ForumsNewsSeveral refinements to subtasks and notes.

Several refinements to subtasks and notes.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 24, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Today we are releasing some refinements to the way subtasks are manipulated as well as a few bug fixes and enhancements.

1) Moving subtasks around via drag and drop will now be smoother with less flickering and jerkiness.
2) Dragging a new subtask onto a closed parent, with manual sorting turned on, will now work properly.
3) Loading subtasks will now always obey the "show/hide notes" setting that you have selected.
4) Worked around a bug in Chrome that could cause the task or note to be overwritten with a different task or note when using the back button in combination with certain actions.
5) When typing a note or notebook entry, a small counter will now tell you how many characters you have left to type.
6) Some caps have been put into place to protect Toodledo from degraded performance.

Let me explain #5 and #6 a little bit.

Notes and Notebook entries have always had a limit on the number of characters they could hold, but this wasn't documented or displayed. If your note was too long, it just got truncated. So, we now display the number of characters left to type. The limits are very big. There are only a handful of notes or notebook entries that have hit these limits. Here they are:

Total length of a note: 32,000 characters
Total length of a notebook entry: 64,000 characters

We also noticed that there were a handful of people using Toodledo very heavily, who were causing degraded performance for everyone else. After investigating, we determined that in almost all of these cases, the abuse was happening unintentionally, due to a misbehaving third-party application that was syncing poorly to their account. In several instances, we found customers who had 200,000+ folders. Our UI was never designed to support this many folders, and I doubt our webpage would have even opened. We noticed similar things with contexts, goals, notebooks and tasks. In one case we found someone with half a million tasks in their account, but 499,950 of them were duplicates. Yikes!

So, we needed to put some caps in place to protect the service from abuse. We carefully analyzed how people were using Toodledo and picked caps that will not affect anyone using it as intended. There are only a few dozen accounts that will be affected by these limits, and most of these accounts are no longer active, probably abandoned because they couldn't figure out how to fix it.

That said, here are the new limits.

Total number of Folders: 1,000
Total number of Contexts: 1,000
Total number of Goals: 1,000
Total number of Notebooks: 10,000
Total number of Tasks: 20,000

The last one (number of tasks) is actually a partial cap. It is only applied to tasks added via third-party syncing applications. You can have more than 20,000 tasks if they are added via the website.

We don't want to point fingers, but we also don't want people's information to get corrupted, so, if you are using a old version of the ChromaDrake software for syncing Outlook to Toodledo, please consider upgrading to a recent version that fixes these issues.
coachmac

Posted: Nov 25, 2009
I don't come here often. I just want to say how glad I am being able to use Toodledoo everyday!!
I don't think I could manage my work life without it.
Keep up the good work!
jcyclone

Posted: Nov 25, 2009
The more I use Toodledoo, the more I like it. It seems to be a simple---and powerful---solution for my laptop, desktop, & iPhone. Keep up the development.
Asheen

Posted: Nov 27, 2009
@Toodledo, could you post on the Outlook Sync page that you linked to (and perhaps for other blessed third-party apps as well) what's the latest version number that you've tested with/recommend we use? That would help.

Thanks!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 27, 2009
We have not tested the Outlook sync app, so we can't recommend a particular version. If you decide to use it, I would recommend the most recent version, which you can find on the developers website.

http://www.chromadrake.com/ChromaticDragon/Default.aspx
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.