ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Linden"
Linden

Posted Dec 17, 2009 in: Google checkout not working?
Score: 0
  • Linden
  • Posted: Dec 17, 2009
  • Score: 0
@TheGriff: I'm not sure, but it sounds to me like Toodledo did some promotional work through Twitter, offering a rebate to folks that use their coupon code on Google Checkout.
Linden

Posted Dec 17, 2009 in: Cloning Tasks & Changing Context(s)...
  • Linden
Hey Rosco,

The entry will stay in the original folder after you change it, but only until you refresh the screen. If you have keyboard shortcuts enabled, I think pressing 'r' will do it. If you don't have the shortcuts enabled, most browsers will refresh if you hit F5.

If you're cloning the task, the original will still be associated with the original folder. If you've forgotten to check it off, that may be the copy you're still seeing on the originating folder list.

Does this help, or did I misunderstand what's going on?
Linden

• Linden
Ditto. I actually followed Proximo's original idea of using the folders to mimic status, in order to get the custom status settings I wanted.

It would be great to be able to customize the "status" field to free up "folders" for another use!
Linden

Posted Dec 17, 2009 in: Routine Tasks
  • Linden
Yeah, I suck at keeping on top of my chores. I do have a "chores" context, so I don't get them mixed up with other important home or work projects.

But all the same, I'm still at a point where I need dates with repeat or they'll never get done. (Or at least get done WAY less often than they ought to.)

By using a start-date instead of a due-date, I can at least keep the chores off the hard landscape. Hopefully someday they'll all be automatic like the laundry is for you!
Linden

Posted Dec 14, 2009 in: Newbie question: sub-tasks?
  • Linden
  • Posted: Dec 14, 2009
You're welcome, jml. I hope you find it as helpful as I did!
Linden

Posted Dec 14, 2009 in: Ordering tasks? (not subtopics)
  • Linden
There are a few ways you can try to pull out the stuff that you want to work on first.

Here are some ideas:
* set an item's status to "next action" and then work off the status list
* sort by start date or due date to bring more urgent tasks to the top
* use the star to mark tasks you want to work on today (regardless of priority or due date)

I try to follow a GTD framework, so I don't actually try to make an ordered list of what I'm going to work on at a particular time. Instead, I review my active next-steps and assess whatever makes the most sense for me to tackle in my current setting and timeframe. That way I can adjust quickly if priorities shift or new urgent work comes along.

Maybe some other folks who make daily plans might have other ideas that I missed!
Linden

Posted Dec 14, 2009 in: Coming back to TD
  • Linden
You can only manually sort subtasks. Oddly, there hadn't been any demand for manual sorting of ALL tasks until that enhancement was released.

For the subtasks you created accidentally, simply dragging them to the far left will pull them out and make them standalone tasks again.
Linden

Posted Dec 13, 2009 in: Assignor Questions
  • Linden
  • Posted: Dec 13, 2009
I think the main reason is that Toodledo was primarily designed for managing one's own projects. There are lots of ways to add custom information if someone feels a need for a field that isn't already present -- in the notes, tags, or as part of a task name.

While I agree that something like "Assigned to" should prove very useful for people working collaboratively, I find it hard to believe that it's a unreasonable gap in the software.
Linden

Posted Dec 12, 2009 in: Newbie question: sub-tasks?
  • Linden
  • Posted: Dec 12, 2009
I can't imagine using Toodledo without the subtasks. I use parent tasks to track a multi-step project and then use subtasks to track the steps required to complete it.

There are several ways that you can mark steps that aren't needed yet so they don't clutter your working view (everyone seems to have their own approach), and any time you want to review the whole project, you can simply expand the parent task.

There's also now manual ordering of subtasks, so if some of your steps need to be completed in a specific order you can indicate that order in how they're listed. There's no way to emulate this in the non-pro account.

For $15/year, I've never looked back!
Linden

Posted Dec 12, 2009 in: Routine Tasks
  • Linden
  • Posted: Dec 12, 2009
I'm one of the folks that uses the start date for routine tasks, and I do most commonly repeat by completion date.

If I usually do laundry on a Friday, I would have the repeat set to "every Friday -- by completion date". So, if I do the laundry on Sunday, it will reappear in my list the next Friday as always.

There are a few things that I have have marked to repeat by due date for reference convenience. These are generally tasks that need to be done once for each month, and I use the start date as an indication of which month's task needs to be done. For example -- downloading or reconciling financial statements. I need to reconcile each month's records, so if I miss a month, I do still want the reminder that there's another to catch up on!

Maybe for your custom search, look for any tasks with a Start Date before "tomorrow". That ought to get you everything that starts today AND started yesterday.

We all add our own flavour to how things are set up. I hope my perspective helps you figure out what might work for you!
Linden

Posted Dec 10, 2009 in: Days of week instead of Date?
  • Linden
  • Posted: Dec 10, 2009
I made some saved searches earlier this week that do this.

They just consist of:
"checked off" = "no"
AND
"due date" is "wednesday"

I have one search for each day of the week, labelled "1-Mon", "2-Tue", etc. so they appear in order.

It's been really handy if I want to quickly see what's coming down the pipe for the next couple of days.
Linden

Posted Dec 10, 2009 in: Context Idea
  • Linden
You're welcome! :)
Linden

• Linden
That's fair. I can see why that would add some complexity.

I follow a GTD-type setup, so I don't tend to pre-plan the order of my tasks (even by morning/night) unless they have a firm deadline. So I haven't encountered the need to have tasks manually ordered outside of a project with ordered steps. (And I use the new manual ordering for subtasks to handle that part.)

Some people use letters or numbers at the start of a task to handle manual ordering. That could free up the start date column for you to hide future tasks.

I just noticed that you are using the basic account. If the ordered steps are only important for you for multi-step projects, you will likely find upgrading to a Pro account worth your while. It's just $15/year, and I know it made a huge difference for me.
Linden

• Linden
  • Posted: Dec 09, 2009
Wow! I'm guessing that problem with Nozbe is why Toodledo refuses to comment on timelines. Programming doesn't always go smoothly, so perhaps it's better to have an internal deadline to shoot for than to commit to something publicly and then blow it when an unexpected glitch throws things way off course!

Toodledo is the first software I've ever used to manage my todo lists (aside from the standard issue Todo in my Palm Z22, which wasn't very flexible). I'm feeling very lucky, given the horror stories I've heard about some of the other options. :)
Linden

• Linden
Hi Joyce,

The best way to keep a task hidden until the day you want to see it next is to use the "start date" field. I do the same thing for my daily chores -- setting the start date and due date to the same day. Then when I have the filters set to "Hide future tasks", the chores that I've finished today don't appear on my list until the next day.

I know it's a bit of a hassle to have an extra column enabled, but the start date has definitely turned out to be valuable enough for me to justify it.

I hope it helps you, too!
Linden

Posted Dec 09, 2009 in: Context Idea
  • Linden
Assuming that I understand what you're after, you could use the "Due date" tab instead of the context tab. There, the "due today", "due tomorrow", etc. will be in the tabs across the top. Then you can sort by context first, and the contexts will appear on the dividing lines.

If you click the "close dividers" option, the system will remember it and start your screen that way next time!
Linden

• Linden
  • Posted: Dec 04, 2009
If you set only a start date, and then select "repeat from due date", it will use the start date instead. So, if you have the repeat set to "weekly" and complete the task today, the next start date will be a week from today.

If you have BOTH a start date and due date, then it will repeat from the due date, and set the start date to have the same lead time as the original. So, let's say you have a start date of yesterday and due date of today, with repeat set to weekly. If you complete the task today, the new due date will be a week from today, and the start date will be 6 days from now.

I hope this helps!
Linden

Posted Nov 26, 2009 in: Sharing task lists the way I need?
  • Linden
  • Posted: Nov 26, 2009
Posted by SteveR:
So does that mean that my best approach it to have 3 folders on my account

Steve (me)
Sue
Tracy

and then give Sue and Tracy permission to share the folder of their own name - i.e. they do not have any task lists actually on their account?

Posted by Toodledo:
That would work.

Disclaimer: I use Toodledo alone and have no experience actually using the delegate function or shared folder options. But reading the above gave me an idea, which may or may not actually be possible.

If Sue and Tracy have read-only access to Steve's folders named after them, can they clone a task or project to add to their own folders? That way Steve could assign a task to Tracy, keeping it in his own task list as a reminder to check on it or re-delegate as needed, while Tracy would also get a copy to sort as appropriate in his/her own account.

Again, this may not be possible. If not, it may not be worth implementing, given that a new delegation interface is already on the development list. But if it works, it could be a nice workaround in the meantime!
Linden

Posted Nov 23, 2009 in: Search not Working
  • Linden
  • Posted: Nov 23, 2009
Hey there,

I don't use Chrome, so I can't check this for you. If you haven't done so already, you might want to try posting this bug report to the Questions forum.

Toodledo checks that one much more frequently than the Tips&Tricks or GTD forums, since these are meant to be more for community chat and brainstorming.

Best of luck!
Linden

Posted Nov 23, 2009 in: Hidden options or Im blind? :P
  • Linden
  • Posted: Nov 23, 2009
You're welcome! I think we're all blind at one time or another. :)
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11      Next