ForumsThird-Party ApplicationsToodledo alternate web interface

Toodledo alternate web interface
ChrisFR

Posted: Aug 29, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
Hi guys,

Sorry for cross-posting this but I already got some goot feedback from fellow developers so I feel like you should get a chance to have a look at it for yourselves:

I love Toodledo. However Toodledo's web interface has always left me feeling that it could be, better.

So, if you are interested in beta testing an alternate interface -- which I dubbed Tooredo -- just let me know. It can be found at http://labs.voilaweb.com/tooredo

Do not let its seemingly simplistic look fool you: that's the whole idea. You can do lots of things with it without being overwhelmed (or at least that's what I'm trying to achieve here)
You can display tasks, filter them based on context and folder, create new tasks using "almost" natural language, edit existing tasks, re-prioritize them, create folders and contexts on-the-fly, etc.

Please click the 'help' link to get a better idea of what's there.

Cheers,
-Chris.

Note: Feedback is VERY welcome!
Salgud

Posted: Aug 30, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
My first impression is, "What does this do for me that TD doesn't already do?" The answer is, "nothing". I guess maybe you were thinking that the TD interface is intimidating to some, and to simplify it, which is fine. Having used all kinds of software for years, I don't find it imtimidating, never did. Maybe a bit confusing at first.

The problem with your adaptation is that it doesn't give me all the fields I need to define a task. I prefer either to just quickly name a task and leave it in my Inbox (No Folder folder) until later, or fill everything it needs in. Your idea is rignt in the middle, so it's of no use to me.

And the "Help" and "Test" links didnt' work. "Hide" button should be a "Back to Top" button, unless it's supposed to do something else.

Just curious, why the "sample" tasks at the bottom? There are users who don't know that a task is?

What is the point of "Day after Saturday" instead of "Sunday"?

Nice effort - it might help some beginners out.

This message was edited Aug 30, 2010.
ChrisFR

Salgud, thanks for testing it out.

What browser are you using? Obviously there are some issues here since these buttons did not work for you. Maybe more things did not work either, which might obviously make the app a bit worse for your taste :)

The sample tasks are simply there to give you an idea of what type of syntax you can use. Admittedly they are a tad goofy. I suppose that "day after tomorrow" if a bit more relevant than "day after Saturday"

The whole idea is to allow you to capture a new task very quickly, following the GTD methodoloogy: you simply enter your taks info as a string of text. No context, no project, nothing.
Yes, you can also enter these guys as well but it's only if you feel like it. In fact, I am afraid that you may not even have seen that due to browser incompatibility. My fault, of course, for not testing on more browsers!

-C.
Salgud

Score: -1 Reference
Posted by ChrisFR:
Salgud, thanks for testing it out.

What browser are you using? Obviously there are some issues here since these buttons did not work for you. Maybe more things did not work either, which might obviously make the app a bit worse for your taste :)

Using IE7 (work for the state, we're always behind the curve). Still, a pretty common browser I imagine.

The sample tasks are simply there to give you an idea of what type of syntax you can use. Admittedly they are a tad goofy. I suppose that "day after tomorrow" if a bit more relevant than "day after Saturday"

The whole idea is to allow you to capture a new task very quickly, following the GTD methodoloogy: you simply enter your taks info as a string of text. No context, no project, nothing.
Yes, you can also enter these guys as well but it's only if you feel like it. In fact, I am afraid that you may not even have seen that due to browser incompatibility. My fault, of course, for not testing on more browsers!

-C.

If you had mentioned in your original post that it was largely intended for GTDers, I wouldn't have looked at it. I'm not a GTDer.

If other things were missing, then I didn't experience what you're trying to do, so maybe it is more useful to me than I thought. When I click on any of the gray text, I just get an "Error on Page" in the bottom left of the browser. "Submit" just clears the screen.
I can enter a task name, date and note, none of the other fields will accept any entry. Is that how it's supposed to be?

To me, mostly it seems like a simplified input screen for TD. Since I'm now used to the rather cluttered standard one, I don't know that I need a simplified one.

The other issue for me is that I use a lot of Start Dates, to prevent a gazillion future tasks from appearing on my daily Work list. So if I'm going to enter more than the name, I'd probably want the Start Date field there too. Just a suggestion.

This message was edited Aug 30, 2010.
PeterW 

Chris,

I tried it out. Here are my brief comments:

1. Once I'd used the popup to enter a date, I was unable to manually remove a date and go back to blank.

2. In terms of the interface, I didn't find having all the fields one under the other down the page easy to use, and am not a fan of needing to input a code into a field to display tasks, etc. I guess I am used to TD's tabbed interface which is quite effective for me.

3. I like the style/look/feel that you've used, i.e. the popups and field labels and text are all more modern than TD. Which just goes to show that it can't be too difficult for the standard TD interface to be modernised.
ChrisFR

Posted: Aug 31, 2010
Wow. I cannot believe how much I had broken it with a simple comma, for you IE users.
If you try the app again, you may find that it is quite different from what you saw before.
All apologies about that.

Peter: thanks a lot for giving it a try. I will look into the date issue.
Yes, the application was written to match my own needs first (:g:) and I feel that an all-keyboard interface is a good place to start, hence the 't' thing.
I will I will add a 'tasks' link next to 'help' and 'test'

Cheers,
-C.
mrblogfr

Posted: Oct 11, 2010
Hello, I am old user of RTM. I just switched to toodledo for many reasons.

The only frustrating points are :
offline mode missiong
ugly interface.

As for interface, the slim version is enough for me.

I am still waiting for offline mode.

Thanks

This message was edited Oct 11, 2010.
Dougyitbos

Posted: Jan 12, 2011
FYI:

The http://labs.voilaweb.com/tooredo doesn't seem to be recognizing any of the contexts that are on my existing tasks.

Kind of a big deal.
Otherwise I like the simplified UI
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.