ForumsDevelopersMultiple Tags Per Task - My Prayer Request

Multiple Tags Per Task - My Prayer Request
Michael Royal

Posted: Jun 25, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
One of the most useful features of Outlook is the ability to tag any Task (or Contact, etc.) with multiple "Categories." You can then organize your Tasks by category, and all of the groups you have built with your custom categories can be overlapping. (E.g., your "write a funny joke" task might fit in the category of "home" and in the category of "funny things I want to do."

Using this kind of design is at once more simple and more powerful than the present design of the Tags column in TD which allows the user to select only one label for each task. I think TD should allow multiple custom tags separated by commas or semi colons. Then create a view in which the user can view by tag.

(Another great example of this kind of functionality is Adobe Bridge, in which the user can tag assets (photos, etc.) with an unlimited number of tags, like "portraits" and "family.")

Forgive me for my sins, and please help all those who are less fortunate.

Amen.
Transisto

Posted: Jun 25, 2010
I don't understand, I'm pretty sure that's the way TD actually work.

That is : you can have many tags per task and do customized search for : "tag x" and "tag y" or "tag z"

This message was edited Jun 25, 2010.
Michael Royal

Posted: Jun 28, 2010
My prayer is answered!

Thank you, Transisto, for your message!

The reason I was confused is that when I went to the "Main" view and clicked on "Tag" to order the page by tags, the section breaks were labeled not by individual tags (such that one task might appear in multiple places on the page depending on how many tags it had - [I'm used to this from Outlook's categories]), but rather each section break title is each unique combination of tags that occur. Thus, one of the section titles would be "home, funny things I want to do" and there might be only one task that would appear in that section of the page.

I think Outlook's version of sorting by tags ("categories") is more useful, so TD developers may want to look at that. (And BTW, it appears that the iPhone app does organize tags the Outlook way, which is great.)

I am so happy that the main functionality of tagging is available on Toodledo. As you mentioned, Transisto, for the website, and can do a search to get the results I want.

Thanks again for the help!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.