ForumsQuestionsHow do you edit a Task?

How do you edit a Task?
Joe

Posted: May 04, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
I have tried and tried to figure out how to edit a task. I see no way to accomplish this. Is there not a way to have an edit link that will open a task with all options that an Add Task has?
Andrew A

Score: 0 Reference
Joe, have you tried just clicking the label? It ought to convert to a text field as you do.
Joe

I want to edit something that I don't want to have to display as a label. For example, I don't use goals much, but it seems like I have to make goals visible, assign a goal to a task, make it invisible, if I forget to set it when I create the task.

This seems really borked to an otherwise elegant app. A small Notepad with pencil edit icon that brings up a form at the top, the same as an Add Task but in Edit Mode, and you save it back. It would take a couple hours to implement.

I can understand that you want to make sure people know that they can edit in place, but sometimes that isn't an option.

Second way to implement, expand all. On a given task you can click expand all to display all fields for that task, not just the configured ones. Then the user can edit in place.

This message was edited May 04, 2010.
Andrew A

Gotchya, now that's a different question and sounds more like an enhancement request.

Editing Fields that aren't visible.. so what you want is a screen where a selected task will be displayed with ALL possible fields displayed as editable fields? Always. and then be able to return to the normal view that we have where only selected fields are displayed?

(by the way Add a Task is affected by the fields you choose to display and shows fewer or more fields depending)
PeterW 

Joe - it sounds like you are using Toodledo in 'Multi-line' format where most fields are hidden until you expand them. You can switch Toodledo to 'Grid' format where all of your active fields are shown. Then it's just a matter of editing any field in place.
rgloor

Posted: May 05, 2010
Posted by Joe:
I want to edit something that I don't want to have to display as a label. For example, I don't use goals much, but it seems like I have to make goals visible, assign a goal to a task, make it invisible, if I forget to set it when I create the task.

This seems really borked to an otherwise elegant app. A small Notepad with pencil edit icon that brings up a form at the top, the same as an Add Task but in Edit Mode, and you save it back. It would take a couple hours to implement.

I can understand that you want to make sure people know that they can edit in place, but sometimes that isn't an option.

Second way to implement, expand all. On a given task you can click expand all to display all fields for that task, not just the configured ones. Then the user can edit in place.

That is exactly the same I am looking for.

Thanks for any help / modification.
rgloor

Posted by PeterW:
Joe - it sounds like you are using Toodledo in 'Multi-line' format where most fields are hidden until you expand them. You can switch Toodledo to 'Grid' format where all of your active fields are shown. Then it's just a matter of editing any field in place.

Well, I do use the grid mode, but do not have all possible fields shown. But already used up the available horizontal space.
Joe

I just realized that Add A Task also limits to what fields you have selected as mentioned above.

This isn't about Multi-line format. Once you expand it, the same fields are available in multiline vs. grid, it is just only the fields you configure.

It would be nice to occasionally go into a mode where you can address all fields, without having to configure and unconfigure.

A relatively minor nitpick on what seems to be the best GTD capable task track I've found.

This combined with some of the new beta programs on the Palm Pre are an excellent pair.

This message was edited May 05, 2010.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Currently, it is not possible to edit a field that you have disabled in your account settings, but we are thinking about this for a future update.
plockerman

Posted: Jun 07, 2010
Posted by Toodledo:
Currently, it is not possible to edit a field that you have disabled in your account settings, but we are thinking about this for a future update.

This would be a most awesome improvement. I may want metrics or "columns" hidden but not entirely excluded. I might want to see what folder or context the task is by let's say hovering or clicking a symbol but I don't want it always there cluttering the screen which is already a problem.
Justin

Posted: Aug 10, 2010
My wife and I are looking for a to-do system for our work, home, school, and volunteer needs. The Pro version of Toodledo is currently in the lead, but the lack of an "Edit Task" button is holding us back.

We agree with Joe and plockerman: please add this functionality to Toodledo. It would be most awesome.

This message was edited Aug 10, 2010.
Gustavo

Posted: Jan 07, 2011
Posted by Joe:

That's exactly what I need.

I wanted to add a note to an existing task, but since there is no way to edit it "full mode", I couldn't do it.

To make it simple: there should be a button to edit a task with the same interface and fields used to add a task.
Gustavo

Posted: Jan 12, 2011
I don't know if I didn't look carefully or what... The fact is that now I see, on the very right column a button to toggle and edit the notes.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 13, 2011
You can move this to the left in your account settings if you want.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.