ForumsTips & TricksCreate a new note (journal entry) each day - not task related

Create a new note (journal entry) each day - not task related
rjllane

Posted: Jan 20, 2013
Score: 0 Reference
Hello everyone - my first day with Toodledo. I'm trying to do away with my analog diary/calendar/planner. One of the things I do with my paper diary is jot down notes each day about events that happen, or observations, feelings, health, fitness etc items. They are not tasks. Sort of a journal.

How do I streamline / automate the process of creating a new note every day and including the date in the process?

Many thanks for any help and wisdom you can share.
rjllane

Posted: Jan 22, 2013
My first attempt failed ... This is what I tried ...

I created a task that repeated every day and added scribblings to the Notes. But I quickly discovered that (quite sensibly) the Notes for a repeated event are carried forward. So I would have had the entries from each day concatenated into 1 Note that would have hit the character limit pretty soon, and didn't really achieve what I wanted.

I can't be the 1st person to try to use Toodledo to keep a set of Notes, 1 Note per day. Any tips?
mahw

Posted: Jan 23, 2013
Score: 1 Reference
I have made a Note called Journal and I make my entries at the top of the page so that the most recent post is first. I type in the date myself because the timestamp always puts it at the bottom. I have put an example below.

W Jan 23

Called Lowe's re: washing machine.

T Jan 22

Got painting estimate.
rjllane

Thanks, mahw, for that suggestion.

I slightly modified your approach by creating a folder (e.g., Diary Notes). I will try starting a new page for each day (e.g., 20130124 Toodledo Note). One reason for this is that I might get close to the 64,000 character limit for a page if I keep doing this for a year :-)

I presume that I can print all pages in a folder into a PDF and export them all in a coherent manner??
rjllane

I also discovered another suggestion in a previous thread ...

http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/7297/-38929/strategy-ideas-welcome-for-daily-diary.html

1. Created task called Daily Diary. No repeats.
2. Each day, I create a clone of Daily Diary task (see the “Actions” tool tip on the arrow near the left hand side of the task row, after Completed and Starred) and move it to the next day. In the original task (for that day), I put my notes pertaining to that day in the "notes" section and mark it as completed.
3. Created custom search for Daily Diary. This allows me to use the Daily Diary search and have a neat listing...chronologically by date...of my entries, day-by-day.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.