ForumsGetting Things Done®Triple Challenge - ToodleDo, GTD Outlook Add-in & gSyncit

Triple Challenge - ToodleDo, GTD Outlook Add-in & gSyncit
2dk

Posted: Mar 09, 2012
Score: 1 Reference
My GTD journey has brought me to an acceptable but not ideal solution using the the Netcentrics GTD Outlook Add-in with Outlook on my PC and then syncing via gSyncit with ToodleDo so that I can view my tasks on my iPhone in the ToodleDo app when I am away from my computer.

Here is tough challenge to explain, let alone accomplish…

The GTD Outlook Add-in that I use (by NetCentrics Corp) lists my contexts (@Calls, @Computer etc….) as categories in Outlook.

It also has a category called Projects under which are listed all of my projects (Plan and prepare for birthday party, Adjust stock portfolio, Do maintenance on vehicles etc…)

Each of these projects has multiple tasks beneath them that are steps toward completing the Projects.

The task views I use most often in Outlook show:
- The Contexts with the relevant tasks listed beneath them
- the Projects with the relevant tasks listed beneath them

In the ToodleDo iPhone App I have been able to reproduce the Contexts view, but not the Projects view.

I have tried without success to make the Projects that are listed beneath the Projects category in Outlook my Folders in Toodledo, and to keep the Contexts that are also listed as categories in Outlook as Contexts in Toodledo.

If you can explain how to generate both views in the ToodleDo iPhone app, or offer another solution to accomplish my goal I would be thrilled.

For now I have compromised by giving up on the Tasks by Project view in the iPhone ToodleDo App and just view tasks according to Contexts.

Thanks!

This message was edited Mar 09, 2012.
Dave

Posted: Mar 09, 2012
Score: -1 Reference
I have the David Allen book on Outlook and GTD and does a great job of explaining how to do solve this. If you want to adhere to the "gospel" of David Allen, project lists don't need to be looked at until your weekly review. During the week you should be able to work off of your context lists.

The reason for this is that it is very hard to stick to your system when you have to depend on your context AND project views (I know this from experience, it is easier said than done).

For your weekly review one idea is to have a project keyword within your tasks. Then when you want to view the full project just type that keyword in the search and it will bring up all of the tasks with that word while displaying their category or context.

Hope that helps, but it is VERY VERY easy to over complicate the system
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.