ForumsThird-Party ApplicationsWhat's the interest in a full desktop client for ToodleDo?

What's the interest in a full desktop client for ToodleDo?
Peter

Posted: Dec 18, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I've been using ToodleDo for almost a year now after having given up on OmniFocus, and I am enjoying the experience, but I do miss the various advantages of a desktop app. I'm pondering writing one for either Mac or Windows (or maybe even both), but am not sure where to fit it into the already full work schedule - help us decide by taking a quick survey! If there is enough interest to warrant the time investment, we'll start working on one. I'm thinking of an interface like 'Things' (http://www.thingsapp.com) - nice and clean and uncluttered, and simple (e.g. one of my favorite ToodleDo features is the 'hotlist').

Survey link: http://www.cappuccinoware.com/node/2

Thanks!

- Pete
Peter S...

Posted: Dec 19, 2009
I completed the survey. I hope you will keep us posted here and allow for some discussion.

There is also this project:
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/8/3967/0/taskangel-for-windows-syncs-directly-with-toodledo.html

Though they don't seem to be starting with 1:1 feature compatibility with Toodledo.
Peter

Thanks - so far there have been 10 responses evenly split between Mac and Windows. TaskAngel does look interesting too. I'm actually a bit surprised that other apps haven't tried to do this yet (I'm thinking of OmniFocus, Things, etc. adding optional sync to ToodleDo).
Peter

Thanks to those that have responded. There is still a fairly even split between Mac and Windows, with some great suggestions. I am leaning more towards starting the Mac version first, since TaskAngel is providing a Windows app (although it's still missing some important features right now). Plus...I use a Mac primarily, so there is a selfish reason in there too.

I concur with some of the respondents that keeping things as close to ToodleDo as possible makes sense to avoid any weird sync issues. I'm basically thinking of the ToodleDo iPhone app, but as a nice clean Mac desktop application, with things like growl/dock notifications.
kylec

Posted: Dec 23, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
How about creating something in Adobe Air. Relatively simple development time, acting much like an iPhone app. Also, completely cross-compatible with various platforms.
Vin Thomas

I am most interested in offline access. AIR is a nice tool from time to time, but I would much rather see a native mac application.
Dave

I am one of the ones in your survey that checked ¨Windows.¨ Hopefully your Mac client will be so good that you will decide to do a PC one to go with it. Taskangel sounds ok but I think $30 is too much right now. I can see paying $15 but thats it for right now. Now if you did integrate Evernote that would be serious. Good luck on your app hope it does well. Toodledo is such a great web app that a desktop client would be excellent.
Peter

Posted: Dec 30, 2009
Right now it's a fairly even split between Mac and Windows, with a slight tip towards Windows. Price point around $20-$25 seems to be right, which would be consistent with a straightforward mapping to ToodleDo without getting too fancy, and then offering a more advanced version with fancier features later. I'll collect some more data and then see where to go. But I agree that having an offline capable desktop app would be really nice, since syncing to the cloud is really useful and the iPhone app is also very nice - it really completes the picture.
Peter

Posted: Dec 30, 2009
And oh yes, I also like trial versions so you can decide without any commitment, so if I were to develop an app, there would definitely be a trial. It's one of the downsides of the iPhone app system, no trials (unless you release two separate apps).
mclown_98

Posted: Jan 08, 2010
Hi,

Honestly a native mac application would be absolutly wonderful. I like Toodledo and all its features but a web access is not convenient in my workflow. It's also due to the fact that I'm travelling a lot and also working a lot in spaces without internet connection for my laptop (and switching from my desktop to my Iphone only to recopy what I have on my laptop is boring).

This is the only thing Toodledo doesn't have to be absolutly perfect.

So thanks in advance.
dwb

Posted: Jan 14, 2010
I'd say a desktop application is critical. As a Plus Pro User, I am constantly using Toodledo, both personally and professionally. I work almost exclusively on Mac and iPhone, and am forced to Fluid app to try and emulate an application. This is problematic when I try to access uploaded files, as I invariably have to launch a browser window due to security issues with this method. iCal integration that isn't just read only would also be excellent.

I'd also add that integration with Evernote for linking to notes would be also a great too. This wouldn't necessarily compete with Toodledo's own notes functionality, as users to store files and notes connected to tasks in Toodledo, and keep reference material in Evernote.
CAB

Posted: Jan 26, 2010
Score: 2 Reference
Desktop App for Windows, Evernote integration and something like a Gantt display of projects or integration with the iphone app "projects" would be great.
The software as it is is already very helpfull.
Thanks
willyhuc

Posted: Mar 14, 2010
I have to agree with the last couple of comments. In fact, I accessed the forums today just to see if a desktop client for windows might be in development.

As much as I value Toodledo, it suffers from comparison to the way Evernote syncs between desktop clients and the cloud. To me, this is absolutely crucial. And...Evernote integration and a gantt display would be huge as well.
c.barber78

Posted: Mar 27, 2010
Completed the survey. Would love this, whats the status?
Transisto

Posted: Mar 31, 2010
+1
Peter

Posted: Apr 02, 2010
Score: 2 Reference
Update: I have started working on the app using a cross-platform development tool, so it would be a Windows and a Mac version. But it is slow going so far (mostly due to my own over-commitments to other projects, fatherhood, etc) rather than to any inherent difficulty in the coding itself. If there are any other developers out there who'd like to collaborate to speed things up, let me know. I continue to be surprised that other software companies with more resources that I are not jumping to fill in this void.
Uwe Schey

Posted: Apr 12, 2010
Great - sorry, but I am not a developer. But if there is somebody needed for testing. I would be very happy to help with my macbook.
Cheers

Uwe
bijoy.mathew

Posted: Apr 20, 2010
not a developer either, but if you need a windows tester, I'm available
KnightBaron

Posted: May 02, 2010
Maybe I can help. What tools are you using?
Peter

Posted: May 03, 2010
We're using Real Studio - http://www.realsoftware.com/realbasic/. It is a cross-platform desktop application development environment. The language is very visual basic like, but is fully object oriented and compiles natively to Windows, Mac or Linux.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.