ForumsQuestionsPlease help me solve my Folder vs Subtasks issue

Please help me solve my Folder vs Subtasks issue
semcdrlaban

Posted: Sep 07, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
So, I was having a tough time living with the 32 or so character limit of folders and thought that subtasks, as they are proposed as the alternative solution to subfolders, would help me out. Unfortunately it doesn't seem so.

There are two issues that makes none of them any preferred way for me and I'd love to see if someone could give me a solution to this.

I'd like to have a folder-like structure (with sub-containers) that does not limit character length.

What I've found out about folders:
+ It works as a folder, with the possibility of filling it with sub-tasks
+ I can rearrange the folders however I like, intuitively by dragging and dropping
- Character limit of 32 characters or somewhere around that value

What I've found out about sub-tasks:
+ It works as a folder, with the possibility of adding tasks to parents, making them sub-tasks
+ I have not yet hit any character limit
- No intuitive sorting of parent tasks, no dragging or dropping

What I'd like is this:
* A folder or task structure with parents and sub-tasks
* No character limit on the folder/parent
* Easily rearranging the folders/parents

How do I do it, can this be accomplished?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
I think that you have accurately described the two ways of doing things, and their limitations. Folders are limited to 32 characters. Tasks are limited to 250 characters. Folders can be manually reordered. The thing you may not have discovered is that subtasks can be manually reordered as well, but you need to enable this in your account settings.

http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=103
DrLaban

Everything is fine and well with sub-task reordering, that is working just as I like it. My gripe is the fact that the parent-task cannot be reordered the same way as sub-tasks and folders.

Any chance at all to increase the folder character limit to say... the max allowed value for the type of the column? :) (As long as it's not constrained to 32 chars but that would sound a little odd to me) Or at least 255?
I would never use a folder name of 255 characters myself but that would certainly give leeway for more or less everything anyone can think of.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the feedback. We have discussed manual task ordering a number of times in these forums, so instead of duplicating myself, Im just going to request that you search for the older topic, or maybe someone can past a link here for you.

As for longer folder names, right now the database is set to 32 characters, because we felt that this was a reasonable length when we created the app 7 years ago. It is a very difficult thing to change now, but its on our to-do list.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.