ForumsQuestionsData loss due to syncing in beta iOS app

Data loss due to syncing in beta iOS app
Mike Thomas

Posted: Sep 26, 2023
Score: 0 Reference
I did a search in the beta iOS app. I then modified on the PC one of the tasks that was in the the search results. I then closed my browser and went off and did something else.

Later when I opened Toodledo on the phone (with the search results still showing) I opened (on the phone) the task that I had modified (on the PC). It briefly showed the modification (I had added a URL in the note so it was really obvious), but it then reverted to the older version of the task. I suspect it decided to auto-sync shortly after I viewed the task and that was when it reverted to old contents.

So it appears that the iOS app doesn't actually sync and pays no attention to last modified times (edit: or maybe merely viewing a task on the search results page cause it to be flagged as "modified" even though there are no changes made). While this may be an edge case (possibly only occurring when the iOS app is showing search results) it is nevertheless a major bug and needs to be looked at ASAP. I have had several instances where changes have mysteriously disappeared, now I think I know at least one of the root causes.

Please take a look.

This message was edited Sep 26, 2023.
mlb32704

Posted: Sep 27, 2023
Score: 1 Reference
There are multiple threads out there relative to iOS 17 and syncing/data loss issues. This has been a nightmare for me for several days now. In addition, an Administrator made the comment on another post that we should be looking for past/common threads on subjects before reposting the same questions. Don’t shoot the messenger but that’s probably why they haven’t responded directly back to your message yet. You’ll see my comments on various related threads now, hopefully some of them will help. Bottom line is that Toodledo has issued two beta apps through TestFlight, one is a “fix” for issues relative to iOS 17 and the current aka legacy app, the other is the next gen app. While they are saying that the former fixes current issues with the legacy app, it doesn’t. And I’m having issues with the next gen app as well. For legacy, next gen, and in some cases both apps, tasks aren’t syncing, I can’t modify due dates or make changes to tasks, I have inconsistencies across devices, reminders aren’t syncing or they are with no date or tag data, notes can’t be changed or synced as well. Sound familiar? Good luck and check out some of the other threads on these subjects.
hasnain_2

Toodledo Admin
Score: -1 Reference
Hi all,

We recommend using the next-gen app. You can find installation instructions here: https://info.toodledo.com/next-gen-mobile-apps#InstallationInstructions
If you have an issue with the Next Gen app, please file a support ticket with the details of your issue so we can dig into it.

Thanks!
mlb32704

This is a beta application that requires installation of Testflight, and asks that you test and submit feedback through the app. Additionally, Toodledo is asking the user base to submit support tickets for any functionality that is missing from the next gen app that is currently in the legacy app. If you are comfortable doing that and have the time to spare, great. I will not be installing ANY beta apps and will wait until Toodledo releases an actual fixed version of the legacy app for iOS17, or a production version of the next gen app that includes EVERYTHING that the legacy app has, at a minimum. It should not be the responsibility of the user base to point out to Toodledo features and functions that are missing in the next gen app, that should be part of Toodledo's process and transparent to the user base.
Mike Thomas

Posted: Sep 28, 2023
hasnain_2 - I AM using the next-gen app (I called it "beta iOS app" because I couldn't remember the name and wanted to make sure you knew I was talking about the iOS version specifically). Blindly posting the same "We recommend using the next-gen app" response everywhere is not helpful.

Have you tried my repro steps above?
Mike Thomas

Posted: Sep 28, 2023
BTW I'm still on iOS 16.6.1. Guess I better stay there until the bigger syncing problem in iOS 17 is fixed (or I find a more reliable alternative).
Mike Thomas

Posted: Sep 29, 2023
I have canceled my subscription, effective next April. I hope by then to have found a more reliable alternative.
PamelaH

Toodledo Admin
Posted: Oct 10, 2023
Posted by Mike Thomas:
I did a search in the beta iOS app. I then modified on the PC one of the tasks that was in the the search results. I then closed my browser and went off and did something else.

Later when I opened Toodledo on the phone (with the search results still showing) I opened (on the phone) the task that I had modified (on the PC). It briefly showed the modification (I had added a URL in the note so it was really obvious), but it then reverted to the older version of the task. I suspect it decided to auto-sync shortly after I viewed the task and that was when it reverted to old contents.

So it appears that the iOS app doesn't actually sync and pays no attention to last modified times (edit: or maybe merely viewing a task on the search results page cause it to be flagged as "modified" even though there are no changes made). While this may be an edge case (possibly only occurring when the iOS app is showing search results) it is nevertheless a major bug and needs to be looked at ASAP. I have had several instances where changes have mysteriously disappeared, now I think I know at least one of the root causes.

Please take a look.

Thanks for letting us know about this -- I tried the steps you mentioned and was able to repro this and we're working on a fix.
The sync does pay attention to last modified times, and viewing the task shouldn't cause it to be modified, but we will track down the exact cause.

You can send us a support ticket here and we can help faster: https://www.toodledo.com/info/ticket.php

This message was edited Oct 10, 2023.
Mike Thomas

Posted: Oct 12, 2023
Thank you PamelaH.
PamelaH

Toodledo Admin
Posted: Oct 30, 2023
This should be resolved in build 26. If you see it again, please let us know!
Mike Thomas

Posted: Nov 01, 2023
Will do, thanks.

BTW I wanted to thank you for fixing a bug I hadn't got around to reporting - often (but not always) when returning to the hotlist the app would crash and ask me to restart it. That behavior appears to be gone now.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.