ForumsNewsMiscellaneous Updates: Outline improvements, un-star completed,

Miscellaneous Updates: Outline improvements, un-star completed,
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 12, 2013
Score: 0 Reference
This week we have implemented a variety of miscellaneous updates.

1) Outlines with links inside will now have clickable links.
2) Outline sorting/reordering of nodes is now greatly improved.
3) There is now an option in your account settings to automatically un-star a task when it is completed. If you use the star to mark urgent tasks, this can be a helpful way to have repeating tasks not be urgent after they are rescheduled.
4) The new file attachment feature now paginates the list of files, so if you have many files, it will no longer load painfully slowly.
5) We now offer a 14 day free trial of the Pro Plus subscription (previously it as 7 days of Pro).
6) We have updated our documentation and made a new video for our new file attachment feature

This message was edited Jul 12, 2013.
pjlewis

Score: 1 Reference
The change in (3) to auto-unstar is a big benefit to me and will enhance my workflow. Thank you Jake.
Chris

Agreed. I posted the following on Facebook, but I suppose it's more useful here, isn't it?

Very keen on the self-unstarring repeating tasks. Would love for this to be expanded so that you can set up "default" data for all the fields of a task so that if it's repeated (or cloned) it will adopt those instead of the data it ends up with upon completion before repetition. That would make completing and setting-up tasks a whole lot quicker for me! (Currently I use the note field to store this information and check everything before completing each task.)
DanH_2

Posted: Jul 15, 2013
I'll bite. Where's the option to un-star a repeating task when it is completed?
Salgud

In the settings screen under "behaviors"
Salgud

Thanks for the "unstar" feature. I've been asking for this one for years. Now I have to get out of the habit of unstarring repeating tasks myself.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Salgud, you can no longer say that I never add a feature that you request :)
sprouty76

Posted: Jul 18, 2013
The unstar on complete is an excellent idea, it opens up some much more streamlined ways of working with recurring tasks.

Not used them yet, but clicky links in outlines will be very useful too.
DanH_2

Posted: Jul 18, 2013
Score: 1 Reference
Un-star of the next iteration of a repeating task is an excellent feature. I do wish it wouldn't also un-star the completed item. I like to be able to see that I've completed a high-priority task!

Also I wish the setting were part of the repeat dialog for each item, rather than global. Some repeating items (pay quarterly taxes) are high priority as soon as they become current, but others are not.

Thanks for all your improvements!
sprouty76

Posted: Jul 19, 2013
I tend to use it to highlight recurring tasks that I am planning to act on that day. Starring them allows me to quickly find & see them regardless of what device / app I'm using.

My old way was to create a new parent task to group them, then create copies of the recurring tasks I was planning to do, move them under the parent task and mark the recurring one as completed, which is rather cumbersome.

I'd say if a recurring task is always high priority, simply mark it as a higher priority in the first place?
shelbyp

Posted by DanH:

Also I wish the setting were part of the repeat dialog for each item, rather than global. Some repeating items (pay quarterly taxes) are high priority as soon as they become current, but others are not.

I have also started using the star, but I do think a generalization is needed. I mentioned in another post that the repeating needs a way to store the state of a task when it is created , the star feature does this only for the star.

I think a nice generalization would be to have an attribute "RepeatState" which we could click which would store that state as the way the task will be repeated. This would be really useful for subtasks which are within a parent task. It would solve both the issues with setting all attributes which are likely to change including the star, but most importantly when the subtask is marked completed it would still reappear in an uncompleted state when the parent repeats, which for me (and surely others) would be very useful.

That said, the unstar feature helps a lot since it solves a common use case!

This message was edited Jul 19, 2013.
Jason Bushell

Since everyone uses Stars in various different ways, then its difficult to cater for everyone.

I guess this could be solved to some degree by user-defined fields?

That seems like it would be the next big thing to take TD to a new level.
michaelkamen

Posted: Jul 20, 2013
Would be very helpful to have a "subtask to outline" feature. This would take a task and all it's subtasks and copy (or just convert) them to Outlines as a hierarchical list. This would be especially useful as we transition to Outlines from other less effective ways we have made use of subtasks previously.
siddhimn

Posted: Aug 01, 2013
I have been using Toodledo for long time now disowning many other to do apps. It's flexibility to change it as per one's requirement is one of it's best feature. However, I do have a feature request...Would it be possible to have a total of task length time, when length field is used, in the group heading along with the total number of task in the group, specially in the ios apps? This would really be helpful to see the amount of time required to complete all the tasks within the group, which I feel would make budgeting one's time a lot easier.
Thanks...
robmutsaars

Posted: Aug 01, 2013
Thanks for the "unstar" feature. I noticed that i undeed 'unstar' manually before i complete a (starred) recurring task, so very usefull to automate this. Thanks !
shelbyp

Posted: Oct 10, 2013
There is a small outlines bug:

After deleting the selected item, two elements are highlighted: the element after the deleted element and the fist element on the top of the outline page.

This is reproduceable on Chrome. The one at the top is the "active" one, but this is confusing since we were staring at the area where we just deleted an item, and the following item is also highlighted.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 10, 2013
Thanks for the bug report. We will investigate.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.