• Posted: Oct 12, 2015
  • Score: 0
Thanks guys I'll give this a try!
BeetRoot

Score: 0
  • BeetRoot
  • Posted: May 25, 2015
I've tried several ToodleDo-compatible Android apps, including the official ToodleDo app, and none of them appear to handle sub-tasks the way I need.

How I use tasks and sub-tasks:

This is how I manage projects. The top-level item representing the project is a Task, and the indented items are subtasks:

Mulch the Garden Beds (Folder: Projects. Context: None)
Find receipt for mulch company we used last year (Folder: Next Actions, Context: Phone)
Order 5 yards of mulch (Folder: None, Context: None...same for all other sub-tasks below)
Edge the garden
Weed the garden
Spread mulch

This setup works great in the web app:
* I can see a list of projects by looking at the Projects folder
* I can expand any project for which I want to review next actions
* I can view the Next Actions folder to "pick off" just the very next action from all of my projects

I can't seem to get any Android apps to work the way I want. I can get to my Next Actions just fine, by viewing the Next Actions folder. But I can't easily get to my list of next actions (all but the first not in the Next Actions folder) for a project.

I think the feature I need is a simple one: When I tap on a task in the Projects folder, show me the list of sub-tasks. Ideally this would be an "expand" option similar to the web interface. But it could also work in a way that the task's details are shown, and the details include a list of its sub-tasks.

This seems like a very straightforward feature. I find it hard to believe I'm the only one using sub-tasks in the manner I described above?

I'd love any help or advice on how to make any of the Android mobile apps work for me. So far, they've not been useful.

Thanks!
Dave
BeetRoot

• BeetRoot
  • Posted: Jun 26, 2012
I'm checking back in on this as well. It frustrates me several times a day.
BeetRoot

• BeetRoot
  • Posted: Feb 14, 2012
Thank you!
BeetRoot

Score: 1
  • BeetRoot
  • Posted: Feb 13, 2012
  • Score: 1
Here's what I'm doing:

1. Select Folders, then my Projects folder, so I can see a list of projects. There are tasks with a folder of "Project."
2. Click circle icon with arrow in it next to a project and click Add Subtasks. Add task dialog appears with Project as the folder.
3. Select "No Folder" for my subtask, to prevent it from showing up in my Projects list.
4. Complete the rest of the task and click Save.

Result: Folder on new task set to Projects

Expected Result: Folder on new task set to No Folder.

Notes: If I select a different folder, such as Waiting For, it works fine. The problem seems to be that the system is setting a default value twice:

A. In the new task dialog.
B. If it finds that the new task has no folder in the new task dialog.

What I want is for the system to ignore case B. If I said "No Folder" I meant...NO FOLDER! :)

Today what this means is if I brainstorm a project and create, say, 10 tasks. I have to manually set the folder to No Folder on all of them. This is 30 clicks:

Click to make the Folder dropdown appear.
Click to drop down the list
Click to select No Folder

A shortcut is to click once on Folder, then press Home. This is 10 clicks and 10 keypresses. Still frustrating.

Is there any work-around to this? If not can this behavior please be changed in the application?

Thanks!
Dave