ForumsNewsCustomizable reminders/alarms

Customizable reminders/alarms
replytoken

Posted: Jul 02, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Now that I have upgraded to a pro account :) , I plan to take advantage of the customizable alarms. I appreciate that we have some flexibility on choosing times, but was wondering if the 1 week limit is for technical reasons. Is it hard to program this feature to allow users toset their own period? I know that the old Palm OS allowed minutes/hours/days to be set between 1-99, and this was very handy. One week is certainly better than Apple's calandar alarm of two days, but sometimes a long lead time is important. Any thoughts?

--Ken
Jake

Toodledo Founder
For simplicity we decided to use fixed values instead of any random number. This makes it easier to implement. We chose 1 week as the max just because we figured it was far enough ahead. If there is demand for longer leadtimes, we could add more.

If you do need a reminder more than 1 week in advance right now, you might consider giving it an artificial due-date or creating a second task with the artificial due-date that will act as the reminder.
replytoken

Posted by Toodledo:
For simplicity we decided to use fixed values instead of any random number. This makes it easier to implement. We chose 1 week as the max just because we figured it was far enough ahead. If there is demand for longer leadtimes, we could add more.

If you do need a reminder more than 1 week in advance right now, you might consider giving it an artificial due-date or creating a second task with the artificial due-date that will act as the reminder.

Thank you for the prompt reply. This is one of the reasons that I was happy to upgrade to a Pro account. As implementation is important, I can respect the use of fixed values, although choice is always nice. If I had to request two additional values, I would ask for 2 weeks and one month.

Thanks,

--Ken
gtrobertson

Posted: Jul 17, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
Posted by Vin Thomas:
Like Proximo said, it would be nice to set it manually. Not necessarily a due date, but a reminder date.

A tickler would be good especially for delegation. If I delegate a task, I need to be reminded to follow up with that person long before the due date. Manually setting it for a date, time, or # of days from today would be best. Thanks guys! Once we have this I'm DEFINITELY buying the pro version.
Vin Thomas

Posted: Jul 17, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
Posted by gtrobertson:
A tickler would be good especially for delegation. If I delegate a task, I need to be reminded to follow up with that person long before the due date. Manually setting it for a date, time, or # of days from today would be best.

I was just thinking that. I have so many tasks that don't have a due-date or due-time but I have set one just to get the reminder. It would be great to have a "tickler" feature. This obviously fits well into the GTD system and would allow me to get reminders without having to set artificial dates.

Thanks!
replytoken

Posted: Jul 20, 2009
I have been using gopingme.com in conjunction with G-mail to set "free form" reminders. I can quickly create a reminder in e-mail and send it to gopingme. When the reminder is activated, a copy is sent to my G-mail account, and G-mail then forwards a copy to TD for me. So, my Inbox on TD is a place where I receive reminders from gopingme and from my google calendar (via G-mail). Yes, its a bit more work, but gopingme can hold alarms for quite some time into the future, and that is very handy at times.

--Ken
Vin Thomas

Posted: Jul 20, 2009
I have used gopingme.com as well, but I would love to see something like this integrated into Toodledo. Thanks for the tip.

This message was edited Jul 20, 2009.
Acustk

Posted: Jul 21, 2009
Posted by replytoken:
...my Inbox on TD is a place where I receive reminders from gopingme and from my google calendar (via G-mail).--Ken

Ken,

What do you mean by your inbox on TD? I'm interested in understanding where this goes in TD.

Thanks,

Les
jpropper

I use gopingme for this all day. I have gopingme as a home page tab on my browser and quickly move to it to set a reminder. You can send it to Toodledo (throughfiltered gmail for me, haven't figured how to confirm email to Toodledo), cell phone, email, wherever. I generally don't send to Toodledo because I don't see any reason.
replytoken

Posted by Acustk:
[quote]Posted by replytoken:

<DIV class=quote>...my Inbox on TD is a place where I receive reminders from gopingme and from my google calendar (via G-mail).--Ken
[/quote]

Ken,

What do you mean by your inbox on TD? I'm interested in understanding where this goes in TD.

Thanks,

Les[/quote]

Les,

I mispoke. My reminders from gopingme and google go to the folder entitled "No Folder". The concept is the same for me as I do not create tasks in TD without assigning them to a folder. So, by default, the "No Folder" becomes my "Inbox" for reminders generated outside of TD. In G-Mail, the reminders gather in my Inbox. Sorry for the confusion.

--Ken
replytoken

Posted by jpropper:
I use gopingme for this all day. I have gopingme as a home page tab on my browser and quickly move to it to set a reminder. You can send it to Toodledo (throughfiltered gmail for me, haven't figured how to confirm email to Toodledo), cell phone, email, wherever. I generally don't send to Toodledo because I don't see any reason.

I choose to send my reminders to Toodledo because, at present, it is the first place I look to see what needs to be done. That, and the fact that it has an offline client on my iPod Touch. I do also send a copy to my e-mail address at work, but I do not receive any data on my cell phone at this time.

--Ken
Morgan

Posted: Aug 01, 2009
Posted by The Dave:
Posted by Toodledo:
I'll answer a bunch of questions here:

1) It is not possible to have a "when due" or "0 minute" leadtime because of the nature of how reminders are sent we cannot guarantee that they would arrive ontime. We can only guarantee 15 minute accuracy.

FWIW, I don't care if the reminder is late, I'm just wanting to use this for tasks that can't be started until a certain time, but need to be done with enough urgency to bother me rather then just set a start time to hide the task...

Ditto this. If I understand the problem correctly, the 15-minute reminder isn't any more accurate, it's just guaranteed not to arrive *after* the task is due. But personally, if I want a "when due" reminder, I'd rather have it arrive at +/-5 minutes, instead of at 15 +/- 5.

I can and will set my due times ahead by 15 minutes, but it would be nicer not to have to.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 02, 2009
Apple does not guarantee delivery of push reminders. We send the reminder to Apple almost immediately, but it could then take from 2 seconds to 45 minutes (we've heard) for it to be delivered. In our testing, nearly all of the reminders arrived within 10 minutes. This is why we only offer reminders 15 minutes out. This is the safety margin that we use to ensure that reminders will most likely not be delivered late.
Kevin

Posted: Aug 10, 2009
Just looked at this new service and it says about your SMS gateway address. Just called O2 (I'm in the UK) and they don't know what this is all about.

Any advice?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
This wikipedia page explains SMS gateways and may have some information about your specific carrier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_gateways#Carrier_gateways
Anders

You could try the two formats listed at the bottom of this page: http://www.mutube.com/projects/open-email-to-sms/gateway-list/
However, according to a thread from their forums, O2 does not automatically allow you to use email to SMS, and you have to have them turn it on, and pay a fee to use it. Here is the thread: http://forum.o2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=10871
CK

Posted: Nov 07, 2009
E-mail to SMS has worked for me a total of once.

I have subscribed to Rogers' option for enabling this. I always enter Due Date and Due Time on my To Do app on the iPhone.

I have put in the reminder here as [email protected] and have reinput that number several times.

Very puzzled as to why this doesn't work when it appears I have done everything correctly. Since I'm paying $5/month for the E-mail to SMS option at Rogers for a few months now, I need to know if I've missed something or this is going to be fixed or I will cancel the Rogers option.

Thanks.

This message was edited Nov 07, 2009.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 08, 2009
If you send an email to your phone's email address from your email program, does it arrive? If not, then it is your phone or carrier. If it does arrive, then there are two things to check.

1) Is your timezone set correctly on this website (account settings)?
2) Are you clicking the "remind me" checkbox under the duedate/time for a task?
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4  

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.