ForumsQuestionsBug with repeat from completed?

Bug with repeat from completed?
haeffb

Posted: Oct 03, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I've entered several tasks from my TaskAdder Palm Pre app. One of the options I've given in TaskAdder is to choose whether repeating tasks repeat from due date or repeat from completion date.

I noticed that I have several tasks with a repeat of "none" where "repeat from completion date" is set. Those tasks regenerate themselves when I check them off. Is this correct behavior or a bug?
Anders

Posted: Oct 03, 2009
I have noticed this before, and just assumed it was intentional, but I suppose it could be a bug. It makes sense to me though. If someone just wants a task to immediately regenerate when completed, it's handy. Also it's the only way to use repeating tasks without having Due Dates generated, so I kind of hope it's not a bug :)

This message was edited Oct 03, 2009.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 05, 2009
This sounds like a bug with the TaskAdder application, which which I am not familiar. On this website, a task must have some sort of repeating value other than "none" for it to be repeated.
Anders

Posted by Toodledo:
This sounds like a bug with the TaskAdder application, which which I am not familiar. On this website, a task must have some sort of repeating value other than "none" for it to be repeated.

Actually, if you set a task to repeat from completion, but give it no repeat value, it will regenerate without a due date immediately after completion.
haeffb

TaskAdder uses the Toodledo API to allow users to add tasks from a WebOS device (Palm Pre). One of the options in TaskAdder allows the user to choose repeat values for a task, and another allows the user to select either "repeat from due date" or "repeat from completed" as the default for adding new tasks.

From the Task API docs: The value of the "repeat" field may have some special values... ...Additionally, if the task is set to repeat from the completion date (instead of the original due-date), the repeat value will be incremented by 100. For example, a repeat value of 2 means repeat monthly from the due-date and a value of 102 means repeat monthly from the completion date.

If the task is added through the API as "no repeat" AND "repeat from completed" - i.e., a repeat value of 100, the task will repeat itself immediately when it is checked off, even though it shows up in the task list with a repeat value of "None."

When these tasks with "repeat from completed" are in the task list in Toodledo, the repeat value is black, not gray as it is with "repeat from due date" selected.

So, it's not a bug in TaskAdder, unless you consider using the repeat value of "100" to be a bug. The API accepts that value, the tasks show up with a repeat value of "none" and "repeat from completed" checked. Completing the task creates a new instance of the task. You can edit the task's "repeat from" field to change it to "repeat from due date" and the task will no longer auto-generate.

I've also added a task from the Toodledo website and am able to select repeat = none, repeat from completed. The behavior is different, though, than tasks added through the API.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 07, 2009
Then this is a bug with our API that I will get fixed. A task with a repeat of "none" shouldn't repeat. Sorry for the bug.
Anders

It's not restricted to the API. This happens when adding a task on the site as well.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Yeah, I noticed that. We'll get it fixed.
haeffb

Two things:

1) I would be interested in knowing how you plan to fix it. Will an API call with repeat of 100 not work? Or will the task simply not repeat?

2) As noted by Anders, the "bug/feature" can be useful if you want to have auto-repeating tasks that don't have a specific due date. Can you implement such a feature if/when the bug is removed? If not, why not leave it as is - and document the behavior. I (and other third-party developers) can easily work around by simply not using the value of 100. Or only using it for the specific case of a task that you want to repeat with no due date.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 08, 2009
I haven't decided how to fix it yet, and I agree that there should be a way to repeat a task without a due-date, so I need to think about this one a bit before I know what to do.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
I have investigated this and here is what I have decided. It is not possible to set this behavior using the website. It is only possible to get this to happen by using an undocumented loophole in the API, which I am calling a bug. A task with a repeat of "none" should not repeat. So, we will be fixing the API so that it isn't possible to set a task to a repeat value of "100" (which for those non-technical people is just a code that we use internally).

I agree that there should be a way to repeat a dateless task, but we'll have to implement that in a different way that is not confusing. We'll fix this in the next update.
Anders

Posted by Toodledo:
I have investigated this and here is what I have decided. It is not possible to set this behavior using the website. It is only possible to get this to happen by using an undocumented loophole in the API, which I am calling a bug.

I can make this happen by adding a task on the website. I took some screenshots that I will send in. I can only do it if I set it to no repeat, and repeat from completed when I add the task. I doesn't work if I try to change an existing task to repeat from completion, though I could swear that it was happening on edit as well a couple of days ago.

BTW, I am fine with the decision. Tasks with "No Repeat" or repeat of "None" probably shouldn't repeat now that I think about it. It would be a cool addition though.

This message was edited Oct 08, 2009.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.