodledo has started hanging for an unusually long amount of time lately.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We haven't noticed any problems on our end. Everything seems to be working here. If you have any additional info about times when this was happening, or if you could describe what "hanging" means (does it partial load, do you get an error message, etc...) , that would be helpful.

Thanks
Jrod

Posted: Mar 06, 2009
I have not gotten an error message, just a longer load time than usual. However, this occurs when I go to a screen with a lot of tasks (such as Main or All Tasks). Firefox takes longer than it used to and acts as if it's about to give the "Not Responding" message.

However, I have been using Toodledo a lot more lately and really building up the number of tasks that I am capturing -- so that may have a lot to with it.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 06, 2009
Yeah, if you have a few hundred tasks, it will take a little while to load them up. Thats just due to the amount of data that has to be transfered.
Dan

Posted: Mar 07, 2009
For me I think it's started happening since I started using the "all tasks" view instead of specific folder views. So yes, more data is being loaded. However I've only got around 70 tasks - so it certainly shouldn't be hanging for over 30 seconds for this.

By 'hanging' - I mean it makes Firefox completely inactive. I can't even switch between firefox tabs when this is happening.

I'm getting the status bar message because I've got the 'extended status bar' firefox plugin. Whether the hang is related to waiting for images.toodledo.com, or whether that's just the last thing that it was saying before the hang - I have no idea.

I get this on both my home and work PC.

Ps. Is it possible to subscribe to a thread in these forums? At the moment I can't see anyway of seeing I've got a reply other than remembering to check the forums.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 07, 2009
Thanks for the additional info.

It is not possible to subscribe to a thread in these forums, but we hope to add this in the future.
Dan

Posted: Mar 11, 2009
Is there any news on this? It's becoming very annoying :-(
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 11, 2009
We have not been able to reproduce the problem. When it hangs, can you try using a different web browser and see if it works. This would rule out our servers as the problem and identify the browser as the problem, which is what we suspect. Do you have any add-ons installed in Firefox that might interfere with a page loading?
Dan

Posted: Mar 12, 2009
I'll try using IE for the next few days when using toodledo to see if I still get it.

Re firefox plugins - I've got quite a lot installed, so I've no idea if one of them is causing this or not. I don't get hangs with any other site though.

Here's a list of my installed plugins:

Adblock Plus
Autofill forms
British English Dictionary
DOM Inspector
Download Statusbar
DownloadThemAll!
Extended Statusbar
Facebook Toolbar
Firefox Companion for eBay
FireGestures
Foxmarks Bookmark Synchronizer
Google Toolbar for Firefox
Greasemonkey
gui:config
Java Quick Starter
LeechBlock
LinkedIn Companion for Firefox
Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant
NoScript
Session Manger
Tab Mix Plus
Taboo
Toodledo
Web Developer
Wikipedia Toolbar
Dan

Posted: Mar 13, 2009
I don't seem to be getting the hangs in Internet Explorer.

As a side note, I've noticed something odd when using Toodledo in IE. If I want to change a task's priority, then I normally double click on the priority cell for that task (a quick way to bring down the dropdown control for that task). In firefox, this works fine. In IE, it starts text-selection mode so the highlighted text gets expanded as I move the mouse (and also the current task selection gets changed too). As I use Firefox, I don't really mind - just thought I would mention it :-)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 13, 2009
IE is slower, so it takes longer for it to respond to clicks. If you double click slower, it should work.

Your testing seems to indicate that the problem is with Firefox, and since we can't reproduce it with our copy of Firefox, I suspect it is with one of your plugins. We'll try to investigate, but you might try starting Firefox in safemode (addons disabled) and see if that helps.
Dan

Posted: Apr 08, 2009
I've just had the same in internet explorer.

I have noticed that there is a 'warning' icon in explorer, which says the following when I double-clicked it:

Line: 3650
Char: 4
Error: 'null' is null or not a null object
Code: 0
URL: https://www.toodledo.com/views/index.php

Not sure if this is related or not?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 08, 2009
Yes, we have fixed this on our development server and just need to do a little more testing before we release it. It doesn't affect anything other than displaying the visual warning.
koral_ilgun

Posted: Apr 30, 2009
I am having the same issue for the last few days. Running firefox. Whenever I make a change on the toodledo web page, it freezes the entire firefox for 20 seconds or so, then it comes back alive. It also froze my webex conference session for the same duration.
It seems very reproducible, whenever I add a task and click on "Due Date" on http://www.toodledo.com/views/index.php to sort by due date, it freezes firefox for about 20 seconds. I noticed during this time the lower left corner says: "Read images.toodledo.com". When freeze ends, the message disappears.

This message was edited Apr 30, 2009.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 01, 2009
Interesting. Thanks for the tip. images.toodledo.com is our CDN, so we'll have to investigate why they are hanging.
koral_ilgun

Posted: May 02, 2009
Posted by Toodledo:
Interesting. Thanks for the tip. images.toodledo.com is our CDN, so we'll have to investigate why they are hanging.

I noticed sometimes when it hangs, the lower left corner says: "http://www.toodledo.com/views/index.php?s=2", and sometimes "Done". So it is not always "images". In fact it seems to hang after it's done with it's job: sorting, adding a new task, whatever.

The "hang" behavior is very consistent, I can make it happen by just clicking on different columns to make it sort by that column. I only have about 90 tasks, so I wouldn't think that's a long list to sort. In fact as I mentioned before, it hangs after it's done.

Thanks for looking into this.
Anders

Posted: May 05, 2009
I got the same problem with the page stalling and the read images.Toodledo,etc.
Maybe it was just a coincidence, but I was impatient, and when I hit reload, the status bar message changed to the google analytics message that can occasionally cause pauses on any site.
Anders

Posted: May 05, 2009
Posted by koral_ilgun:
I noticed sometimes when it hangs, the lower left corner says: "http://www.toodledo.com/views/index.php?s=2", and sometimes "Done". So it is not always "images". In fact it seems to hang after it's done with it's job: sorting, adding a new task, whatever.

The "hang" behavior is very consistent, I can make it happen by just clicking on different columns to make it sort by that column. I only have about 90 tasks, so I wouldn't think that's a long list to sort. In fact as I mentioned before, it hangs after it's done.

What you're describing seems to be a totally different problem. When you just sort your list or do typical things like that without changing your main view, the page never even has to reload because of the fancy technology Toodledo employs, so it should always say Done in the FF statusbar. And I agree that it can't be the length of your list. I would make sure that you have the latest version of Firefox, or whatever browser you are using, and maybe even try the page with your addons disabled to see if one of them might be causing the delays.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.