Toodledo Blog: News, Updates and Changes
|Sep 17, 2014||Toodledo iOS8 Update + Sharing + Outlines|
Our iOS app has been updated for compatibility with iOS8. But, we didn't stop there. This update also includes:
* Outlines Section - Full support for Toodledo's Outlines section in the app.
* Sharing Tasks - Support for creating shared tasks from within the app.
You can download version 3.2.6 now from the iTunes App Store.
If Toodledo helps you be more productive, please consider giving us a rating/review in the iTunes App Store. Even if you have rated us before, you can rate us again with each new update that we release. It really does help us to have good ratings.
|Sep 16, 2014||Toodledo Redesign Phase 1|
Today we are releasing our new redesigned homepage. This is what you will see when you are signing into Toodledo, and what new users will see before they decide to create an account.
The new homepage was designed to have a more modern look and feel and to better communicate Toodledo's advantages to prospective customers.
We have kept the signin button in the same location so it shouldn't be a disruption for existing users, but otherwise it has been totally changed. Since people new to Toodledo don't have any expectations of how the homepage is supposed to function, we felt that it was safe to replace everything in one fell swoop. When it comes to redesigning the internal parts of Toodledo we will be more conservative to avoid disrupting your productivity by making the site less familiar.
Some of the key concepts that we were going for with the new home page were:
This means that the page reformats itself appropriately regardless of the size of your screen. Don't you hate it when you go to a webpage on your phone and the text is too small to read and you have to pinch and zoom and scroll to see anything? That's what our old website was like. Tedious! Our new homepage looks just as good on a phone or tablet as it does on a full-sized monitor. This is how the web should work and is the direction that we are going with Toodledo. Eventually, you'll be able to use our entire website from a phone sized screen without a compromised experience.
**Equal Weight Sections**
Our old homepage only talked about Tasks; as far as new users knew, Toodledo was just a to-do list. But as you know, we are so much more than that now! Our new homepage gives equal weight to all four Toodledo sections: Tasks, Notes, Lists and Outlines and provides more information about how Toodledo functions as a complete productivity tool.
**More Information, Less Text**
Our old homepage had a lot to read, and a website typically only has a few seconds to capture the attention of a new users, so we decided to make our new homepage more visual. There is actually much more information about each Toodledo feature, but it's now on-demand, so when you click on a feature that interests you, an explanation will be provided at that time. We've also added several tutorial videos that explain how Toodledo works in a visual way, so users don't have to do a lot of reading if they don't want to.
We have refined the colors, typography, buttons, icons, boxes and other elements of the site to make them cleaner and more cohesive. In the coming weeks and months you'll see these elements trickle down into the internal pages of Toodledo as we move onto the next phases of our site redesign.
Hope you like it!
|Jul 25, 2014||Search/Filter within a List's rows|
We have released a new update today for the Lists section. It is now possible to search a list for a particular value in one of the columns.
To activate this feature, click on the heading for the column that you want to search in. Then in the "filter" box you can type in some text and Toodledo will find the rows that match that search. You can even search on multiple columns at the same time.
Currently, text and number columns are supported with simple searches. In the future we will extend this to allow searching on dates and numbers by ranges and other advanced search criteria.
|Jun 30, 2014||Toodledo is now on Zapier!|
Zapier is an web automation tool. With Zapier you can build Zaps which can automate parts of your business or life. A Zap is a blueprint for a task you want to do over and over. In words, a Zap looks like this: "When I get a new thing in A, do this other thing in B." The first part is the Trigger and the second part is the Action.
Some examples of how to use this with Toodledo include:
1) When I complete a task in Toodledo in a certain folder, email my boss.
2) Add tasks with a due-date to my Google Calendar.
There are hundreds of apps supported by Zapier, so use your imagination and go wild.
|Jun 17, 2014||List and Outline Collaboration|
Today we are releasing collaboration for the Lists and Outlines sections. This will open up a whole new way to share information with your co-workers, friends and family.
This is available today for all Subscribers. To setup, first select "Collaboration" from the "Tools" menu. Then select someone and click the checkboxes to give them permission to share with you. Now, when they are viewing a List or Outline, they can share it with you by clicking the sharing icon in the top right corner.
Here are some ideas on how to use this new feature:
* Share a grocery list with your spouse
* Maintain a shared list of business leads with your coworkers
* Share your favorite recipes with your family
* Share your business goals with your development team
* Share your family tree/genealogy with your family
* Maintain a shared outline of test procedures for releasing a new product
* Share your class lecture notes with a friend from school
* Collaborate on a planning outline for a business report
We are working very hard to bring Outlines and Lists to our mobile applications so you can take this information with you on the go. Please be patient as we perfect the mobile experience. As always, we welcome feedback.
|May 16, 2014||Toodledo Android app with Tablet support and more|
Our Android App has received a big update today.
* Tablets now have a side by side view of your tasks to more efficiently use the larger screens.
* Added the ability to search and sort in the Notes section.
* Added badges to each view to show the number of tasks inside.
* Start Date is now a choice to display in the "meta information" below your task.
* Added in-app documentation
* Added an about page with Backer's names. Thanks!
* Fixed bugs with daylight savings time and timezones causing times to be off by an hour
* Fixed various other bugs
|May 15, 2014||New IFTTT triggers for Toodledo|
We have some new IFTTT triggers that are being released today.
1) Tasks added with a context
2) Tasks completed with a context
3) Tasks completed with a tag
4) Tasks completed in a folder
You can use these new triggers to automate your life in interesting ways. For example, whenever you complete a task in a specific folder you can have it email your boss with a status update.
|Apr 29, 2014||2-Step Authentication and other security enhancements|
Today we are announcing 2-Step authentication for Toodledo, which is a way to greatly increase the security of your account by requiring your password plus a one-time code that is generate on your phone. A hacker would need to physically have your phone in order to sign into your account. You can enable this in your account settings.
We have also been working on other security enhancements this year, including the following:
1) You may have heard about the Heartbleed vulnerability a few weeks ago. When it was revealed, we immediately checked all of our servers and determined that we were never affected by Heartbleed, so no action by us was necessary and no action is needed for our customers. That said, it is always a good idea to change your passwords on a periodic basis, and to avoid reusing the same password on multiple sites.
2) Over the last 6 months we have spent a considerable amount of effort implementing "at rest data encryption". This means that your data is encrypted in our database on our servers. So if a hacker ever got access to our database, they would just see gibberish and would not have access to your private data. Much of our user's data is now encrypted in this way and we plan to encrypt more as we are able.
3) We have implemented password guess throttling. If someone tries to sign into your account too many times with an incorrect password, your account will be locked for a period of time. This is to prevent a hacker from trying a million different passwords to sign into an account.
4) We have implemented some protections against clickjacking, cross-site-scripting and cross-site-request-forgery attacks.
|Apr 23, 2014||Mac App Updated|
We have updated our Mac App today to support copy and paste inside the app as well as fixing a few other little bugs. We have also gotten the App into the Apple App Store, so you can easily install it from there if you wish.
|Apr 10, 2014||Update: Sort Individual Lists Uniquely|
Today we are releasing a small setting that should make some people very happy. It is now possible to save the sort criteria for individual lists instead of individual views. For example, you can now have each saved search sorted by it's own criteria instead of having all saved searches use the global sort setting.
To enable, go into your account settings and choose the "Behavior Preferences" option. Under this you'll want to enable "Save sort preferences on a per-list basis" and then press "Save".
Once you do this, you will be able to sort each list and Toodledo will remember the settings individually. If you prefer the current default behavior where each view (Main, Folder, Search, etc) has it's own global sort setting, then you don't need to do anything.
|Mar 4, 2014||Work Hours Tool does more holidays|
Toodledo has a tool that will show you the number of hours you have left to work this year, month, week and day. Today we have updated it to include international holidays, so if you are using Toodledo from outside the USA, you can now get more accurate results.
|Feb 28, 2014||Translating Toodledo into other languages|
Our iOS app and Mobile Website have already been translated into 8 different languages and counting. Today we have begun to translate our main website into other languages as well. The first step is a Spanish translation for the Outlines section. You can set your preferred language in your account settings. Over the coming months we will be adding more languages and translating other parts of our website.
You can help! If you are bilingual, please visit our Translation page and give us a hand: http://www.toodledo.com/translate/index.php
|Feb 11, 2014||Android App Crowdfunding Project|
Dear Toodledo Users,
An official Android app for Toodledo has been at the top of our to-do list for a long time. You may be aware that we recently acquired an existing Android App, which is going to provide the foundation for building an awesome Toodledo experience on Android in the future.
Now we need your help. Toodledo is a small company with limited resources, so we have started a Backer Campaign to help raise money to support the future improvement of the Android App. Given the chance, we will hire an Android developer to take over the project and add all of the functionality that you expect from Toodledo.
If you are an Android user and want the best experience from Toodledo, please check out our crowdfunding campaign. We have some nice rewards to share with you for making a pledge. Please help us spread the word and meet our goals.
|Jan 30, 2014||Bitcoin as payment option|
Toodledo now accepts Bitcoin as a payment option when purchasing or renewing your Subscription. This makes Toodledo the first productivity tool (that we know of) to accept Bitcoin.
|Jan 27, 2014||Toodledo Android App|
One of our most frequent requests is for an official Android app for Toodledo. We are definitely late to the party and have struggled with this for some time.
The solution that we had been working on was to leverage our web expertise to develop an excellent mobile website that works offline in any web browser. We were then going to put this inside of a native Android app, making what's called a hybrid app. We were progressing on this path.
Then we became aware of an excellent native Android app named "MyToodle", developed by Phuah Yee Keat in his spare time. We started a conversation with him and worked out an agreement in which Toodledo will be acquiring and taking over full-time development of the project. He will remain on for a short time to help us transition the app. Meanwhile we will be redoubling our efforts to hire an Android developer to take over the project full time.
We have big plans for this app! Over the next months we'll be rebranding it and improving it's integration with Toodledo. Then we'll continue to add features to eventually bring it in parity with our iOS app. We encourage you to check out the app here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Toodledo
Please send us feedback and feature requests through these forums or our support tickets.
And a special thanks to Phuah Yee Keat for his excellent work over the last year to make this possible.
|Dec 24, 2013||Toodledo 2013 - The Year in Review|
Happy Holidays from Toodledo!
2013 was an exciting year for Toodledo. We started the year as one of the most popular online to-do lists and we expanded our services to provide a more complete set of productivity tools to our customers, and in the process turned Toodledo into one of the top overall productivity tools available.
Here is a list of the amazing things that we accomplished this year:
We were able to maintain an uptime record of 99.999% for the year, with only 5 minutes of unscheduled downtime. See Pingdom for more info.
We added an entire new section to Toodledo called Outlines. An Outline is a place for you to organize projects, take notes and store other hierarchical information. You can use an Outline to brainstorm, organize your homework, plan a business report, or break a project down into smaller pieces. It supports unlimited levels of hierarchy, so you can use an Outline to break projects down into subtasks and sub-subtasks and sub-sub-subtasks if you want. You can attach Outlines to any task and soon, you'll be able to access these Outlines in our iOS app.
Another entirely new section for Toodledo called Lists. This new section is a place for you to make customizable lists for specific purposes. Use it like a spreadsheet or use it to create packing lists, dieting logs, or an address book. Make a list to remember your favorite restaurants, or keep an inventory of your coin collection. For each list, you can customize the number and type of columns, with more than 20 different column types to choose from: text, number, date, rating, price, etc. You can attach Lists to any task and it will also be coming soon to our iOS app.
1) File attachments saw a significant upgrade with the ability to upload files from your desktop as well as Dropbox, Facebook, Google Drive, Gmail and more. In addition to files, you can now attach Notes, Outlines, and Lists to any task for quick reference.
2) IFTTT - If you are not familiar with IFTTT, it lets you create powerful connections between services with one simple statement: "if this then that". With the Toodledo Channel at IFTTT, you can automate and integrate Toodledo into many different 3rd party services.
3) We created the Work Hours Left tool. This tool will show you the number of work hours left in the day, week, month and year so that you can see how much time you have left to be productive. It is customizable for your work schedule.
4) We added the ability to undelete tasks that were accidentally deleted.
5) We enhanced alarms with a more intuitive interface and with the ability to get alarms in your web browser and via a webhook.
6) We added a setting to automatically unstar a task when you complete it, which can be useful for people who use the star to mark tasks that they want to work on today.
7) Toodledo now has a Mac application that will provide quick access to your to-do list from your Mac's menu bar.
8) We created a number of tutorial videos to help you learn how to use Toodledo's advanced features.
9) We redesigned our subscription page and now support direct credit card payments in addition to PayPal, and we added a Platinum subscription level with increased storage and enhanced support.
iOS app (link)
1) We completed the redesign of our iOS app to improve the look and feel and improve usability. There are too many things in the redesign to mention here, please read the complete announcement for details.
2) Building on the redesign from the beginning of the year, we transformed it again for the iOS 7 release towards the end of the year. Toodledo is now an iOS7 optimized app.
2) We added "Saved Search" to the iOS app so you can now view all of your custom task lists. This was one of our top requests for the app, so we are happy that we were able to deliver.
3) We added Facebook integration so you can share any task on Facebook to let your friends know what you are doing.
4) We added the ability to duplicate Notes.
In addition to above, we fixed a number of bugs and smaller improvements across all of our products.
We appreciate all the support and suggestions that we have received from everyone. We are continuing to make Toodledo the best productivity tool on the internet, and we have big plans for 2014 and beyond. Thanks to everyone for making Toodledo a success.
Happy New Year!
PS. Please use promo code "holiday13" at checkout to get 10% off a subscription or renewal for you and your friends.
|Dec 19, 2013||Toodledo Channel for IFTTT|
Today we are announcing a Toodledo Channel for IFTTT.com.
If you are not familiar with IFTTT, it lets you create powerful connections between services with one simple statement: "if this then that". With the Toodledo Channel at IFTTT, you can automate and integrate Toodledo into many different 3rd party services.
For example, you can create a Recipe to automatically add a task to your to-do list to bring an umbrella to work if it is going to rain tomorrow. Or, you can create a Recipe to automatically email you a copy of each task that you complete.
There are over 70 different Channels at IFTTT that you can integrate and automate with Toodledo. Put the internet to work for you!
|Dec 2, 2013||Do.com Importer|
Since Do.com is shutting their doors, we have built a way to quickly import your data from Do.com into Toodledo.com so you can keep working on your to-do list without any downtime.
Just export your data from Do.com following their directions and then import the resulting .json file using the importer in our Tools section. Here is the direct link:
Please share with your friends or colleagues who may be using Do.com.
|Nov 29, 2013||Black Friday Sale at Toodledo.com|
Toodledo can help you get organized for the holidays.
Use promocode "blackfriday" to get 20% off a Toodledo subscription. Share this code with your friends using our Referral program and get yourself a free 3 month extension to your subscription as well!
|Oct 21, 2013||Enhanced Alarms|
We have just redesigned our Alarms & Reminders page to be easier to use, and we have added two new ways for you to receive alarms for tasks that are due soon.
Browser based alarms
When a task is due and the alarm goes off, a popup message will appear on your desktop or in your web browser. For this to work, your web browser must be open with Toodledo.com in one of the tabs, however it does not need to be the active tab. In the future, when supported by your OS, the browser will not need to be open.
A webhook is a way for another website or service to get notified when an alarm goes off. To take advantage of this, it requires a little technical knowledge but it is a powerful way to extend Toodledo's alarm functionality in ways that we haven't imagined. This is also a way for 3rd party apps to receive remote alarms.
|Oct 2, 2013||Workhours Left in be Productive|
We have made a little tool that some people may find useful for planning your time. This tool will show you the number of work hours left in the day, week, month and year so that you can see how much time you have left to be productive. It is customizable for your work schedule. Do you know how many hours you have left to work this year?
If you give time estimates to tasks, you can use this tool to help you schedule tasks effectively and not make the mistake of over-scheduling yourself. For example, there are only 166 work hours left in October (at the time of this post, assuming 8 hours worked per weekday and standard US holidays). Given this, it would be foolish and ultimately discouraging to schedule 200hrs of work for this month.
I have personally been using this tool for about a month to plan my weeks, and it has been a big help with prioritization.
This tool is available in the "Tools" section under the "More..." option. Here is the direct link:
|Sep 30, 2013||Undelete Tasks|
We have added the ability to undelete tasks that were accidentally deleted, or that you deleted and then decide you want back. This feature is on the "Recently Deleted Tasks" page in your account settings.
Deleted tasks are kept for 1 month, to give you the opportunity to undelete them. After 1 month, deleted tasks are permanently removed from our records with no ability to recover them unless you maintain your own backups.