ForumsGetting Things Done®ThinkingRock versus Toodledo

ThinkingRock versus Toodledo
chafic2783

Posted: Sep 18, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
Good evening everyone,

I am recently a new user to the whole GTD framework, and so far, I actually think it has been working for me. I'm finally breaking down some bad habits and seeing new more-productive ones reform.

My first introduction to GTD, however, has been through ThinkingRock (TR). Also I've never read David Allen's book. While TR has been a nice introduction using a program designed specifically around GTD, I'm starting to see some limitations. For example, the interface is limited, but packed with tonnes of customizable options. The development seems to be very slow and understaffed, as well, the website is a mess.

I'm just wondering how previous (or current?) TR users compare it to Toodledo (TD). I haven't "switched over" yet, but TD seems well supported and has a huge user base. The Android application seems well developed (despite being by a third party).

Do you find that TD can support just as robust of a GTD system as TR? Is there anything that would make you think TR is more superior? Do you get along just fine using TD versus TR?

I read a post on TR versus TD that was dated back to 2008. I've reposted the question because I believe there have been developments in both programs that justify a new analysis on the two.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Sincerely,
C.
Folke X

Posted: Sep 19, 2011
Although I am not an expert on GTD - and like you, I also never read the book - I believe Toodledo supports anything you might want to implement. I think you are quite safe here.

There are many other GTD followers here, and there are probably just as many more whose personal experiences coincide a lot with David Allen's. We all seem to have found our way around here.

Good luck.
mco

Posted: Sep 27, 2011
I haven't looked at TR in years. It always seemed too rigid and slow. Toodledo can be quite effective for most people.
jaffamcneill

Posted: Sep 29, 2011
Score: 3 Reference
I'm a big fan of ThinkingRock as in my view it's the best "by the book" implementation of GTD. I particularly love the way you can set up your projects to switch the status of a task to "next action" after you've completed the previous one.
However I gave up on having to carry it around with me on a memory stick (big PITA with corporate networks), when I can get at ToodleDo tasks from just about anywhere. The TR guys need to get it together to synch their stuff with a website, I just can't understand why they haven't done it yet.
disser

Posted: Nov 08, 2011
Score: 2 Reference
I have been trying to move away from TR, but haven't found anything that implements GTD as purely as it does. The problems I have with TR are the lack of a reliable mobile solution and the glacial pace of development. Some people don't like the rigidity of TR, but I like that it helps me work on one sort of task (capture, process, organize, do, review) at a time rather than random-tasking.

Another KEY feature of TR that I haven't seen in any other system is making templates and being able to have them auto-start. For example, my weekly review is a set of 13 steps I do in order, and when Friday rolls along, the Weekly Review project is activating and step 1 is the top action on my next actions list. That's going to be a difficult feature to live without.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.