ForumsQuestionsBest Android App for Toodledo?

Best Android App for Toodledo?
gkumar

Posted: Dec 03, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I recently switched to Android from the iPhone. Androids user subscriptions are on pace to match iPhone subscriptions within a month and even exceed. I am surprised that there is no official Toodledo app for the Android platform.

So I looked around and found these four Android applications that supposedly work with Toodledo. Which of these four applications would you pick over others and why? Subtask support is important too as I am a Pro subscriber.
1) Ultimate To-Do List http://www.todolist.co/
2) Got To Do http://www.todolist.co/
3) Due Today http://www.lakeridgesoftware.com/products/android/DueToday/
4) Pocket Informant http://www.pocketinformant.com/products_info.php?p_id=pocketinformant_android
5) Other?

Looking forward to a good discussion.
AJS

Posted: Dec 03, 2010
Tried both the first two GTD and UTDL. The first one I paid for because for $2 it cost less than a sandwich and it's pretty fully featured. I am still trialling UTDL, but having already got GTD I am not sure I need it. I like it's alarm functions, but I can use my calendar function for those and I think I prefer the GTD look and layout. Both solid enough apps in my view.

EDIT: I forgot, one major plus point is that Ultimate to do syncs the notes field in Toodledo. Since I use the Notes to carry non-sensitive reference material that's a major plus.

This message was edited Dec 03, 2010.
gkumar

Posted: Dec 04, 2010
The Ultimate To Do List can't sync notes? What about subtasks for both of them?
sblkToodleDo

Posted: Dec 04, 2010
Trialing UTDL here and am blown away. Have already uninstalled Due Today (which I'd bought).

Light airy interface, customizable in the extreme, great widget, sensible UX (at least compared to the too-complicated ToodleDo service).

Only problem: you can get into a weird situation where it wants to have 2 copies of each task in your list. I think this is an install issue. My suggestion: immediately after you install UTDL and configure it for your UTDL account, either power the phone off and on (if you're not technically savvy) or go into Settings:Applications:Manage Applications:Running and stop the UTDL app. Next time it comes up, you shouldn't risk this duplication.

If you've already got the duplicate presentation of tasks (doesn't dupe data in ToodleDo, just the mobile device), delete UTDL's data (will delete your login credentials, all your saved views, prefs, etc., sorry) and set it up again.

This message was edited Dec 04, 2010.
gkumar

Posted: Dec 06, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
Here's an interesting article on To do applications: http://gizmodo.com/5707232/the-six-best-apps-for-getting-stuff-done

Astrid and Got To Do were mentioned.

Does Astrid sync with Toodledo? It looks like it might be as good as the Ultimate To Do List or better.
vginer

Posted: Dec 21, 2010
Hi.

Astrid doesn't still support sync with Toodledo at the moment of writing this, but it is within its roadmap: http://weloveastrid.com/roadmap/

And, by the way, I would like to ask the question again to those of you that are still using an Android app for managing your Toodledo tasks list:

After some days using your app, are you happy with it? Would you recommend it? Which are its major drawbacks? Does it always sync perfectly? Does it really allow to customize your tasks view, I mean, can you select the tasks you want to see each moment (smart lists, hot lists, etc.)?

Thank you very much in advance for your answers!

--
Vicent
vginer

Posted: Dec 21, 2010
By the way, I also found TooDo, an app that also syncs with Android: http://www.helloandroid.com/apps/toodo . It is already mentioned in this forum, in fact: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/6/240/0/toodo-and-android.html
clango

Posted: Dec 25, 2010
Posted by vginer:

And, by the way, I would like to ask the question again to those of you that are still using an Android app for managing your Toodledo tasks list:

After some days using your app, are you happy with it? Would you recommend it? Which are its major drawbacks? Does it always sync perfectly? Does it really allow to customize your tasks view, I mean, can you select the tasks you want to see each moment (smart lists, hot lists, etc.)?

Thank you very much in advance for your answers!

--
Vicent

I use Got To Do and I feel satisfied. I'd recommend it because it sync perfectly, I can filter my tasks. It has a couple of limits. The Notes in the task has a limited space. It does not sync with the Notebook as Ultimate should do. I bought Ultimate too, but it seems not completely developed, so I continue to use Got To Do
jonhill7

Posted: Dec 30, 2010
I have used Got To Do for 4 months and I am completely happy with it. I have not had any syncing issues, and I've been able to set it up perfectly as a GTD-like system.

Like the above poster said, it does have some limitations. Not every feature lines up exactly with Toodledo. For example, you cannot set a task to repeat specific days of the week in the Got To Do interface (however, if you set the task in ToodleDo, Got To Do will repeat the task accordingly). Also, the priority levels have different names in the two different systems.

Overall, I'm highly satisfied and would recommend Got To Do.
Terri1769

Posted: Dec 31, 2010
Score: -1 Reference
I tried the others and bought Ultimate To do List. The level of customization in the views and widgets was the main reason. I use ToodleDo for two separate purposes (To Do list and shopping list) and I'm able to keep them separate by using separate custom views and widgets.
nraats

Posted: Jan 07, 2011
I've been trying GTD for quite a while. One complain and the reason why I now tru UTDL: the GTD widget is poor and ugly. Yes you can see you main tasks and yes you can add a task from there but i like it better: click add task and come in a text field without having to select your keyboard first. Sounds very negative but for the rest GTD is fine.
Jaceq

Posted: Jan 27, 2011
Could anyone who has bought GTD write something about subtasks? Is there a way to switch a task to be sub-task of another? For example:

1. I have tasks "buy milk" and "buy bread"
2. I have another task "Grocery"
3. I would like to move "buy milk" and "buy bread" to become sub-tasks of "Grocery"

Is it possible in GTD? As I've tested UTDL, there's no way to do that..
Mike Thomas

Posted: Feb 06, 2011
While I'm disappointed Toodledo won't be creating an Android app, I can understand the need to focus on other areas. I (like many lately it seems) have recently switched from iPhone to Android and am looking for a replacement to-do app.

One thing that is important to me is that the app should also support the Toodledo Notebook. Are there any third-party apps that do that? I don't need any of the advanced features for which people use Toodledo (such as GTD), but it is important to me that today's to-do list be presented to me in a clean fashion (allowing me to sort and group). Sadly Pocket Informant (iPhone or Android) still doesn't do it for me from the to-do perspective (it's a great calendar), and so the Toodledo app for iPhone was a god-send.

Thanks ... Mike
Dalker

Posted: Feb 07, 2011
Posted by Mike Thomas:
One thing that is important to me is that the app should also support the Toodledo Notebook. Are there any third-party apps that do that?

UTDL does this. I haven't really used seriously it but I tried it once, and it did sync well.
Edit: I mean I didn't use notes extensively. I do use UTDL every day and it works pretty well for all the other things.

This message was edited Feb 07, 2011.
Mike Thomas

Posted: Feb 08, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
Thanks Dalker, I will check it out.
Mike Thomas

Posted: Feb 08, 2011
I liked it, so I bought it (Ultimate To Do List). Thanks!
zgorstein

Posted: Feb 23, 2011
Just like many of the above posters, I recently returned my iPhone to get an Android. I loved the Toodledoo iphone app, though. From the discussion here, it seems to be a battle between UTDL and GTD. Do the other two, Due Today and Pocket Informant, not measure up?

Once I can Toodledoo synced on Android, and once The Economist app comes out for Android, I'll be able to rest easy with my iphone return.
Jon_R

Posted: Feb 25, 2011
Pocket Informant is much more than just a app to sync with Toodledo for tasks. You can not really compare it to the other task only apps that sync with Toodledo - PI is also a PIM that includes complete calendar management to replace the very lacking Android calendar.

Pocket Informant 1.0 was just released, previous releases were all beta, on the Market and it works pretty dang good. One thing to keep in mine with PI is their past track record with other OSes, this 1.0 version is very basic compared to what it will be able to do after more development time.
zgorstein

Posted: Feb 26, 2011
Just got UTDL and was disappointed that it doesn't sort by importance. Either due date or priority, but not a mixture of both. Do any of the other ones support sort by importance?
zgorstein

Posted: Feb 26, 2011
GTD has a sort by importance option. To me, that's the most important thing...also a much better UI than UTDL. Notebooks aside, I think GTD is better.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.