ForumsQuestionswierd warning in chrome browser

wierd warning in chrome browser
ejmichel

Posted: Mar 27, 2013
Score: 0 Reference
AM getting a red "WARNING" prompt at the top of the window when open my Toodledo account

when clicked it says the following:

"It looks like you are using a browser plugin to modify Toodledo's look or behavior. This is ok, but it may not be fully compatible with our website. If things function incorrectly, please disable the plugin in your browser. If things look ok, you can dismiss this warning."

Never saw it before today.
using latest version of Chrome
Windows 7 with all updates.

no special plugin btw

help!

This message was edited Mar 27, 2013.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 27, 2013
You may have installed a plugin by accident perhaps when you installed some other software, or perhaps your computer has some malware. If Toodledo appears to work correctly, then you can ignore the warning.
martingchapman

Posted: Mar 28, 2013
I have noticed the same warning today, not seen it before. On my work laptop and home PC.
Both latest version of Chrome and Windows 7.

I did enable Feedly RSS feed reader today on both PC's, could that be the cause?
PC are clean as far as I can tell.

This message was edited Mar 28, 2013.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We have no way to know what is causing the error. All we know is that something is loading on top of our website which *may* interfere. If you do not see anything wrong, then you can ignore the warning. You should know that whatever is loaded on top of our website can also see all of your data, so if you store sensitive data inside Toodledo, you might want to check on that.

I believe that the Feedly RSS reader will install a Chrome extension but I am not certain.
martingchapman

Jake,
Thanks for the feedback.

I disabled the Feedly Chrome extension and the warning went away, re-enabled it and the warning came back so in my case it is coming from Feedly.

I don't store any private data in Toodledo so not too worried, but thanks for the warning.
ejmichel

Posted: Mar 29, 2013
i agree that it may be FEEDLY because i have started using it this week since GREADER is being eliminated.

weird.
sak.102010

Posted: Apr 01, 2013
Score: 2 Reference
I also started using Feedly in Chrome recently, and received warning at the top of the Toodledo page. Here's what I did to fix it.

In the lower right corner of any page you visit is the Feedly mini toolbar. Click on it, and at the bottom of the list, in very tiny text, is the preferences option. Select that and you'll get the Feedly preferences page for the mini toolbar. In the Exclude list, just add toodledo (without quotes), and the Feedly mini toolbar will no longer appear on Toodledo, and the warning should go away.
martingchapman

Posted: Apr 02, 2013
Score: 1 Reference
@sak
Thanks very much for the tip, adding Toodledo to the Exclude list in Feedly has cleared the warning.
steve

Posted: Jun 16, 2013
I use DoNotTrackMe, which also causes Toodledo to generate this error message. I wish there were some way to assure Toodledo that I understand the "risk" and I don't want to see the message any longer. The message comes back every time I open the page.
ken

Posted: Aug 10, 2013
Found this thread searching around because I saw the same error using Chrome on a Mac and and two Win 7 machines. Not sure what extension was causing it on the Mac (don't have that machine any more), but discovered it was Ad Block Plus on my Win7 laptop. I don't think I have Ad Block Plus on the other Win7 machine, so I'll have to investigate more.

My solution: I white-listed toodledo.com in Ad Block Plus and the Warning went away.

But it does seem that providing a user with an option to click to Disable a warning is meaningless if the user cannot use that method.

This isn't a new issue:
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/11576/-56550/read.html

I understand the need to inform users of potential problems (and appreciate that). But it's probably better to not provide an option to dismiss the warning if the warning isn't going to be dismissed. That just confuses/frustrates/annoys your users. The "check engine light" example used in the thread I linked above doesn't really apply in this context. It is communicating a warning only. There is no option (for the driver) to dismiss the check engine light in any car I've driven.

I think the warning is good. I don't like being shown an option that doesn't work. Maybe a UI/communication issue to consider. Just a suggestion.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 12, 2013
Thanks for the suggestion. We will think about it.
uttsjs

Posted: Sep 13, 2013
fyi ... latest "Evernote Web Clipper" update now causes this Message
Richard Masters

Posted: Sep 18, 2013
Score: -1 Reference
Perhaps you can spend a little more effort on tidying up irritating things with your current service - like being able to dismiss the "Warning" message - than introducing new features (e.g. Outlines, Lists)?
Thanks,
Richard
jonathan

Posted: Sep 20, 2013
Posted by uttsjs:

Same for me on latest versions of Chrome on OSX.
Glenn Huther

Posted: Sep 24, 2013
Posted by uttsjs:

CONFIRMED for me (Win 7, Chrome) - (I wish I'd read the full thread before disabling/re-anabling to discover this!)

DEVS this plugin actually slides in from the right hand side of the PAGE (as opposed to being a pop up). See here for more info: http://evernote.com/webclipper/whats_new/chrome/
Jake

Toodledo Founder
The Evernote Web Clipper works by modifying the current web page and injecting code of their own that enables the functionality that you expect. If you trust Evernote and it does not appear to affect the page, then you are welcome to ignore the warning. I strongly doubt that Evernote will do anything bad, but because Evernote's code is running on our page, it is technically possible for them to read or edit your data.
pjlewis

Totally get it Jake and accept your explanation 100%

But I do trust Evernote with my data, just like I trust Toodledo.

So please make the warning go away, or give me an option to choose if this is ever displayed. It adds no real value and indeed is a dangerous thing to get used to seeing - the display is crying wolf.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the feedback. We will consider a way to get rid of the warning entirely after you have confirmed that it is ok.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.