ForumsQuestionsBug: subtasks don't show up in folder view

Bug: subtasks don't show up in folder view
chogg

Posted: Jul 02, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
When I select Folder view, only main tasks show up, and not subtasks! The folder of a subtask is constrained to be the same as the folder of its parent, which is of course a very good thing. But subtasks often have a higher importance level than their parent tasks, and this should be reflected in the Folder view. It seems not to be.

To be specific: I have a task in my "Work" folder, with a due date sometime next week, at importance level 7. One subtask in this group is due *today*, and is at top priority and starred, so it's at importance level 11. When I click on "View by: Folder" and select the "Work" tab, the only way to see this subtask is to scroll down to importance level 7 and expand its parent.

Am I right in thinking that this is a bug?

Thanks again!
Chip
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 03, 2008
This is the intended behavior. In folder view, subtasks are nested inside their parent tasks to give three levels of hierarchy: Folder > Task > Subtask.

In the other views, the subtasks are flattened out for the exact reason that you have pointed out (to allow important subtasks to be visible). For example, you could go to the Due-Date view and click the Today tab to see tasks (and subtasks) that are due today.

Hope that helps
chogg

Thanks for your reply!

Might it therefore make sense that, in the Folder view, we could have the option to sort according to the Importance of the most important subtask? The Folder view is otherwise great, but I have to worry about missing something important if I were to use only that.

I guess I could use the Due Date view as well in the meantime.

Thanks!
Chip
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestion.
wellton1869

Posted: Jul 06, 2008
I too spent some time looking for a subfolders feature... would it really be so bad to have subfolders? "Subtasks" dont really do what subfolders would do, it seems to me. Subfolders are a 'heading' to help the user organize the relationships between different realms in their lives (into which particular tasks & subtasks would go). Also that way we could see the subfolders in folder view.
Qrystal

Posted: Jul 09, 2008
I use tags like subfolders, and when I'm in Folder view I choose to sort by tag more often than not. But I'm only there when I'm organizing my tasks, not when I'm actually working on them.

When I'm working on tasks, and want to be sure I'm working on the most important tasks, I'm in the Main view, either at the Hotlist or the Starred list, and usually sorted by Importance or Due Date.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.