ForumsNewsAdvanced Search

Advanced Search
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 08, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
Today is a twofer! In addition to the "Status View" (announced earlier), we are also releasing our much requested advanced search upgrade. This was a big project, so we are happy to finally share it with everyone.

The "Search View" will now allow you to perform complicated boolean searches. Using this, you can create your own custom tabs using any criteria that you can dream up. For example, you could create a saved search for (Priority=3 OR Due=in the next 3 days OR Starred) AND (Folder="Project A" OR Context="Work") AND (status="Active")

This is a huge improvement over the old search page, so we are hoping that everyone will find this useful.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 08, 2008
We previously announced that the advanced search page would allow you to edit multiple tasks at once. This is still in development. We just wanted to get the search part out for everyone to play with instead of sitting on it until the multi-edit component was completed.
InfoJeff

Posted: Jul 09, 2008
This is tremendous! Thank you so much for this feature.

I have several views that I was needing to check on regularly and it was very labor intensive to click though all the steps. This ability to save searches will make it painless to check those views (and therefore I will check them more often, which will increase my productivity).
InfoJeff

I liked this new feature so much I worked out a complex search and posted about it with a screen shot here:

http://www.toodledo.com/forums/3/339/-1450/inbox-equals-tasks-missing-certain-fields.html
Qrystal

OOooOooooooo, it will eventually let us edit multiple tasks at once?! AWESOME!!!

And THANKS SO MUCH for releasing it for us to play with!!!
Jeremy

Nice update! Can't wait for the "edit multiple" tasks...
J-Mac

Posted: Jul 10, 2008
Thank you for the Advanced Saved Searches. Very nice!

There doesn't appear to be a Help topic about this yet. Can you give us the search terms that can be used with dates?

E.g., To search for tasks overdue by 5 days or more?

dueBefore:Today

Or tasks due in the next month?

dueWithin:"1 month of today"

Another task application, "Remember the Milk", allows the advanced search terms located here:

http://www.rememberthemilk.com/help/answers/search/advanced.rtm

Is there a similar list of search terms for Toodledo?

Thanks!

Jim
Jake

Toodledo Founder
With our advanced search view, you aren't required to remember any strange search terms. It's all there visually on the screen to pick from. Just click the "Search" link at the top of your to-do list.

You may be thinking about our QuickSearch field that allows you to quickly look through the tasks on the screen. The QuickSearch feature has not been changed.
ethele

Thanks a ton! I really was getting sick of re-writing out the same searches ten times a day - and really needed something a little more sophisticated.
vegheadjones

Posted: Jul 14, 2008
This is so great!

One request-- is there anyway to do a search on tag = blank? I can't seem to get that to work.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 15, 2008
Definitly, just select "tag" then select "is" and then leave the last field blank.
vegheadjones

Posted: Jul 16, 2008
And of course that works, thanks!

Does leaving the last field blank for all other categories work this way as well? If so that is a nice (and useful) touch.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 16, 2008
Yes, it works for all the categories. So you can search for tasks without a due-date, without a tag, without a note, etc...
kurt

Posted: Jul 17, 2008
This is a fantastic update! Keep up the good work!
J-Mac

Posted: Jul 19, 2008
Posted by Toodledo:
With our advanced search view, you aren't required to remember any strange search terms. It's all there visually on the screen to pick from. Just click the "Search" link at the top of your to-do list.

You may be thinking about our QuickSearch field that allows you to quickly look through the tasks on the screen. The QuickSearch feature has not been changed.

Jake,

How do I create a search for oversue tasks?

I select "Due Date" -> "is before" -> ???

I want to be able to say Today" there, but instead I get a calendar to select a specific date. I can select today's date but of course today is only today until tomorrow!

I tried typing in "Today" but got some unwanted results: overdue dates plus ALL undated tasks. If I worked on it I could probably add a half dozen or so "rules", but that isn't very helpful really.

Anyway to accomplish this type of search quickly?

Thanks!

Jim
Acustk

Posted: Jul 20, 2008
How do I create a search for oversue tasks?

I tried the following and it seems to work. No matter when you run it, it return everything overdue from "today's" date.

Due Date | "is within the last" | 1,000 days
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 20, 2008
That is probably the easiest way to do it.

I was about to post a two rule version that would do the same thing "Due date is not within the next 0 days AND duedate is not [blank]", but either will work and a 1 rule search is more elegant.

This message was edited Jul 21, 2008.
J-Mac

Posted: Jul 21, 2008
OK. Thank you.

Jim
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.