ForumsNewsWhat we have been doing recently

What we have been doing recently
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 21, 2010
Score: 9 Reference
This isn't going to be that exciting to you, but it is to us.

Some of you may have noticed that our frequent updates to the website have slowed down a little bit over the last few months. This isn't because we are slacking off. In fact, we have been working on Toodledo harder than we've ever worked before, and we have even hired a few extra developers to assist us.

After 4 years of continual improvements, the inner workings of Toodledo were starting to get a little messy and hard to maintain and extend. When we designed the guts of Toodledo 4 years ago, we didn't anticipate certain things that were starting to make it difficult for us to continue to add functionality to Toodledo in the future.

So, about 4 months ago we started cleaning up, reorganizing, and rewriting the skeleton and brains of the website. It was a long, somewhat tedious project, but it was necessary and worth it. It's really anticlimactic for us, because if we did it right, then nobody would notice. I'm happy to say that we flipped the switch last Monday and nobody noticed.

So, this doesn't really mean anything to you as a Toodledoer except that we now have a clean foundation for moving forwards and that our energy will now be directed towards more visible improvements.

Thanks for using Toodledo!
davidlmontgomery

Score: 2 Reference
As a developer, I can absolutely appreciate what you are talking about.

Congratulations on completing the work and making the switch seamless for the end-users.

I'm happy for myself, too, because I know this sort of reorganization and clean-up can make a big difference in your ability to add things going forward.
gpzbc

Score: 0 Reference
That's great to know. Thanks for you hard work, and thanks for the transparency.
Andrew

Score: 1 Reference
Trust me, anyone who has ever spent more than 20 hours on a software project of their own knows what you are talking about. It's like going from ints to longs, or using anonymous listeners instead of shared listeners in Java. Heck its like going from continuous polling to interrupts/listeners in the first place!

Now that we know you've rewritten the core, we'll be expecting great things out of it. (unlike Remember the Milk)
Dave

Awesome, congrats that it went so well without a notice. Thanks for keeping us in the loop. You guys are excellent with your communication in the forums.
PeterW 

Thanks Jake - for both keeping everything working smoothly and for letting us know that things are moving forward.
jeremy_1368041510

Posted: May 22, 2010
That is great news! Congrats on what sounds like a significant accomplishment. Hopefully this means that shared tasks will now be trivial to implement (hint, hint) :)

I for one am looking forward to exciting things to come with Toodledo in the coming months. Well done.
ocube

Not to add a dampener to the whole upbeat feeling, any chance of an interface refresh? I absolutely love the functionality of toodledo and think it rivals any competitor at least for my needs but I find the user interface really dull. Am sure you can spruce it up a bit. I think the interface for the iPhone version is really good and think you can surely update the online version.
Alan

Posted by ocube:
Not to add a dampener to the whole upbeat feeling, any chance of an interface refresh?

Ocube: I think was Toodledo is saying is that the previous version of the guts of Toodledo made it very difficult to make any changes and that in order to change the website, they had to rewrite the program, which is what they have accomplished. Now that this is done, I suspect interface improvements are on their way.

I firmly believe Toodledo "gets it" when it comes to the complaints about the interface and had to invest several months doing what they did in order to make improvements.

This message was edited May 22, 2010.
ocube

Thanks Alan... WIll look out for the refresh, cos I really like Toodledo...
Osaga

I have to agree with others. As someone who also writes code I feel your pain and victory in the rewrite. Very exciting!
prv_gtd

Score: -1 Reference
Je voudrais moi aussi vous féliciter pour l'information que vous nous donnez. Cela prouve qu'a court terme on aura un site performant. J'utilise beaucoup votre site et votre appli toodledo pour iphone et je compte sur vous pour continuer.

NB : I prefer to write in french because I live in France.

This message was edited May 22, 2010.
JonG

<--- Blissfully unaware.

Congrats. That is quite an accomplishment, and definately worth trumpeting, since we clearly didn't notice.
neilbonavita

Posted: May 23, 2010
Hi Toodledo,

I was a rigid RTM follower and tried your product a few times over the years and found it too cumbersome. Then, not sure why, I just switched over and love it!! Thanks for a great product. I think it is because of all the hard work you put into it and it seems much easier and more user friendly.
one of the features that I miss with RTM that I can't get to work on Toodledo is that using a program like ReQall, I could leave myself a message, "RTM Call Bob Smith on Thursday at 5PM" which was sent to gmail and forwarded directly into my RTM account without me having to change anything like adding the date and time and folder. With Toodledo, I have to get to my computer or keyboard and log in and manually fix it. Any chance of making this work? Either by adding a connection to ReQall or a direct voice input to Toodledo? Again, you've won me over I just miss being able to leave myself reminders in the car or while walking between meetings etc.
Keep up the good work!!

Neil
gpzbc

Toodledo's connection to Jott will do this.
http://www.toodledo.com/connect_jott.php
Linden

This is awesome news -- congrats on the accomplishment! My company is working on a major code overhaul as well, so I can completely understand what a huge undertaking that was.
tlaughlin

Toodledo folk, that's great! Am looking forward to your upcoming improvements as well.

Can I make a suggestion?

Charge more.

Really.

I would happily pay more money for the features Toodledo offers now. I have tried literally several hundred time/task/project management software over the past 15 years. (Yes, literally. Costing from $0 - $600.) And Toodledo is the best. It is extremely well thought out, highly flexible, and functions quickly, cleanly, and smoothly. You guys really have done a superb job!

I would really love to see more features though. Mini-project management features.

I think there is a huge gap in the marketplace between task management software and project management software. To my knowledge there is nothing out there with good graphical dashboards, limitless hierarchical subprojects, and Gantt charts along with the features, ease, and flexibility of ToodleDo. If there was, I would happily pay $49 per month for the service. (I'm cheap. But this is something that would make a huge different in my productivity level.) While I'm not sure what price the market would bear, I do think that many small business owners, independent contractors, and others who are serious about managing their projects and goals effectively would be willing to pay a reasonable monthly price for something like that.

Adding more features to Toodledo requires resources, however. So perhaps you need to charge us more for the great stuff you already offer. If so, I'm game.

[Running fast, before other users start throwing tomatoes!]
PeterW 

Score: 3 Reference
I hope that Toodledo is not heading more towards the project management space. There are quite a few solutions already available in the market and they cater for the quite complex requirements of corporate customers.

As for price point, I feel that Toodledo is exactly where it should be - it's a cost that many users wouldn't think twice about paying. At $49 I think they'd lose quite a bit of business.
Just my $0.02.
cjuzda

Agree 100% - If people want complex project management, they should look elsewhere - it's almost certainly not in Toodledo's DNA and while I think TD is a great value and well worth the price I would not want my $ subsidizing project management functionality I would never use.

Posted by PeterW:
I hope that Toodledo is not heading more towards the project management space. There are quite a few solutions already available in the market and they cater for the quite complex requirements of corporate customers.

As for price point, I feel that Toodledo is exactly where it should be - it's a cost that many users wouldn't think twice about paying. At $49 I think they'd lose quite a bit of business.
Just my $0.02.
Dave

Posted: May 24, 2010
Yep, have NO desire for project management functionality either.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.