ForumsNewsTasks Redesign (part 5)

Tasks Redesign (part 5)
Joel Simpson

Posted: Nov 25, 2015
Score: 2 Reference
I've been using the platform for many years and love it, but do have one suggestion - the new change with the Search icon is fairly annoying. Now we have to click and then input our search term - versus just use the previously / easily available search box. Really not a fan of this new approach.
pawelkaleta

Score: 0 Reference
Posted by simpsonjoeld:
Now we have to click and then input our search term

I think before the change it used to work exatly the same way, first you had to click on Quick search box or use the keyboard shortcut, then do the text input. I can't see the difference which could be annoying here. Am I missing something?
mmghobri

Score: 1 Reference
These changes are fantastic, and the response to user feedback throughout the process is impressive.

One item to ask for in upcoming phases: custom columns that the user can populate manually similar to the existing 'tags' column (free typing, and cloud search, comma delineated, etc). What this would allow me to do is order my tasks manually through numerical priorities (essentially creating an infinite list of priorities, and letting me sort on that). Current priority column is too limiting, and closer due date does not always indicate higher priority, so the auto calculated 'importance' is not a valuable measure to me.

Currently, I'm using the length field to accomplish what I want, however would like to get back to using it for actual expected length. I do understand that this is more than a cosmetic change and requires database updates, but am hoping that this is included in the current and future update plans.

Much after that toodledo can benefit from displaying google calendar events in a toodledo calendar (which gets around google's calendar update time being once per day, etc)

Looking forward to the next sets of changes!

Mike

This message was edited Nov 25, 2015.
whodunnit13

I am THRILLED with the changes you are making. I was a heavy toodledo user two years ago, and then abandoned it because it seemed -- well, ugly -- and furthermore, I had to write out instructions for myself about how to use a variety of instructions that were non-intuitive and only rarely used but still important. This morning I see the new prominent Search bar and I am over the moon happy about that.

I will resume being a paid customer as a result. FABULOUS improvements, really on point. I'm so glad Toodledo finally got the software development expertise (or ability to further invest) that was lacking before. This is a truly great program now, whereas it felt like a frustrating "full of unrealized potential" option before.

Thank you!
NaomiR

Score: 3 Reference
I agree with much of the positive feedback above. It is especially exciting to be able to batch edit from any view!

However, there are still two features that I am sorely missing: 1) The ability to manually multi-select tasks for batch edit, and 2) the option to add tags instead of always performing a replace on the tag field in batch edit mode. As I have seen mentioned elsewhere in the forums, there are many times that I want to update a group of tasks that are not uniquely defined by any of the metadata in TD for those tasks.

For example, during my GTD weekly review, I batch add 40 tasks that were collected outside of TD in the last week and give them all several tags, including an Inbox tag. Once I have processed several tasks in the Inbox tag (adding notes, due dates, context, additional tags, etc.), I want to remove only the Inbox tag from 5 tasks. There is nothing about the TD metadata that uniquely identifies those 5 tasks; they all have different contexts, due dates, and goals and they aren't the only 5 tasks with the Next Action status and the Inbox tag (along with different additional tags). Therefore, I can't construct a search to find only those 5 tasks unless I look specifically for the 5 Task Names; and even then, there is no way to remove just one tag from all of them without altering the other tags assigned to each task.

Essentially, I want to be able to operate on task tags the same way I operate on labels in Gmail, where I can manually select several emails and add/remove labels to/from all of the selected emails without affecting any of the other labels assigned to those emails. I recognize one or both of these features are not simple to implement, but would like to know if either of them are in the plans for future improvements.

Overall, I am thrilled with how well TD supports the power user without obfuscating basic functionality. It is one of the few applications I have found that handles both simple and complex/advanced functionality well. I think it is the only tool I have used that I always come back to no matter what else in my productivity workflow changes.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We have plans to enable multi-select and tag adding instead of replacing for batch edit.
Martins Tasks

Posted by Projects with Martin:
I don't like the orange + for the "Quick add task"

Idea: Eliminate the orange round plus icon and write the "Add Quick Task" text in italic. That would be simple and clean - and enough.
max

Posted: Nov 26, 2015
Batch edit used to be available directly on screen; now that it can be used on any list, it can only be selected via the dropdown. I use it frequently so this adds a lot of keystrokes to my day. Anyway we can get it into the blank space to the left of the dropdown? There is a lot of space for it.

Thanks

Max

This message was edited Nov 26, 2015.
TheBrayingMule

When will the search include keywords within the Note ? Such feature already exists from a long time ago in iOS version. By default, it searchs Title + Note. It would be great to have similar feature on the web version.

This message was edited Nov 26, 2015.
alexandremrj_2

Hello Toodledo Team,

I just want to say:

Congratulations and a job well done. An impressive feat.

Alex
gnovelty

Thanks for continuing to make good changes!
melchizW

Posted: Nov 27, 2015
App is looking better all the time .
mlane5280

Posted: Nov 28, 2015
The new search feature is not an improvement.

New way: 1 .click on the magnifying glass to open the search field, 2. find the search field, 3. type your search, 4. then "x" out the search bar
Old way: 1. clicking in the search field, and 2. typing, and 3. "x"ing out the search all in the same two inches?

It doesn't fit in with efficiency people that use Toodledo are trying to build into their daily lives.

Thanks.
jeremiah.moss

Posted: Nov 29, 2015
I can now batch edit from anywhere . . . BIG HUG!
Olivir2015

Posted: Nov 30, 2015
Score: -1 Reference
Wrong. 1. click on the magnifying glass. 2. start typing immediately, as the cursor is automatically put into the search field.

Posted by mlane5280:
The new search feature is not an improvement.

New way: 1 .click on the magnifying glass to open the search field, 2. find the search field, 3. type your search, 4. then "x" out the search bar
Old way: 1. clicking in the search field, and 2. typing, and 3. "x"ing out the search all in the same two inches?

It doesn't fit in with efficiency people that use Toodledo are trying to build into their daily lives.

Thanks.
Salgud

Posted: Dec 01, 2015
Kudos to the TD team! The Batch Edit of any task list instead of just Saved Searches is the first long-requested significant addition to task management features in over 2 years! I'm very happy to see this as I've been hoping that you would turn your attention to task management once again. Please don't make us wait for 2 more years to see another!
main account (glo)

Posted: Dec 03, 2015
Score: -1 Reference
I'm loving all of the updates! I had a terrible gut reaction when I saw the quick search was hidden, but once I saw that it was still a one-click search, I was very relieved, and in practice it has been just fine.

I do wonder if there is any way to give more variety to the alarm dates? The options (days, one week, two weeks, one month) are very limited and I am constantly changing my tasks' due dates so I can get a reminder when I want. Perhaps you could break them apart so you're not reminded two weeks ahead of the due date, but choose a due date and then choose a reminder date? I also remember reading someone else's suggestion to be able to set several reminders for one task (one for three weeks out, a second for two weeks out, etc), which would be so helpful.

I've been using Toodledo for almost three years and it keeps getting better! Thank you!
clango

Posted: Dec 04, 2015
If I click the yellow round button "Quick add tasks" in Chrome it does not function. Do you know this?
pawelkaleta

Posted by clango:
If I click the yellow round button "Quick add tasks" in Chrome it does not function. Do you know this?

You should enter the task title inside the text field on the right to this button and hit enter.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We think it may be a little confusing that the bottom is on the left, implying that you need to click it first. We are going to be moving that round button to the right in the next update to indicate that you type in the task first and then click the button (or press return)
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.