ForumsQuestionsSubtask dependency feature request

Subtask dependency feature request
Peter Scott

Posted: Nov 22, 2008
Score: 1 Reference
The example in the subtask help exhibits a problem that shows up for me a lot. Subtasks of a task are generally dependent on earlier ones. You can't pick up a rental car until you've reserved it, so showing the pick-up subtask before the reservation subtask is completed is just cluttering the view with something you have to remember to ignore.

I propose a dependency feature: a subtask may be designated as depending upon the subtask before it (even better would be if you could specify any earlier subtask in the same task). Until that earlier subtask is completed, this one has priority -1, after which it goes to whatever it was assigned. ThinkingRock does this IIRC.

This would be useful even if it was all-or-nothing, i.e., the parent task had the property that either all subtasks were dependent on their order or none of them were. Most of my parent tasks have all of their subtasks dependent on their order anyway.

This message was edited Nov 22, 2008.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 23, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
Yes, task dependency is an often requested feature that is on our to-do list. Thanks!
Greg Specht

just upgraded to pro and love the subtasks but this would be a nice feature online. It actually works perfectly in your iPhone widget so thanks for that!
gn1sxn102

Yip, the second task dependency is implemented, I will upgrade to pro and close my todoist account. Cant wait!
saskia.x

Consider this another vote for this feature.

This would help us to focus on only the Next Action of a project without being distracted by future actions, something which is important regardless of whether you are following a GTD-inspired system or not.
david

Posted: Nov 24, 2008
Posted by saskia.x:
Consider this another vote for this feature.

This would help us to focus on only the Next Action of a project without being distracted by future actions, something which is important regardless of whether you are following a GTD-inspired system or not.

A workaround for this that I use is to set up each 'project task' and all the sub tasks with no context. Then simply give the Next Action a context. The NA task then shows up in the relevant context while all the future tasks remain 'hidden' on the No Context list.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.