ForumsNewsFour small improvements and fixes

Four small improvements and fixes
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 01, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
We have just released a few small improvements and bug fixes.

1) The Calendar page has been promoted to a full view. The link has been moved from the sidebar up to the top in the "View By" section.

2) Saved Booklets will now have the option of being download in Letter as well as A4 sized paper.

3) A saved search that was using a field that you no longer have displayed on your list, will now be correctly editable.

4) The "History" link in the sidebar has always been a shortcut to the "Recently Completed" tab on the main view. We are switching this to link to the "Search" page with a pre-filled search. This will make it easier and quicker to adjust the date-range for the completed tasks that you want to find.
Anders

Cool, thanks. I like the new Calendar stuff. I'm glad to see that progressing because it has a lot of potential. Also, the History moving is actually a big thing for me because I did not like having it always take me to my Main view, and changing my Main view sort settings.
Allen

It's the little things that make all the difference. Great work.

Is there a keyboard shortcut to access the Calendar view?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Not yet, but thats on our to-do list.
bo.peterson

A4 booklet is great for a European like me.
Proximo

The view by Calendar is great. It actually makes great sense to have it there and I will use it more often from now on.

The History Link is also a great change. This also just makes sense the way it works now.

Great job Toodledo.
Proximo

I wanted to point out something with the History Link.

When you click on it and it takes you to the default search.

I notice the option is there for me to "Modify this search" but when I click on it, it just disappears.

I think it would be best if this option did not show up at all.

I don't think having the option to modify the search is wise because it will be confusing. We already have an amazing search tool that allows us to save searches based on as much criteria as you would need.

Let's keep the History Link as a simple default search.

Just a thought.
Nickolay

Hmm, didn't even know there was a calendar page. It's very useful, thanks!
dpoort

Can you please, in addition to moving the calendar link where you have moved it, leave a link at the side bar?

I miss it being there and I used it all the time.

:(

Thanks
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We are trying to reduce clutter, so we are going to leave the link out of the sidebar. I know it may take a little getting used to, but I am sure that after a day or two you won't even remember that it has moved.
benny

When I clicked on History, it shows me the new search page. When I clicked on another saved search my sort had changed - but only the first column to sort by. Due Date had changed to Date Completed. I changed it back and all was right with the world. Not a big deal but I wanted to mention it.
Claudio

Posted: Oct 02, 2009
Posted by Toodledo:
We are trying to reduce clutter, so we are going to leave the link out of the sidebar. I know it may take a little getting used to, but I am sure that after a day or two you won't even remember that it has moved.
It seems to me that the place to reduce clutter is at the top of the screen not at the side. Also, (almost) every tab at the top takes you to a list of tasks -- the Calendar is fundamentally different, and I think that the link should have remained on the left. If anything should be moved from the left to the top it's History. Likewise, Search should be moved to the left.

Keeping the overall layout the same (for now), everything across the top should allow you to view a list of tasks categorized in various ways. Everything on the left is something else.

This message was edited Oct 02, 2009.
Anders

The calendar is a list of tasks categorized by dates. The search view is also a list of tasks. I think the new placement makes the most sense.
Claudio

Does the Calendar view allow you to Filter, Sort, or QuickSearch?
Does it allow you to Hide Recently Completed, Negative Priority, or Deferred Tasks?
Does it allow you to Flatten or Indent subtasks?
Can you choose Calendar as the default view in Account Settings?

All of the above features are available for Main, Folder, Context, Goal, Due-Date, Priority, Tag, and Status. They are not available for the Calendar view.

Why move the link from the left to the top, which is already cluttered? Were there requests to move the link? I've never seen a post where a user requested this. What I have seen is requests to move the tabs from the top to the left.

ETA: When I said "a list of tasks categorized in various ways", I meant that each view can be filtered and sorted in various ways. The Calendar view cannot.

Anders

I understand your point, but at the same time, all the views are tied together by being different ways to slice up your task list. Now all of those are in the same place, your list of views. I don't see how it makes more sense to have the link for calendar be in the left sidebar. It seems sort of arbitrary. Why does it fit there? Also, the calendar view does filter (click on a day, and all other days are filtered out), while the Search view which has always been in the view list does not filter (except of course in the original search criteria).

Proximo

I think Search should remain on the top. Search is the most widely used view by many because of it's powerful filtering features and the ability to save the search.

To me View Task by Search Criteria is how I see it. So I would really hate to see Search move.

I do think it makes more sense to have the Calendar on the top since the Calendar is just another way to view your task. What I would like to see now is the Calendar improve in functionality and a Graphical improvement.

Many people did not use Calendar much because it does not provide as many useful options as we would like and it just plain looks horrible.

Moving it to the top gives it a center stage role and I hope the Calendar is improved because of it.
Claudio

Okay, two against one. I give in. ;)

But Anders, using your logic, History should be at the top, right?
Anders

Yes, I would love to see history get its own view. I did not like it being a part of Main view because it would change my main view sort whenever I used it. Since I change my sort in Search view depending on the Search I am looking at, that is not as significant anymore. However, someone did just post in the Questions forum about how it changed their sort in Search view. So I think that may still be confusing to people since it is a link in the sidebar, people do not expect it to alter their view settings.

I also agree with Proximo. I hope that the fact Calendar is now in the views means we will see it get souped up a little. Perhaps view options for the calendar like one row (week)at a time so I don't have to scroll down to see the tasks, sorting options, show overdue on today, actually display task names (not just counts) in the calendar.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We do plan to improve the calendar view so that it is more like a regular view. We actually wanted to get rid of the "history" link altogether since it is just a shortcut to a search that you can do yourself, but we know that a lot of people depend on this shortcut, so we left it in place, but made it function a little better.
Claudio

Jake, perhaps you can clarify how you determine which changes you make, from all the changes you could make and from all the requests that you receive.

As much as I appreciate the improvements, it seems that your priorities are quite different from those of users who post in the forums. Are you receiving a lot of feature requests by email?

Also, if you haven't already done so, please take a look at Proximo's thread here: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/3436/0/feature-request-post.html
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.