ForumsGetting Things Done®Proximo's GTD Setup

Proximo's GTD Setup
Proximo

Posted: Feb 22, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
@uarnold,

I just checked and what I do is add the Starred field as a criteria. This shows the sub-task of any Project that I added the star too.

Take a look.

http://screencast.com/t/MWRiYTc4ZT

Need to play with more options to see if sub-task can be shown while in Nested mode.
John Gardenhire

Posted: Feb 23, 2010
Score: -1 Reference
Hey Proximo, Awesome post. I have been losing sleep for several months trying to get an electronic GTD process down for both work and personal and this has helped me a lot.

What skin/theme are you using for Toodledo and where can I get it? I like most of all like how each folder give a number in parentheses detailing how many items they contain.

This message was edited Feb 23, 2010.
Proximo

Score: 2 Reference
Posted by John Gardenhire:
Hey Proximo, Awesome post. I have been losing sleep for several months trying to get an electronic GTD process down for both work and personal and this has helped me a lot.

What skin/theme are you using for Toodledo and where can I get it? I like most of all like how each folder give a number in parentheses detailing how many items they contain.

All the Styles/Themes I use for Toodledo are created by Vin Thomas from VINTOM.com. Vin is a Toodledo user and Designer.

Here is a link to some Toodledo Styles showing the Vintom created styles that I use.

http://bit.ly/a0pk3R

You will need a browser that supports scripts or greasmonkey. I use Firefox.

This message was edited Feb 23, 2010.
John Gardenhire

Thanks for the info Proximo :) Looks like I need to know how to code a bit to tweak these. I downloaded a few to try them out but can't seem to get the task quantity by the folder names. Am I missing anything?
PeterW 

Hi John,

Displaying the number of tasks in a folder is a Toodledo account setting. Look for "Show Tab Counts" towards the bottom of the settings.
Proximo

Posted by John Gardenhire:
can't seem to get the task quantity by the folder names. Am I missing anything?

John,

I overlooked this part of your statement. Peter is right as usual. :-) It's a setting you can turn on.

Thanks Peter.
John Gardenhire

Posted by PeterW:
Hi John,

Displaying the number of tasks in a folder is a Toodledo account setting. Look for "Show Tab Counts" towards the bottom of the settings.

you are awesome, thanks so much!
jamison

Posted: Feb 26, 2010
@Proximo: Has there been any major changes in your process or the toodledo application that has altered the way your setup is described in your initial post in August of 2009?
Mike

Posted: Feb 27, 2010
I need some help from the GTD Gods. I have been using Toodledo for 8 months and have been getting little to nothing done. Thought I would check out the forum before moving to something else. After reading some of the post on GTD, Seeing all the time you guys have to post in the forum, redesigning the look of your Toodledo, and even work on making your own apps. I Ran down and got the book. Now after reading most of the forum post and half of the book I have a major GTD brain freeze!!! Not to mention a 3 foot high pile of Stuff (I have another S word I call it but will stick to stuff) that I am trying to process.

I have 3 locations in Nor-Cal and just got handed 5 more in So-Cal so I am now traveling a lot and have to get set up in the cloud. Here is what I have so far.

Toodledo I just set my folders up like Proximo’s example. The 5 locations in So-Cal are a mess so not quite sure how to set up context or if I should use tabs. I have lot of projects and programs to implement some will be for all locations and some site specific.

I use outlook mostly for e-mail and contacts. And it is now not a good option for e-mail. We use google e-mail for our locations but my business e-mail is my name@mylocation. I set up an Igoogle account but can not find an app that actually works to get my mail though google. Any suggestions here would be appreciated.

I was using notebook to keep notes for each location but when I went to Proximo.s set up they changed too. Now I have 35 unassigned things in there.

I downloaded Evernote and I’m thinking of using it for reference material. Unless someone has something better. I am planning to scan in anything I will need to complete task or projects. I’m tired of getting a call back and what I need is 400 miles away in my desk.

I have an iPhone but looking for an app Pocket Informant, Appigo ToDo, or toodledo ???

Any suggestions on how to set all this up would be appreciated.
c.barber78

Posted: Feb 27, 2010
Posted by Proximo:

My Context are based on Location or Area of Focus.

Work, Personal, Proxstud (My website)

I now use Tags for Context that are specific to a tool or resource I need.

Phone, Email, Internet, Errand, etc.

I recently added the Tags as a second level Context field to be more specific on the resource or tool I require.

Love your setup :)
May I ask out of interest, why do you use resources and tags and locations as contexts and not the inverse?

I was also wondering why you used folders instead of statuses?

Is waiting for intended to be used (in terms of the GTD system) as a folder like someday/maybe or as a context?

Lastly, I saw in one of your later videos that there was no actions folder, instead there was a next folder. Are you using this for the same thing or is it changed?
John Gardenhire

Posted: Feb 28, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Posted by Proximo:

Need to play with more options to see if sub-task can be shown while in Nested mode.

Any Luck with this?

This message was edited Feb 28, 2010.
Proximo

Posted: Feb 28, 2010
@c.barber78

I started using context for my locations before tags improved with the quick pick menu. Too tired of changing my setup.

I use folders to represent the GTD list as most GTD specific applications do. It's simpler and accomplishes the same thing.

Waiting for is a list, but remember that GTD can be implemented anyway it makes sense to you.

Next = Actions. Same thing. You can call it what you want. :-)

Bottom line is that GTD is about doing and that means something different for everyone.

"GTD is not a system but a systematic approach." - David Allen
John Gardenhire

Posted: Mar 04, 2010
Posted by Proximo:
@c.barber78

I started using context for my locations before tags improved with the quick pick menu. Too tired of changing my setup.

I use folders to represent the GTD list as most GTD specific applications do. It's simpler and accomplishes the same thing.

Waiting for is a list, but remember that GTD can be implemented anyway it makes sense to you.

Next = Actions. Same thing. You can call it what you want. :-)

Bottom line is that GTD is about doing and that means something different for everyone.

"GTD is not a system but a systematic approach." - David Allen

So Proximo, are your actions in your action folder linked to your projects in your projects folder in any way? I currently use your method with GTD folders where I have a projects assigned to the projects folder and sub-tasks as multiple steps. As for next actions, I create a new task with the next action and assign it context but in the action folder. So say for instance I have a project of "Buy Tires"

I'd create a task in the projects folder called "Buy Tires" with sub-tasks like:

- Get Price Quotes
- Determine budget
- Make Appointment

I would then create a new task in the action folder for the next physical action I have to do to "get price quote" which would be "call Les Schwab".

Am I being redundant in my system?

The lingo often gets so confusing when people use words for multiple meanings..
c.barber78

Posted: Mar 05, 2010
@Proximo
cheers for that.
One question I have, is how do you separate next actions from a focus list? It seems as if there is no real focus list, because the stars are just used for next actions. Anyone have suggestions how this could be implemented, along with the todo iphone app?
Cheers
howardksmith

Posted: Mar 05, 2010
Proximo - Seeing your post and process when I started Toodledo was a Godsend. I've mimic'd most of it for my set up.

Question: Do you use the Firefox plugin to add tasks. If so, how do you account for / handle tasks that you know should be associated with a particular project? Given the 'leading +' approach to annotating projects, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to handle?
patrick.adamek

Posted: Mar 07, 2010
Hi Everyone,

i posted this on the ToDo App thread but i think this will also fit in here.

Hello Everybody,

i just started using Toodledo on the basis of the Proximo setup.

@Proximo: Thanks for sharing your setup. It is really great.

I am using this as a basis. I don´t use the star function. Instead my Next Actions folder holds all my Next Actions. This includes the project related Next Actions. I realize this by assigning the subtask another folder (the Next Actions Folder) than the parent task (it is assigned to the projects folder). I know by using this "method" i have to change the flattened and indented filter for subtasks to show up in my Next Actions folder. But this is ok for me because i only have to use the indented view during the weekly review. So i don´t have to switch often.

I am writing this here because there is an issue when using ToDo with this concept. It seems that ToDo does not support that subtasks reside in another folder than the parent task. if i sync with Toodledo the ToDo App changes the folder of the subtask back to the folder of the parent. the result is that the "project next actions" disappear from my next actions lists. this is a killer for me. i also think ToDo has a nicer interface but ill use the Toodledo app because is saves the integrity of my data.

Has anyone of you also realized this? Thanks four your reply and best regards
Patrick
PeterW 

Posted: Mar 07, 2010
I started doing the same recently and did not realise this. Thanks for the heads up.
glenn956

Posted: Mar 09, 2010
Posted by Mike:
I use outlook mostly for e-mail and contacts. And it is now not a good option for e-mail. We use google e-mail for our locations but my business e-mail is my name@mylocation. I set up an Igoogle account but can not find an app that actually works to get my mail though google. Any suggestions here would be appreciated.

I was using notebook to keep notes for each location but when I went to Proximo.s set up they changed too. Now I have 35 unassigned things in there.

I downloaded Evernote and I’m thinking of using it for reference material. Unless someone has something better. I am planning to scan in anything I will need to complete task or projects. I’m tired of getting a call back and what I need is 400 miles away in my desk.

I have an iPhone but looking for an app Pocket Informant, Appigo ToDo, or toodledo ???

Any suggestions on how to set all this up would be appreciated.
I don't quite understand why Outlook won't work. I used to have my Outlook email set up as POP3, but switched to IMAP about a year ago, so I can work seamlessly from my desktop, laptop, and iPhone. It works great, at least for me.

I also use Evernote, and in the GTD context, I just use it as a Reference drawer, just like a physical file. I basically just use it for web based reference, so my situation is a little different than yours, and when I know I'm going to need a file, I'll just carry the hardcopy, but I love Evernote. It's a very cool app.

I also have Notebook, though I don't really use it that much. I much prefer old fashioned pen & paper to keep notes, but in Notebook, you can hide folders, so when you sync up with Toodledo, those folders and tasks won't show on your iPhone.

On my iPhone, I use Toodledo. I had ToDo, but it doesn't support the starred field, which is central to Proximo's next actions, so I switched. Although, when I'm out on the road, I much prefer hard copy, so I don't need to fumble around with my iPhone if I'm trying to work through my Calls list. However, I wish that the Toodledo folks would fix the word wrap so that the Descriptions aren't cut off in Grid format, which I like much better than the multi-line format.

As Proximo's said, the implementation of GTD is imperfect on ALL of these set-ups and it's about getting compromises that work for you, which is much more important, unless we all work together and develop our own GTD software. Now, THAT would be killer.

This message was edited Mar 09, 2010.
Claudio

Posted by glenn956:
On my iPhone, I use Toodledo. I had ToDo, but it doesn't support the starred field, which is central to Proximo's next actions, so I switched.
The current version of Todo supports Starred tasks.
glenn956

Posted by Claudio:
Posted by glenn956:
On my iPhone, I use Toodledo. I had ToDo, but it doesn't support the starred field, which is central to Proximo's next actions, so I switched.
The current version of Todo supports Starred tasks.
Hmm ... I'll have to take a look at it again since I still have it on my phone. Thanks for pointing that out.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.