ForumsQuestionsSync Outlook Tasks with iPhone (+ other Qs!)

Sync Outlook Tasks with iPhone (+ other Qs!)
neil

Posted: Nov 24, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Hi all,

My Wife has agreed that her creaking WinMo PDA has to go and we had a chat last night about what she wants/needs to be able to do.

Here's the details.

She has her own domain (just for email-no website) which is hosted by Google, so when she's not at home on her laptop, she can use the web interface for email and calendar.

Tasks-the Google mail web interface does have a Tasks section, but it doesn't allow the adding of attachments for reference and this is currently something she does in Outlook-she creates a task and attaches something to it (maybe a spreadsheet or a Word doc) for reference when the task is due.

Can she run Outlook to directly use her Google mail calendar (i.e not the standard Outlook (local) calendar, or would it just be simpler to use Outlook and run Google Sync to sync her Outlook calendar and Contacts to her Google mail account?

If so, here's my thinking:

Get her an iPhone.
Set up her email and calendar on the iPhone as an Exchange account.
Use Outlook for Tasks, so that she can continue to add attachments to them.
Use Outlook for Google mail and run Google Sync on her laptop to sync Calendar and Contacts.

Does that sound feasible?

I've also just realised that she still won't get Tasks on the iPhone, it will be laptop only so I'll have to ask her if she could live with having the actual Tasks on the phone, or can Toodledo do everything she wants with Outlook Tasks with attachments?

Or am I asking for a device to do too much!?
PeterW 

Posted: Nov 24, 2010
As you've no doubt discovered, the iPhone does not have a native Task app so you have to get yourself a third-party solution.

If your wife already uses GMail and Google Calendar, the iPhone's native email and calendar apps sync nicely with these so this part of the equation is solved.

I'd recommend using Toodledo for tasks because it will give you the same kind of cloud-based solution, i.e. an online app synced with an iPhone app. This means that your wife doesn't have to use Outlook at all, will have access to her data from anywhere and it's automatically kept in sync.

Toodledo has its own iPhone app but you can also sync with a number of other third-party iPhone apps so you have some choice.

The only thing you won't get is attachments to tasks on the iPhone, but then you wouldn't have had that with the WinMo task app anyway. You can have attachments on Toodledo's web app provided you have a pro-plus subscription.

This message was edited Nov 24, 2010.
neil

Posted: Nov 28, 2010
Posted by PeterW:
As you've no doubt discovered, the iPhone does not have a native Task app so you have to get yourself a third-party solution.

Yep-that's whay I'm here!

Posted by PeterW:
If your wife already uses GMail and Google Calendar, the iPhone's native email and calendar apps sync nicely with these so this part of the equation is solved.

Yes, so far so good!

Posted by PeterW:
I'd recommend using Toodledo for tasks because it will give you the same kind of cloud-based solution, i.e. an online app synced with an iPhone app. This means that your wife doesn't have to use Outlook at all, will have access to her data from anywhere and it's automatically kept in sync.

Still good!

Posted by PeterW:
Toodledo has its own iPhone app but you can also sync with a number of other third-party iPhone apps so you have some choice.

The Toodledo one looks good.

Posted by PeterW:
The only thing you won't get is attachments to tasks on the iPhone, but then you wouldn't have had that with the WinMo task app anyway.

No, but she does still have access to them on her laptop (which is all she really needs I guess)

Posted by PeterW:
You can have attachments on Toodledo's web app provided you have a pro-plus subscription.

Aha! I didn't realise that, I'll go check it out now.

I still think the best way to proceed is:

Get her an iPhone.
Set up her email and calendar on the iPhone as an Exchange account.
Use Outlook for Tasks, so that she can continue to add attachments to them.
Use Toodledo as her Task app on the phone, but use her laptop/Outlook to actually "execute" the tasks and use any documents she had attached to each task.
Use Outlook for Google mail and run Google Sync on her laptop to sync Calendar and Contacts.

How does that sound!?

Many thanks for your help here.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.