ForumsNewsToodledo 2017 - The Year in Review

Toodledo 2017 - The Year in Review
Ummagumma

Posted: May 08, 2018
Score: 0 Reference
Posted by GSP1963:
@Ummagumma: Interesting. 2Do is one of the few task managers I haven't evaluated. What is "advance filtering"?

Basically, 2Do has a “Focus” icon and a clock icon. The “Focus” is like Hotlist in Toodledo, except that it can be defined independently per each task list, and is I think more flexible overall. The clock icon shows or hides tasks with a future start date. It also has “Smart lists” which is basically saved searches on user defined parameters and groups of lists. It uses Boolean operators, the saved filters can be backed up / copied / pasted as plaintext.

So, I can switch from showing only my Focus tasks, to showing all tasks except the ones that have a future start date, to showing all tasks, with a single tap. No messing around in saved views. It’s just two small icons easily accessible.

I can also set up All tasks view (it’s pre-set), All Personal, or All work (combining related lists). And use the two icons above on any of them.

In Toodledo, I would need to define a separate saved search for each view combination (e.g, “All personal, Focus”) and invoke it via drop down for each use. In 2Do, it’s just a tap or two away, and I don’t have to fumble around my saved searches trying to remember which one to use. Pick one of three top-level smart views on the left, tap one of the two filtering icons in the view (optional).

Also, the hidden subtasks automatically show up when their date comes. In Toodledo if I hide the subtasks they stay hidden.

Overall, 2Do has the best interface optimized for working with tasks the way I want. It’s like the developer has the same mindset as I do.
coolexplorer

Posted: May 08, 2018
Score: 2 Reference
Posted by GSP1963:

3. I agree with recent comments by Jake that the added bells and whistles added to the app are uncertain in terms of being a plus or a minus. Notes are certainly useful. But Outlines, Lists, and--especially--Habits? There are other apps that handle those things much better and I worry that in trying to present itself as a Swiss Army knife, so to speak, focus is being taken away from Toodledo's incomparable tasks views and reporting. Toodledo can't compete with the many excellent habit-building apps out there and it puts itself at a disadvantage, in my opinion, to encourage evaluators to judge it in that area. I could be wrong. I can certainly appreciate the logic in trying to make Toodledo a comprehensive organizing solution; I'm just not sure it's the right approach.

Agree. I subscribe to TD and use the Tasks function only. Would appreciate if the developers precious time is spent on this area exclusively.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 09, 2018
Score: 0 Reference
We are continuing to invest the majority of our efforts towards the new Tasks section that we released last year and are continuing to improve.
boydston01

Posted: May 17, 2018
Score: 3 Reference
Posted by GSP1963:
Just a quick post here to give the people at Toodledo a bit of customer feedback.

I just returned to Toodledo after using another app for over a year. I have been using Toodledo off-and-on--mostly on--for 15 years, by my best estimate. Before returning to Toodledo recently, I evaluated about a dozen task manager options. Observations:

1. The single greatest thing about Toodledo is its superb customizable view and reports. Nothing comes close. It's like the Erector Set of todo apps: with the options in selecting fields, the order of presenting those fields, the customizable searches, you can pretty much build anything you want. This is the essence of Toodledo, frankly, and I think you folks need to beat that point home relentlessly. You will never win a contest for being pretty, being a "life manager," or being trendy and hip. What Toodledo does is it gets the work done like nothing else. Need a report that shows all tasks done for a certain project exactly X days ago and excluding trivial (-1) tasks? Toodledo can do it. Oh, and you want to sort by Priority first, print a copy, then sort by date, and print another copy? No problem.

2. The aging and unacceptable Toodledo iOS app was almost a deal-breaker for me. I imagine that this weak spot takes Toodledo off the list of options for many. It doesn't match the website design, it doesn't use the full iPhone X screen, and it looks very dated. In the end, I followed advice I'd seen on here and tried the website on my phone and found that worked well enough for my uses. For serious task work, I use my desktop PC; for me, all I really need from the phone is a lightweight reminder of what's on the agenda. I use stars to indicate tasks for the current day, and the website on my phone handles that well. I'm glad I got past the iOS app hurdle; I'm sure many don't.

3. I agree with recent comments by Jake that the added bells and whistles added to the app are uncertain in terms of being a plus or a minus. Notes are certainly useful. But Outlines, Lists, and--especially--Habits? There are other apps that handle those things much better and I worry that in trying to present itself as a Swiss Army knife, so to speak, focus is being taken away from Toodledo's incomparable tasks views and reporting. Toodledo can't compete with the many excellent habit-building apps out there and it puts itself at a disadvantage, in my opinion, to encourage evaluators to judge it in that area. I could be wrong. I can certainly appreciate the logic in trying to make Toodledo a comprehensive organizing solution; I'm just not sure it's the right approach.

That's it. I hope this has been helpful. Thank you all for continuing to develop and maintain Toodledo.

I am quoting GSP's ENTIRE post because these could be my own words!

I especially agree with point number one. Toodledo is about the ONLY todo app that can be customized so as to truly support anyone's methodology.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2  

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.