ForumsNewsIntroducing the Ribbon

Introducing the Ribbon
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 25, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
@Xavanil It is possible to save the sort as part of a saved search. You need to enable this option in your account settings under "Behavior Preferences"
c5000nc

Since you didn't increase our ability to make the Task column wider, I'm not sure what was gained by being able to collapse the sidebar. You said it was to make more screen space available for tasks, but that isn't really so.

As such, depending on how many columns there are, there is now empty, useless screen space with the sidebar collapsed. It would be hugely helpful if we could make the Task column wider that before, to see more of the full Task verbiage.

I understand how to do that with the Multiline format, but that is inconvenient if one wants to change a column entry. The Grid format with a wider Task column is the better solution.

Thanks.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Better column resizing is coming in a future update.
c5000nc

Thanks Jake.
c5000nc

Another issue with column and font resizing in the tasks section: With the larger font, less verbiage shows up, regardless the column.

And, even when all the columns show fully, there is still space to the right that forces one to use the bottom scroll bar to see the side scroll bar. The solution is to collapse the sidebar. But we can no longer see the sidebar and right scroll bar (thus eliminating the bottom scroll bar) without leaving a lot of white space to the right.

Thanks.
Manuel Reidel

Score: 1 Reference
Good change kudos! If ribbon can collapse back just clicking any of the icons it would be easier.
Thanks, Manuel.
Jason Vogel

Great upgrade! I would recommend to continue to focus improving the UX/Workflow side of the tool.

This message was edited Aug 25, 2015.
cantorbuckner

Score: 2 Reference
Just want to say thank you for the good work your team is doing. I like the changes and just renewed my Gold subscription.
aturaten.ds

I would greatly recommend having a legacy navigation comparable to the old one/exactly like the old one. I have many clients who are not happy right now. Among other things, the use of icons is bewildering. At *least* give the option to have text labels.
thepaj

Score: 4 Reference
Ok, so I'm the only one who is disappointed. I really liked the earlier feature that totally scrolled the "left menu" out of the way and displayed it again on mouse rollover. The ribbon requires more clicks to change view and also a click to get it out of the way again. I usually don't complain but this is annoying me. Can you please at least fix an auto-collapse function so the menu (and preferably the ribbon too) gets out of the way after clicking a menu item or on mouse roll-off.

But I like the vertical scrolling. That is an improvement.
creinhard

Posted by thepaj:
Ok, so I'm the only one who is disappointed. I really liked the earlier feature that totally scrolled the "left menu" out of the way and displayed it again on mouse rollover. The ribbon requires more clicks to change view and also a click to get it out of the way again. I usually don't complain but this is annoying me.

+1

It seems that now I've actually lost a little real estate when viewing my lists ...

And I'm not totally down with all these icons yet either ...

Chris

c5000nc

Yes, we have lost usable real estate with this change.

I have about 30% less Task verbiage available to me at a glance if I want to use TD optimally by keeping the left sidebar visible, and not having to use the bottom scroll bar to get to the right scroll bar.

This is because I have to keep about 3/4" of wasted space to the right to avoid the bottom scroll bar, and because the font was made arbitrarily larger with no ability to adjust it smaller.

This is a significant degradation of ToodleDo as a productivity tool.

I'm really not that interested in waiting some unknown number of months for ToodleDo to work on column resizing "in a future update" to fix a problem they just created. It is very disappointing to lose functionality for a cleaner interface.

Thank you.
c5000nc

And yes, I could make the Task column wider if I close the left sidebar, but I use that sidebar frequently. A wider Task column would force me to use the bottom scroll bar to get to the right scroll bar.
Thanks.
creinhard

Posted by c5000nc:
Yes, we have lost usable real estate with this change.

...and we've gained a visual interference with the unmoving/unhideable icons.. I've fixed the problem by putting a piece of masking tape on the left side of my monitor to hide the new icons. Seriously.

I've been dreading these kinds of "improvements"... not happy..

Chris

Jake

Toodledo Founder
The maximum size of the columns has been greatly increased, so you can now make your task columns wider to take advantage of all the extra space you have now with the collapsible sidebar.
AgentCunningham

LOVE IT!!! So happy to see UI improvements that give the awesome functionality of Toodledo a look it so richly deserves! My only comment at this point would be that I would prefer your selected view to have a shaded background rather than just making the name of it bold. The bold text treatment is already used for high priority tasks so at first I thought the bold name meant there were some high priority tasks in that view. I didn't realize I was actually looking at that view! Thank you so much!!
c5000nc

Posted by Jake:
The maximum size of the columns has been greatly increased, so you can now make your task columns wider to take advantage of all the extra space you have now with the collapsible sidebar.

Thank you Jake!
SES21

I mostly like it but would like to see a few tweaks.

1. Please allow auto-expand/collapse on mouse-over/off like the prior view could be set. I worked hard to get my columns set just right so I wouldn't have to see a bottom scroll bar unless I had the left nav expanded & then I was focused more on it than the task list itself. The collapsed ribbon can stay visible on the left; I just don't want to have to do all this extra clicking to get things done.

2. Please consider putting the Calendar back at the bottom of the list. The other views, until you get to Search, are all possible task columns. Having those interrupted by Calendar is distracting. Rather than placing Calendar last like it was, heavy users might appreciate having Search remain at the very bottom so it's easier to spot.

3. Did you decrease the font size on the task counts in the ribbon? Or maybe the font color was changed? The counts are not as easy to read as they originally were (not the interim font size change last week). Maybe it's because they're not in the ovals any more. I don't know exactly but they aren't as clear as they had been.

PS. You forgot to mention the new K bubble in the lower right to expand/collapse KB shortcut hints.

PPS. Speaking of KB shortcuts, why doesn't "w" work to toggle dividers on Notes like it does on Tasks?

SES21

Odd behavior:

Notes does not seem to remember that the ribbon was collapsed when you navigate back to it but the other areas do.

When you click back onto Lists with the ribbon collapsed, there is this quick, almost jerky, expansion/contraction thing that happens & then it's all fine.
rschuhart

Posted by Jake:
@acc.mcpherson : If your browser window is too short (620 pixels tall) then it will scroll the entire page instead of just the task section. This compromise was made for usability reasons because on short windows, less of the percentage of the space is devoted to tasks, so we thought whole window scrolling was better in this edge case.

@rschuhart: Try adjusting your browser window font size before printing, or use the "zoom" or "fit to page" setting in the print preview window

Jake,

Thanks for the reply. I'd rather not adjust my browser settings or tweak with print settings just for TD. If this is the way it is going to stay, then I will adapt because I love the site.

I realize that any change in a UI breaks workflow for someone, somewhere, no matter what you do. I am just disappointed that the upgrades to the interface have come at the expense of functionality.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.