Toodledo Blog: News, Updates and Changes
|Dec 30, 2016||
Toodledo 2016 - The Year in ReviewDec 30, 2016 Happy New Years from Toodledo!
One of our goals for 2016 was to finish our work to make the entire website work elegantly across all platforms, regardless of screen size and capabilities. Everything except for the Tasks section has been completed, and the Tasks section is currently in the final stage of beta testing, so we are very very close to having this goal completed.
Here is an abridged list of some of the amazing things that we accomplished this year:
For the old Tasks section we made these small changes:
+ Speed up of the initial loading of the Tasks section
+ Improved IFTTT integration
+ Fixed a number of small bugs.
For the new Tasks section:
We spent most of the year working on this. There are too many things that we did here to list, so I'll just link to our Roadmap. This new Tasks section is currently in Beta Testing and will be released soon. We worked really really hard on this. Please read our Roadmap post to get a better idea of what our goals are for this impending redesign.
+ Totally redesigned from the ground up to be responsive, streamlined and faster.
iOS app (link)
+ Fixed bug with iPad Pro
+ Fixed some iOS 10 bugs
+ Made really good progress towards a total rewrite of the iOS app from the ground up to be really awesome.
Android App (link)
+ Saved Search added!
+ Location alarms can have a custom ringtone
+ Added icons for data below task in list
+ Archived folders will be hidden now
+ Updated Toodledo to be compatible with Android 7 (Nougat)
+ Plus several dozen important bug fixes and small improvements
+ We redesigned our homepage to better communicate the benefits of Toodledo to prospective new customers and to make the page load faster so that you can sign-in quicker and get to your tasks.
+ Security Improvements by enabling SSL by default and making several other important changes.
+ Recorded new tutorial videos for our help section that reflect our new design and help explain the key parts of Toodledo better.
+ In our help section, we wrote some new articles and updated others to be more informative. For example: http://www.toodledo.com/info/gtd.php
+ We also created some helpful infographics to help people learn different ways to use Toodledo. Example: http://www.toodledo.com/info/gtd-infographic.php
We were able to maintain an uptime record of 99.94% for the year, with only 5hrs of total downtime.
All of the above is just the highlights. We made hundreds of other smaller improvements and fixes across all aspects of our product.
In 2017, our goal is to finish our redesign of the Tasks section on the web and finish our redesign of the iOS app.
We appreciate all the support and suggestions that we have received from everyone. We are continuing to make Toodledo the best productivity tool on the internet. Thanks to everyone for making Toodledo a success.
Happy New Year!
PS. Please use promo code "newyear17" at checkout to get 10% off a subscription or renewal for you and your friends.
|Oct 11, 2016||
Android App Update v6.0.2Oct 11, 2016 Today we have released a free update to our Android app with the following bug fixes:
+ Fixed a bug where Alarms were not consistent
+ Fixed a bug with using the up/down arrow keys
+ Fixed a bug with New Zealand timezone
+ Fixed some bugs with the widget forgetting what state it is in
+ Fixed a bug where if you were editing a task and then closed the app without saving, those changes could be lost
+ Updated Toodledo to be compatible with Android 7
+ Fixed a bug where links inside notes could not be clicked
+ Fixed a signin bug
+ Improved location alarms
|Sep 14, 2016||
Track you time with Toggl and ToodledoSep 14, 2016 Do you need to keep track of the time you spend on your projects and use it to make a timesheet? It's now possible to do this with Toggl. Toggl is a simple online timer with a powerful timesheet calculator. It integrates with Toodledo so you can manage your tasks and time in one place.
You can learn more in our Tools section here: https://www.toodledo.com/tools/toggl.php
|Sep 6, 2016||
Improved IFTTT integration for ToodledoSep 6, 2016 If you haven't used Toodledo with IFTTT yet, today we made it even easier to get started. We've created a new streamlined way to setup the most popular recipes to help you automate and connect Toodledo with other services, like Google Calendar, or Email.
If you don't see the recipe that you want on the above page, you can easily make your own. IFTTT allows you to connect Toodledo with hundreds of popular 3rd party services.
|May 17, 2016||
Toodledo Roadmap UpdateMay 17, 2016 We've been a little quiet for the last few months, so I wanted to give you all an update about what we’re doing. We haven't stopped working, thats for sure. If you've been reading our forums for a while, you'll know that we've spent the last 18 months redesigning our website to have a more modern look, to be more efficient, and to work equally well at any screen size (desktop, tablet and phone). We’ve finished this for Notes, Lists, Outlines, Habits, the Homepage, the Forums, and all the miscellaneous tools, help and settings pages that we provide (over 200 individual pages)!
For the Tasks section, we have made good progress towards our goals already, as you can see, but we have more work to do. We first built the Tasks section over 12 years ago, and while we’ve upgrade the technology behind it several times, there are still parts of it that are running on 12 year old software. In order to achieve all of our goals for the Tasks section we need to rewrite a big chunk of it using modern software tools. This is a big project, but it allows us get rid of the digital cobwebs and it will allow us to innovate faster in the future.
Some of the key benefits that will come from all this work.
1) Offline mode. Tasks will work in a web browser even if you don’t have an internet connection.
2) Faster. Currently, whenever you view a new list, change a filter or adjust the sorting, it must ask the server for the new list. This can take a few seconds, especially on slow internet connections with large lists. Using the newer technology, all interactions will be nearly instantaneous.
3) More Secure. After we finish this work, it will be possible for us to encrypt your tasks inside our database, so even if a hacker is able to get access to our database, all of your information will be encrypted.
4) Responsive. This means that the same webpage will work perfectly regardless of the size of the window. So if you are using a desktop browser or a tiny phone, the Tasks section will adjust itself automatically to work efficiently. No more pinching and zooming.
5) The same code will run on the web and on iOS and Android. We are using a new technology called React which allows us to reuse a significant amount of our code between the website and the native apps. This is really important because it allows us to keep our apps up to date and in feature-parity with our website. Previously, when we wanted to add a new feature, we had to build it 3 separate times (web, ios, android). This is why some features from our website are still missing from our apps - we just don’t have the resources to build everything three times. When we are done with this project, the apps and the website will all have the same features. When we make an improvement, it will be available everywhere, at the same time, because we will only have to build it once. 3x productivity boost!
For the past 3 months we have been working really hard on this and we are making great progress. We already have most of the new Task section working in read-only mode. The next step is to enable editing and adding of tasks.
We are very excited about this, and we hope you are too. Its going to take some time for us to finish, so things are going to continue to be relatively quiet around here for awhile. So, please don’t take our lack of updates as evidence that we are slacking off. We’ve got some really great things planned for the Tasks section of Toodledo.
|Apr 19, 2016||
Security Improvement (SSL by Default)Apr 19, 2016 To improve security for everyone, today we are making SSL connections the default behavior. From now on, after signing in, you will remain connected to Toodledo over an encrypted connection (https instead of http in the URL).
If you do not want to use an encrypted connection you can manually edit the URL and change it back to http. However, we have plans to serve Toodledo exclusively over SSL in the future so this will not work forever. If there is some reason why you cannot use an SSL connection, please let us know.
If you want to further secure your account, please go into your account settings and enable the "Encryption" setting. This will force your login to remain encrypted at all times, even if you attempt to edit the URL or click a link to Toodledo with http instead of https in the URL.
|Apr 15, 2016||
Android App Update v5.9.3Apr 15, 2016 Today we have released a free update to our Android app with the following bug fixes:
+ Fixed a bug where sharing an image with Toodledo would cause Toodledo to crash
+ Fixed a bug where Google Now "Note to Self" used with Toodledo was causing duplicates
+ Fixed a bug where editing a subtask was causing duplicates
+ Fixed a bug where editing a task note and then tapping to edit another field without saving the note was causing the note changes to be lost.
+ Lists, Outlines and Habits updated with a number of small bug fixes
|Apr 13, 2016||
Releasing New Notes SectionApr 13, 2016 About a month ago we released a preview of the new Notes section. During this month we have received a lot of great feedback! We fixed a few things, changed a few things and improved a few things and now its ready to go.
Please read our original announcement for an explanation of everything that is new and improved.
If you are still having difficulty getting used to the new Notes section, please let us know and we'll continue to refine it. For a limited amount of time you can still access the old Notes section here but this will eventually redirect you to the new Notes section.
|Mar 17, 2016||
Preview of New Notes SectionMar 17, 2016 Today we are turning on a preview of our new Notes section. Toodledo Notes has been completely rewritten from the ground up with a number of improvements.
Preview it here: notes.toodledo.com
During the preview, the old Notes section will still be the default, but you can choose to switch to the new version and use it whenever you want.
1) The Notes section is now responsive, which means that it works regardless of the size of your screen. So, if you use Notes from your phone's web browser, it will work great without needing to pinch and zoom. If you are using Toodledo on a desktop computer, you can make the browser skinny and keep a note on the side of your screen for reference.
2) We have streamlined the interface which has given us the ability to use more of the screen for displaying your note, the thing that matters. And you an collapse the sidebar to get a full screen view of you note.
3) Search has been improved. When you do a search, it will more quickly find all the matching notes, and even highlight the matching words that it found inside the note.
4) When you want to edit a Note, you no longer need to click an "Edit" button to begin. Now, you just click the note and it will automatically enter edit mode with the cursor at the location that you clicked. The "Save" and "Cancel" buttons are in the same place, but look a little different. The "Insert Timestamp" button has been moved from the bottom of the note to the top.
5) Moving a Note to a different folder is a little different now. To do it, click the folder icon at the top of the note to reveal the "Info Drawer". Then click the current folder and a menu will appear to select another folder. This may seem a little cumbersome right now, but it will make more sense in the future when a Note can have other attributes, such as tags. Also, it matches how Lists and Outlines work, so it will be familiar if you use those sections.
6) The toolbar has been cleaned up and rearranged a bit. The sort button is in roughly the same place. The print and delete buttons have been moved to the Action menu on the right side. The search bar has been moved to the top of the page and turned into a search button (magnifying glass icon). The "Collapse All Dividers" button has been removed, but the functionality still exists in a different form. Now, if you double click any of the dividers, they will all close or open.
7) The "Recently Added" and "Recently Modified" shortcuts have been removed. The new way to find your recent notes is to sort your notes by date. For example, if you want to view your recently modified notes, you would sort by "date modified" and your recent ones will be at the top. This new method takes 1 extra click, but this sacrifice in speed allowed us to make viewing your "all notes" list 1 click faster, as well as simplifying the page to give more area to the note. So, we feel that this is a worthwhile compromise. Our beta testers didn't seem to mind, so hopefully this will be ok. We'll see in the comments.
8) We added a "Duplicate Note" feature so you can quickly make a copy of a note.
9) We've improved the keyboard shortcuts for those people who like to use them to be more efficient.
10) Printing has been improved
11) All this work lays the foundation for future improvements that people have been asking for. For example: Rich text formatting, sharing notes, encryption of data, offline support and more.
We've been testing this for several weeks with our alpha and beta testers and we've gotten a lot of positive feedback. We think that we've fixed all the bugs, but there is probably something that we've missed, so we'll be monitoring the forums and tickets carefully and fixing bugs quickly as they are discovered. Please let us know what you think.
|Mar 1, 2016||
Introducing our new HomepageMar 1, 2016 Today we are releasing our newly redesigned homepage. This is what visitors see before they create an account and what you see before you sign in. We had three goals for this new front page.
1) Better communicate the benefits of Toodledo to prospective new customers.
2) Explain the key features of Toodledo to returning customers so that they can learn how to use Toodledo to it's full capacity.
3) Make the page load faster so that you can sign-in quicker and get to your tasks.
Please let us know what you think.
Older items have been removed for brevity.