ForumsQuestionsHow do I re-order my list manually?

How do I re-order my list manually?
Kim

Posted: Aug 20, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
I can't figure out how to re-order my list manually. I don't always like the way Toodledo organizes my items for me. Thanks :)Kim
Anders

Score: 0 Reference
You can't manually sort your tasks, but there are a variety of sorting options. If you click "sort" above your task list a selection pane will open and you can choose from sorting criteria. If you are in Grid mode, you can also just click on the column heading for any field such as Priority, Folder, etc. to sort by that criterion.
Kim

Really? That's a big bummer. Is manual sorting planned for a future update? Because that would be REALLY helpful and I was really surprised that you can't do that now. A very wishful suggestion!Thanks, Kim
Anders

Toodledo has said it is on their to do list. See the highlighted post here: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/2082/-9919/read.html
A lot of people want this, but apparently it is going to involve some major changes to Toodledo's internal structure which makes it a complicated thing to implement.
James T

Posted: Aug 21, 2009
Hi Kim;

I know what you mean. I LOVE Toodledo - but manual sorting is my #1 wish.

As far as I can tell it's been on the books for at least a year. I'm hoping it comes to the top of the list soon!

J
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 21, 2009
To do manually sorting now you can put numbers in front of the task, or in the tag and then sort alphabetically. We do have some ideas of ways to support manual sorting.
SteveUrich

Posted: Aug 22, 2009
How does the manual sorting done via ToDo on the iPhone affect the sort order
Anders

Posted: Aug 23, 2009
It does not affect it.
James T

Posted: Aug 24, 2009
thanks for the manual suggestion.

I'm sure you realize that what everyone _really_ wants is a drag and drop functionality to manual sort.

I understand that is tough to do with your current architecture. Still - we are hoping!!!!

Thanks!
James
bro.louie

Posted: Jan 06, 2010
I understand that ...

- manual sorting has become a NEED and is on the wishlists of many;
- manual sorting has been in Toodledo's own todo list at least since Jan. 19, 2009 (based on one of the admin's posts found on this discussion board);
- manual sorting is quite tedious and difficult for Toodledo to implement across the board.

Suggestion/Request:
Would it be possible to implement manual sorting even just on the "Starred" list? I think this would make a lot of Toodledo users happy, and make an already very useful product even much better. Even though quite limited, you've done it with "Fields & Defaults" under Settings, as well as in subtasks. Hope you could apply it on the "Starred" list as well. Please Toodledo?
Claudio

Posted: Jan 06, 2010
Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seems to me that it would be harder to implement manual sorting on just the Starred list, rather than on all lists.

Also: What are the advantages of manually sorting in comparison to using various combinations of sorting by Star, Priority, Due Date, Folders, and Tags?

I'm wondering because, AFAIT, the most popular time management systems do not use manual sorting as a way of working through a list of tasks.

ETA: I realize that the main reason I'm wondering is that I don't miss the ability to sort manually. I prefer having the order determining by some general rules rather than choosing the placement of each task.

This message was edited Jan 06, 2010.
Proximo

Posted: Jan 08, 2010
Posted by Claudio:
Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seems to me that it would be harder to implement manual sorting on just the Starred list, rather than on all lists.

Also: What are the advantages of manually sorting in comparison to using various combinations of sorting by Star, Priority, Due Date, Folders, and Tags?

I'm wondering because, AFAIT, the most popular time management systems do not use manual sorting as a way of working through a list of tasks.

ETA: I realize that the main reason I'm wondering is that I don't miss the ability to sort manually. I prefer having the order determining by some general rules rather than choosing the placement of each task.

Claudio,

I think manual sorting is simply easier and more flexible than a filtered list. I may have a Project with many sub-task and I may choose to make a particular sub-task my active task of the day for many reasons, but it may not fit into a particular filer that would make sense for me.

I should not have to think about what filters to juggle around to make a task go to the top. I should be able to simply drag and drop it there.

It's just ease of use. There are many cases where I want a task that is not as high priority as another on top and it may also not have a due date like some other task in the same project. But I just don't have the energy to tackle some of the other task at the time or a thought came into my mind that makes me want to tackle that task. Drag and drop is a simple way to re-order my task as I see fit or bring it to the top.

simple

This message was edited Jan 08, 2010.
Hetty.Richardson

Posted: Jan 09, 2010
Given it has been on the "to do" list for awhile, would be nice to hear something about when might happen.

I just starting using Toodledo to possibly replace my "home made" system, but almost immediately then ran into this problem. I can't see using Toodledo without being able to drag and drop in order to reorder things. This is my #1 priority for ease in use of a tracking/priority system.
Linden

Posted: Jan 09, 2010
Manual sorting for ALL tasks has only been under consideration for about a month.

Until it was implemented for subtasks late last year, all of the requests for the feature had been for it to be enabled for subtasks. Nobody had indicated any interest in having manual sorting for independent tasks until the update applying it to subtasks was already released.

Given the current demand for the feature to be extended to all tasks, I'm sure Toodledo is working toward an updated solution. I don't think it's at all unreasonable that they follow their usual protocol regarding release announcements.
Claudio

Posted: Jan 10, 2010
Posted by Proximo:
It's just ease of use. There are many cases where I want a task that is not as high priority as another on top and it may also not have a due date like some other task in the same project. But I just don't have the energy to tackle some of the other task at the time or a thought came into my mind that makes me want to tackle that task. Drag and drop is a simple way to re-order my task as I see fit or bring it to the top.

simple
Hi Proximo.

Just to be clear, I was asking about unconnected tasks, not subtasks within a particular project. I think that we agree that subtasks usually need to be in a particular order, and Toodledo allows this.

"Drag and drop" is not the same as "doing". If you identify something that you want to do, then why not just do it? Does it need to be at the top the list?

Also, do some users always start from the top of the list and work down through every item in order, without ever skipping a task? Is that why manual sorting is important?
bro.louie

Posted: Jan 13, 2010
Yes Claudio, I think there are many people who would like to see their todo list in a self-determined chronological manner, based on one's own schedule, changes in current circumstances, and even energy level. Not all these factors can be included in the software's filtering process, so it would be great if we are given the option to manually re-order the final resultant list. This may not matter if you only have five or so tasks for the day. But if your list contains ten or more, then manual sorting helps a lot in providing focus.
Claudio

Posted: Jan 14, 2010
bro.louie, that makes sense, especially when viewing a long list of Today's tasks or Starred tasks, and even more so if you're not using Priority, and you're using Multi-Line view. Also, there's the added complication of scheduled vs unscheduled tasks, and tasks that are time-specific vs those that are not.

The distinction that I'm making, though, is between the sort order of the task list and the order that the tasks are actually done. It seems to me that they don't have to be the same, and I was just wondering whether some people always start from the top of the list and work down through every item in order, without ever skipping a task. I don't work my list that way but perhaps I should.

In any case, there are users who want manual sorting and there's some indication that Toodledo will make it available eventually.
DerekRicher

Posted: Mar 30, 2010
I just want to add my voice to the list of users wanting manual sorting for all tasks.

I love toodledo -- it's better than every other program out there. I even paid for a pro-subscription.

But over time the lack of manual sorting has become a deal breaker for me and I've switched to using (and paying for) VitaList because they enable manual sorting.

Vitalist lacks a number of features that I love about Toodledo, but I just can't live without that one...

Toodeldo, please let me know when you implement manual sorting for all tasks and I'll come back!

This message was edited Mar 30, 2010.
DSull

One more - desperately seeking solution.

I've been into and out of Toodle (I mean a user vs. a non-user, not just logging in) about a half dozen times and I'm currently trying it *again*, and some version of this missing sort function seems to always be the reason I quit using it.

I'm a little (lot) ADHD-like; that's the entire purpose for Toodledo, for me. The bottom line for me is that when it's crunch time (almost always) I need to see ONLY the immediate next few things I'm working on, and deliberately NOT see anything else or it's overwhelming and guess what - I go to paper or just have extra administrative anxiety. Unless I update many tasks all the time, the sort functions, though robust, can't keep up with dynamic priority factors. It's not the fault of any shortcoming in the sort function, it's just life.

Are there any other hacks for making this work besides forcing numbers in? Right now, I have a piece of paper on my left with a vertical line of boxes containing my to-dos for the rest of the day. To do that in TD would require gymnastics and I'm struggling with whether to jump ship again.
PeterW 

Don't forget that you can use the start date to hide future tasks. So while you can't manually sort, you can at least restrict your view of tasks to just the immediate next few things you will be working on.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.