ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by etanafinkler"
etanafinkler

Posted Nov 02, 2010 in: How to flag items as 'next actions'?
Score: 1
alexandremrj and PeterW and sczuka,
thanks for the replies... I think I'm just frustrated that "both solutions are lacking some features." and I have seen the menu structure and did settle on the

"View by: Folder and you will see Next, Projects, etc." I hadn't gotten to "If you then sort the view by Due Date"... but I did notice today that that is how the Touch is displaying the info, and I probably can work with that.

Practice now practice... and asking questions... thanks... I suppose part of it is that I am not only new to ToDo and Toodledoo, but also new to GTD, and already overwhelmed by the whole home renovation stuff anyway!!!

thanks for the quick and thought-out responses.

etana
etanafinkler

Posted Nov 02, 2010 in: How to flag items as 'next actions'?
Score: 1
>Appigo Todo does not have the 'status' field so if you are using it on the website to
>flag tasks as next actions, you will be completely lost when you look at your iPhone.
@PeterW
Yes, this is exactly what killed me., I spent HOURS setting it up, only to find that ToDo didn't have Status, while in Toodledo, Status is the "next action, someday, delegated, etc"

No wonder I was floored when I synced and nothing worked. I had researched, thought it out, looked at different models....

So then at 5:30am I redid the whole think quick and dirty in Toodledo, using the ToDo folders as status as PeterW says: "Todo (Next, Projects, Waiting for, Someday) are your status".

I'm bleary-eyed and brain dead and was doing other things today. Tomorrow I'll begin looking at it on my Touch on the metro to work, and see what I have. At first glance, I have Next Actions on top folder, with a chronological list of overdue, today, tomorrow, next week, future, completed and no due date on the first NEXT Actions screen. I think this may work.

I go then to Toodledo and I'm kind of lost. I did a search for groceries, or shopping and it doesn't turn up anything and.. maybe I deleted it, dunno.

I think the Toodledo interface is crap. I'm using

>When you use the slim website and the start page is status, do you see your next actions?
@alexandremrj... What is "the slim website?"

@vsbsubscribe, I don't want to move away from GTD. I have tried many org styles and none work. I am a procrastinator. I would really like to adhere very closely with GTD because I am drawn to it, and I think it has potential. My hardest think is letting go of the notion that each thing is under a project and sub projects. I may take some of the larger projects into a dedicated app. Home renovation maybe should have been in an app by itself. I had hoped that Toodledoo/ToDo would help me focus and manage the home reno, and thru that I'd learn the apps.

For example. Okay I know the next 2 actions for buying the granite for my countertop. But there are maybe 10 actions associated with it, since I haven't yet even picked the store or the color. It would seem I need a place to store more than "next actions" and postponed or action or someday for the other parts of the granite project, which is just one part of the home reno project. It would make sense all the ideas I have about the home reno flooring would go under a project called home eno, sub project called flooring, sub-projects t for pergo, wood and carpeting. So I don't know how to integrate this into the system of PeterW's that I'm leaning to using for ToDo.

My favorite app lately is National Velocity and SimpleNoteapp.com website....

I'll be back after I use this structure a bit.
etanafinkler

Posted Nov 01, 2010 in: How to flag items as 'next actions'?
Score: -1
Ugh. I just stayed up all night rearranging Toodledo according to what I had been reading about GTD with toodledo on diff websites. Using the folders as "who I am" ie,
home owner, artist, Financial mgr, .... maybe kind of like Alexandremrj... and now I just synced with ToDo on my Touch and it does NOT work. I just don't see the next actions!!! That is what I need to see first...

Now I'm thinking I have to do it all over again with PeterW's
- Next
- Projects
- Waiting for
- Someday

as the folders... UGH . It seems I'll never set this up; I'm spending so many hours trying to coordinate toodleto and ToDo, but I"ve researched online and can't find anything better. Taska and Things are about $50 /yr I think, and I just spent for the Toodleto pro since I thought it could handle the GTD and I know I am new at GTD but darn this is just too complex. Toodledo has contexts that don't seem to work ... I set up all the Next Actions etc there, and they don't even show up on ToDo,,,,

any advice? I guess tomorrow night I'll have to redo everything with this setup; maybe it will work
- Next
- Projects
- Waiting for
- Someday

I've GOT to see my Next Actions quickly on my Touch, without going through menus

thanks, eTana
etanafinkler

Score: 0
Thanks for the quick reply, and especially for the reference and links; I'll check these out...
looking at some of the "setup" threads in the GTD section of the forums

First up - yes, you can use both Todo and Toodledo on your iPhone both syncing with one Toodledo account. Just be aware that you should sync either app before closing it and going to use another or the website to make sure everything is up to date.

So If I am on my Touch, not near wifi, I should only work in either ToDo or Toodledo, not both, until I can get to somewhere where I can sync? That makes sense, but is too bad, since the darn Touch doesn't find wifi all that often on the way to work, which is mostly when I am organizing. Well, maybe I'll buy the iPhone sooner rather than later... since waiting for Verizon to get one isn't happening...

thanks again.

Wish there was just one or 2 more level besides folder, task, subtask
etanafinkler

Me again: so I am reading in the forum here: Todo App vs. Toodledo App. (iPhone)

Can I use both ToDo and Toodledo on my ipod Touch interchangeably? I have the pro Toodledo account. If I buy the Toodledo app, it seems I can switch back and forth from ToDo if I'm getting frustrated?? Don't know if that would help me get stuff where I want it and be able to see at a glance things for say "Thursday/today," but also things for the coming weekend..
etanafinkler

Posted Aug 01, 2010 in: Organizing and using a calendar
BOTTOM LINE:
Are there posts or areas here in this forum with examples of how people are organizing themselves using ToDo and Toodledo?

To continue from my projects post:

So then I take some of the tasks from the various projects I listed in my post about Project levels, and I move them to be done today. But there is no calendar to move them to.

At first I made up projects called Monday 7/19/10, Tues 7/20/10, etc, but that became ridiculous. Then I changed it to just Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. etc... but that was no better, since I can't have projects within projects, had to keep moving things I didn't do, and Oh, I have iCal, can't I be using that, but not... switching back and forth (copy/paste) from ToDo to iCal was really slow and tedious. So that didn't work.

Then I thought, well I'll have my projects and tasks in ToDo, but I'll still carry a paper spiral notebook with what to do today. That seems to be where I'm at now, but it's disappointing that I'm back to paper.

And I'm finding things are buried in my ToDo so I'm not seeing them, instead of having projects, and then I see what I have to do today.

I maybe have too many projects, but that's just how I am. I don't need multiple people, just mostly me. I don't need money tracking or really even time tracking.

I'll write again tomorrow, list my projects, so you can see..
well, here, this is what i have so far; projects (or are these lists?)
1. Hot potato (fast get it done now things
A list
B list
Creative
eBay selling
job
Health
Home
Investing
Power Leaks
Successes/Accomplishments
To be processed

So if these are the main lists, then under that I have a project, but then can't have a project within that, (only a task or a normal or a checklist) as I explained in my other thread.

So then things I didnt' do, or things from the projects started moving into my "A List," and it seemed they needed to move to a calendar. But it wasn't enough just to change the date on them. So that's when I moved them to my paper notebook...

I'm not really sure how to organize all this so that I'm not just spending time organizing, but have an easy way to see what might be important and time critical, important and not time critical, not very important but still urgent, and not very imp't, not urgent...

I have taken different time mgmt courses over the past years...

Are there posts or areas here in this forum with examples of how people are organizing themselves using ToDo and Toodledo?

Thanks, Etana
etanafinkler

I'm a new ToDo and Toodledo user, 2 weeks. I got a bit lost entering my info I have so many different projects and most of them need more than just one level under them. For example, my projects are:
Creativity
Home
Daily tasks,
Finances and investing

Under Home: I may have:
1. Tidy, clean
2. Garden
3. Home Renovation, I have
- Flooring
- Kitchen cabinets
- Countertop

and under each of these I'd like to have lists, such as:
I. Home
..A. Home Renovation
- ..1. Flooring
.......a. Pergo
....... 1) go to Home Depot
........2) find other discount stores
........3) ask Denise about where she went

So it seems I don't have more than just the one project level and under that the one task or normal or checklist. I think I'd like to get projects within projects but can ToDo/Toodledo do that? Is there something I'm missing?

thanks, Etaa