ForumsNewsToodledo Update: November 2018

Toodledo Update: November 2018
aaron.c.salls

Posted: Nov 30, 2018
Score: 4 Reference
Hey hey,

Aaron here.

It's been a busy November for us, but here's our latest monthly update on the highlights of what we've been working on. Since we shared our 6-month plans last month, the team’s been heads down on recruiting engineering help, building new features, and solving several longstanding issues and bugs.

So let’s just get right to it.

Rollover overdue tasks
One of the most common frustrations I’ve heard from users is how irritating and time-consuming it is updating all the tasks they didn’t get to yesterday. Isn’t this why we switched from paper and pencil task lists?

We think it should be easier. So we’ve added a setting to automatically roll over overdue tasks to today. You can enable or disable this via a pop-under or in settings under “Overdue tasks”.

We recommend folks who follow Michael Linenberger's MYN or 1MTD methodologies to disable this feature.

End of month recurrence
Many apps allow you to pick the day of the month for a monthly recurring task.

But this doesn’t work for the end of month tasks because the last day of the month can land between the 28th and the 31st.

Now, you’ll be able to set tasks to automatically recur on the last workday of each month or the last day of each month. No more disappearing monthly tasks when you schedule it on the 31st.

Non-profit pricing
We're excited to share that we're launching a Toodledo for Nonprofits program. More details on the program on the program can be found here.

What next?
Next up are much-requested Google calendar and iCalendar improvements. These will be in beta in the first half of February.

We’ve also begun rolling out new content on our blog (including power tips shared by several of our users) and are launching case studies to share how different power users get more done with Toodledo next week.

Finally, we are wrapping up improvements that will also go into effect on January 1st with the new plans, such as improved billing and bringing collaboration to free plans.

The rest of our plans and roadmap are up on the feature request board that we shared last month. As we’ve mentioned, we’re looking to create new ways to give folks a preview into what the team’s working on and for you to share feedback with us.

Hiring
So good news, bad news.

The good news is we’ve brought on a part-time web developer (Leonel) with experience on our stack in late-November, so we’ll make faster progress on our engineering roadmap and have more technical bandwidth on the operations front.

The bad news is our mobile developer had to take a step back from work to give his full attention to a personal situation. So, we’re hitting pause on our mobile app development until we get the right things in place.

Anything else?
As we mentioned above, if you know someone who’s a talented web developer or mobile developer, we’d really appreciate it if you could refer them to us. More help will enable us to pull more features into the roadmap timeline.

If there’s something you didn’t see or if you have feedback, you can reach me at [email protected] or call me directly at 703-628-3068 (PST, in case you reach voicemail).

Best,
Aaron
pawelkaleta

Posted: Dec 01, 2018
Score: 0 Reference
In short words - two tiny new features introduced and again some promises made for the future, plus info about pausing the mobile app development. Great update, thanks! :)
dmos01

Posted: Dec 01, 2018
Score: 1 Reference
Posted by aaron.c.salls:
Rollover overdue tasks
One of the most common frustrations I’ve heard from users is how irritating and time-consuming it is updating all the tasks they didn’t get to yesterday. Isn’t this why we switched from paper and pencil task lists?

We think it should be easier. So we’ve added a setting to automatically roll over overdue tasks to today. You can enable or disable this via a pop-under or in settings under “Overdue tasks”.

The new setting called "Overdue Tasks Alert"? Presumably, that setting would send you a notification whenever a task becomes "overdue" and would in no way modify the task's start or end dates?

This message was edited Dec 01, 2018.
sknipfing

Posted: Dec 03, 2018
Thanks Aaron, the end-of-month feature is helpful. Please keep plugging away at the ever growing feature request list.

Scott
DannyWissen

Posted: Dec 06, 2018
Hi Aaron,
thanks for updating us!
I work for a company which recently switched to Scrum/Kanban. So I know how difficult the first sprints are until you know how much can be done within a sprint. I love to hear updates, even if there is less progress than you would love to make.

Keep up the good work and all the best for your hiring!

Greetings Daniela
cj

>So we’ve added a setting to automatically roll over overdue tasks to today. You can enable or disable this via a pop-under or in settings under “Overdue tasks”.

Don't see this settings option.
All I see is "Overdue Tasks Alert"
which doesn't seem like an option for rolling over tasks ...

can you be more specific about where to enable this new option?
GSP1963

Posted by cj:
Don't see this settings option.
All I see is "Overdue Tasks Alert"
which doesn't seem like an option for rolling over tasks ...

I agree with CJ. I was looking for this functionality yesterday and it isn't clear to me how, where, or even if it's been added.

Any help (from Toodledo staff or other users) would be appreciated. Thanks.

This message was edited Dec 06, 2018.
martingchapman

In the absence of any official reply from TD this is what I have found.

In the settings you will see "Overdue Tasks Alert" which you can enable or disable.
I have had a play with this and it appears to pop up an alert once a day telling you how many overdue tasks you have and giving you the option to ignore it or change the date on all of them to today.

May be wrong but this is what it appears to do.
Purveyor

Contrary to what Aaron says, this is not "a setting to automatically roll over overdue tasks to today". Key word is "automatically".

In any case, it seems that Aaron will be dropping by once a month to provide an update and he will not be responding to user questions. After all, he is CEO of Toodledo so he is obviously busy dealing with all of the executives that report to him ...

I was thinking of creating a default response, similar to what Jake had when he responded to a feature request. Something like:

"Thanks for asking. Unfortunately, Toodledo does not provide answers to support questions in these forums and I am not interested in providing free support now that my subscription will be tripling in price."

Well, perhaps things will change ...

pawelkaleta

Well said.

Anybody figured out how to use the second feature anounced, i.e. setting the last day of month for repeating task? I can't find it (?)
Purveyor

@pawelkaleta,

At the bottom of the Repeat field there's "End of Month" with a horizontal band of white space.
If you click anywhere in that space, you'll get a checkmark at the right. This will override all the other settings for repeat.
Not intuitive.
pawelkaleta

Aaa, there it is, thanks. I was trying to find it on web interface on Android phone and it's not implemented there. When you switch to desktop view then yes, the option appears.

GSP1963

Posted: Dec 07, 2018
Posted by Purveyor:
At the bottom of the Repeat field there's "End of Month" with a horizontal band of white space.

I still can't make heads or tails of this. I can't see any option to repeat on the end of the month -- nothing found under "Simple options," nothing found under "Advanced options." Also, on the Help/FAQ pages, there's no mention at all of the feature; in fact, the help still warns users choosing the 31st will cause the task to be skipped on months with fewer days.

Honestly, these are two small enhancements. I don't think either of them have been executed well. The first one isn't automatic, as the CEO described it. The second one I can't even find. I'm not encouraged.
pawelkaleta

Posted by GSP1963:
Honestly, these are two small enhancements. I don't think either of them have been executed well. The first one isn't automatic, as the CEO described it. The second one I can't even find. I'm not encouraged.

Fully agree, very sloppy implementation and we are talking about really small features.

The second one you should looking for while setting repeating pattern for given task, not in options/settings. You will find there another option to set end of month.
Purveyor

Posted by GSP1963:
I can't see any option to repeat on the end of the month -- nothing found under "Simple options," nothing found under "Advanced options." Also, on the Help/FAQ pages, there's no mention at all of the feature; in fact, the help still warns users choosing the 31st will cause the task to be skipped on months with fewer days.
You're using the old version of Toodledo.

You can change to the new version at Modify Default Settings.

Actually, it's not really new. It was introduced on March 7, 2017 and the option to make it the default became available on May 19, 2017.
Purveyor

On June 25, 2018 Sam said this:
there are no major product updates right now other than updating the iOS app.
On September 26, 2018, Aaron said this:
We have an IOS developer working on a large overhaul of the IOS app. As many folks have shared, the IOS app was in a bad state. We are accelerating this development to bring this experience up to parity and to keep up with Apple’s IOS update schedule. We’ll share more soon once we've scoped out all the work
On November 1, 2018, Aaron said:
We’re prioritizing getting mobile apps, voice input, smartwatch apps, calendar integrations, and task sharing so that you can get tasks into one central location even faster and never fall behind on your to-do list, no matter where you go
A few days ago in this topic, he said:
The bad news is our mobile developer had to take a step back from work to give his full attention to a personal situation. So, we’re hitting pause on our mobile app development until we get the right things in place.
So, a top priority has been put on hold because one developer is not available. What does Aaron mean by "get the right things in place"?

Toodledo has been looking for developers since July 29, 2018. Looks like they're not trying very hard or they're not willing to pay enough.

This message was edited Dec 07, 2018.
roaz

Score: 2 Reference
I think the chances of someone new coming in and doing a better job than Jake on the existing code base is slim. It was his baby for 10+ years. It will take much longer than hoped (planned) for that to happen.

Nobody is talking about how difficult this effort will be with new developers. There is a high risk of failure. Maybe I missed it over the last few months, but I did not see any programming credentials that proved otherwise. I saw business and project management skills....not the high profile developer with ownership that could step in and hit the ground running.

I will not be renewing my subscription and have already moved on to another solution. There are many excellent products out there with good management and larger teams. While you may have to adjust your work flow and approach, I found it a worthwhile effort.

I hope that I am proved wrong and wish everyone all the best.
GSP1963

Posted by Purveyor:
You're using the old version of Toodledo.

Gaah! I thought I had been on the new version, but apparently not. The switch fixed my issue with the End of Month function. Thanks!

My apologies to the Toodledo staff on this. User error strikes again.

This message was edited Dec 07, 2018.
Dave Gannon

Posted: Dec 12, 2018
I must be missing something with the task roll over. I enabled the 'Overdue Tasks Alert' option, but haven't seen anything occur for the two days that it has been enabled - no movement of tasks, no pop ups...nothing. Anybody actually seeing this option work?

Thanks
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.