ForumsNewsToodledo on the iPhone

Toodledo on the iPhone
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 08, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
We have verified the bug that someone reported about tasks being delete after you edit them. This only happens to tasks that do not have a due-date. Still a very nasty bug that we should have caught. Very sorry about this one. It has been fixed and sent to Apple, so hopefully they will get it on the App Store soon.

In the meantime, we have disabled deleting of tasks on Toodledo.com when syncing, so if you sync your tasks, and the iPhone version gets deleted because of this bug, the task will still exist on our server.

This message was edited Oct 08, 2008.
shopping2

First of all, I just want to say how AWESOME that a Toodledo native application is available for the iPhone. I purchased the Appigo application as well and despite promises contexts were never implemented. I was so frustrated by that, that I've been debating for weeks whether or not I should build an application for my personal use. Now, Jake has solved that problem!

I've been using it throughout the day and here are my thoughts:

1. A separate click to edit a task after I've selected it seems cumbersome and is very different from the standard interaction model of most iPhone applications. I think it's important to optimize access as quick as possible.

2. The controls for editing tasks can seem a bit laggy. Even after rebooting my iPhone, the editing controls just aren't as responsive as I'm used to.

3. It would be nice if the sync control was not buried in settings > synchronization. A common work flow for me is:
a. Add tasks while I am mobile, with Toodledo on. My iPhone is going on stand-by the whole time so the application is not getting rebooted.
b. Come to a computer and check my tasks on my machine.

Without having a sync button, I need to now turn on my iPhone and then find the sync button. I would love to just have a physical sync button so that periodically (every task or two) I can just sync.

4. Viewing tasks by date and clicking "Today" - is showing me tasks for tomorrow. I have no idea why this is the case as both Appigo Todo and the Web site show me the correct list of tasks for today. As a result, I am stuck using the Hotlist for now.

What I really like about the application, and this is a carry over from the web application, is the ability to customize the fields and have the Application UI optimize itself to show just what is needed. From an engineering perspective, that is exceptionally clever and I believe Jake is on the bleeding edge here in terms of thought.

I would love to be able to see a "search" feature similar in power to what Jake has built for the Web site; or perhaps just to pull my custom search parameters over.

Along with other enhancement ideas, it would be nice if there was a way to just very quickly enter text as the subject of the task and commit that on any screen (particularly the landing screen) similar to Appigo. This is ideal for GTD users who need a quick way of collecting data but then "process" the data later (querying perhaps all tasks with no context).

Finally, from a GTD users perspective - improving the boot time is key. To date, I find myself often using Writeroom or even Notes to collect inbox items because its faster to pull out and in the GTD methodology its all about getting it out of your head and into a system. If the boot time takes too long then one is tempted to forgo it.

Thank you once again. Great application!

HY
a.werner

After several experiments with time zone and time formats all my tasks are now shown as "Any Due-Date" in the Toodledo iphone-Application. However, if I look in task details all dates are furthermore correct.

In Toodledo Web Interface all tasks due dates are also correct. The sync with Appigo Todo works also without problems.

I think your application is pretty nice and has great potential.
I hope the annouced update will follow in a few days, because actually, for me, it seems to be a beta version.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Because of Apple's super secrecy, we were unable to do extensive beta testing. The results was that a few bugs slipped through which we are frantically trying to fix as quickly as possible. We hope to have all these things sorted out very soon.

Also, I've seen a few complaints here and elsewhere about missing functionality (subtasks for example). This is all coming. If we had waited until it was perfect, we'd be working on it forever. Some things didn't make the cut for version 1.0.

As for the issue of tasks for today showing up in the "tomorrow" list. Please make sure that your timezone is set correctly on our website and on your iPhone. If this still happens, please file a bug report via our website so it can get into our tracking system. Reporting bugs in these forums isn't 100% reliable.

Thanks
stjames

Apart from all the bugs already listed i found another one.
Everytime i select an existing goal or just "Any Goal" or "No Goal" in the "Goals" section, the App crashes!
( luckily all the changes are saved )

And i also have the problem with the tomorrow task shown in today. My timezone is set correctly on the webside and on the iPhone.

This message was edited Oct 08, 2008.
David

This is exactly what I have been waiting for. Great job on the app. I was going to purchase ToDo, but held off. It sounds as if you have big plans for this app so over time it will only get better.

Two suggestions.
1 - The height of the note field. It is 8 rows high. I would suggest making it 10-12 rows high. Due to the size of the screen a lot of text does not display with only 8 rows high.

2 - Links in notes - URLs in the note field appear as text and not clickable links. Please display URLs as clickable links.

David
wilcox

I own Appigo ToDo but bought your app immediately. Looks great. A coupld suggestions: I really would like to see a sync button on the home screen. And a way to set the default folder. (By the way, is there a way to set the default folder in Toodledo on the web?)

Great job! I look forward to watching this app evolve.
tarvit

Posted: Oct 09, 2008
Sorry, I'll use your bug reporting form from now on. I only care about it because I'm so pleased with your product in general, and expect great things from the application! (Which seems really well-designed and easy to use, by the way.) I know Apple's restrictions make testing a pain.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
If anyone wants to help us beta test future versions (so we don't get more nasty bugs) there are instructions in the developer's forum.
Neil Jensen

I like the app, but I'm getting problems with due dates. I noticed today that some of my daily repeating tasks are all showing up as due on Dec 28, 2007 on the phone, but they all show up correctly on the website, except for one which is showing as due in February 2008. I'll try syncing a few more times and see what happens, but any suggestions would be welcome.
Neil Jensen

Hold on, nevermind. Looks like the sort order had been changed to Date Added instead of Due Date without my knowledge. I'll recheck to make sure it's okay, but for now it looks like I'm good. Thanks.
Yannick

After a day of using the application I must admit that, yes it is exactly what I wanted, but no, it is not mature enough for usage. I'm awaiting the update before I will use it again. I'm running into bugs that should have been fixed before a 1.0 release, especially for a paying application.
Eric

Awesome, just what I was waiting for. As always Toodledo support will make this the best iPhone Task App!! Thanks again.
mkornder

I agree with nearly all of the comments Shopping2 made. the new iphone app is great, but it needs some work to bring it up to par with the Appigo application. The one I want to focus on are these:
1) sync button must be on the task list screen. I find that I want to sync often and if you bury the sync button 4 clicks away, I become very frustrated.
2) font is too small for me and can you wrap the text for long todo items!
3) I'm waiting for SOMEONE to integrate a drag and drop prioritizing system with one of these todo list apps. I'd really like it to be Toodledo. I want to be able to click and drag on an item and move it around the page to prioritize and shuffle the date. would be cool but it would really make scheduling a fluid process!!!!!!
4) I don't need an edit button after i click on a task. if I go to a task, it means I want to edit it anyway. there is no need to lock the screen while i view it. save a key stroke.
5) Most of the time while I schedule tasks, I choose it in reference to the number of days out rather than a specific date, so it is far easier to give me options of days out with a final option to choose a date at the bottom. this will speed the interface.

anyway that is all for now. keep up the good work and I hope you will consider my input as you work on the next release.

Posted by shopping2:
First of all, I just want to say how AWESOME that a Toodledo native application is available for the iPhone. I purchased the Appigo application as well and despite promises contexts were never implemented. I was so frustrated by that, that I've been debating for weeks whether or not I should build an application for my personal use. Now, Jake has solved that problem!

I've been using it throughout the day and here are my thoughts:

1. A separate click to edit a task after I've selected it seems cumbersome and is very different from the standard interaction model of most iPhone applications. I think it's important to optimize access as quick as possible.

2. The controls for editing tasks can seem a bit laggy. Even after rebooting my iPhone, the editing controls just aren't as responsive as I'm used to.

3. It would be nice if the sync control was not buried in settings > synchronization. A common work flow for me is:
a. Add tasks while I am mobile, with Toodledo on. My iPhone is going on stand-by the whole time so the application is not getting rebooted.
b. Come to a computer and check my tasks on my machine.

Without having a sync button, I need to now turn on my iPhone and then find the sync button. I would love to just have a physical sync button so that periodically (every task or two) I can just sync.

4. Viewing tasks by date and clicking "Today" - is showing me tasks for tomorrow. I have no idea why this is the case as both Appigo Todo and the Web site show me the correct list of tasks for today. As a result, I am stuck using the Hotlist for now.

What I really like about the application, and this is a carry over from the web application, is the ability to customize the fields and have the Application UI optimize itself to show just what is needed. From an engineering perspective, that is exceptionally clever and I believe Jake is on the bleeding edge here in terms of thought.

I would love to be able to see a "search" feature similar in power to what Jake has built for the Web site; or perhaps just to pull my custom search parameters over.

Along with other enhancement ideas, it would be nice if there was a way to just very quickly enter text as the subject of the task and commit that on any screen (particularly the landing screen) similar to Appigo. This is ideal for GTD users who need a quick way of collecting data but then "process" the data later (querying perhaps all tasks with no context).

Finally, from a GTD users perspective - improving the boot time is key. To date, I find myself often using Writeroom or even Notes to collect inbox items because its faster to pull out and in the GTD methodology its all about getting it out of your head and into a system. If the boot time takes too long then one is tempted to forgo it.

Thank you once again. Great application!

HY
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the feedback.
Tim

Posted by vegheadjones:
One thing I hope is supported soon is viewing by saved searches. Personally I don't need to make saved searches on the iphone, but I do need access to the ones I have already saved, that is where I do most of my work.

I second that idea - it's the feature that would make the app useful for me.
wilcox

Posted: Oct 10, 2008
Some new feature requests:

Remember the task list that I'm viewing and return to it when I open the app again. I don't want to be taken to the overall task list every time I launch the app, and then have to navigate to the list "All" list (which is where I usually live).

I like the Appigo ToDo way of showing dates due/overdue. When I sort by date due I need to be able to see more easily which tasks are overdue, which are due today, etc.

Repeat: sync button on the main screen

Question: will you add the ability to sync Notebooks?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Yes, we will be adding subtasks, notes, etc in a future update. We hope to replicate as much functionality from Toodledo as possible.

Thanks
george

Hello,

After trying (and in most cases buying) almost all GTD and task management applications from appStore I'm really optimistic that Toodledo will cover all my needs.

Firstly I would like to congratulate you for this excellent app.

Secondly I would like to comment on some of the posts above and especially on shoppping2 suggestions.
About the separate click to edit actually I disagree to change that. I like and prefer viewing the full details of the task just to read the extra notes or check the context that they are included.
Editing and changing tasks should be a clear event and it should stay separated from viewing a task.
However I totally agree with the search feature. This would be really nice.

Now I want to make some suggestions myself.

- Icon Badge: I know Apple has restricted access from one application to another or more accurately to their own applications, so I understand setting alarms with the application closed or the iPhone in standby would be at the moment impossible. So my suggestion is something what other task management apps are already doing...and this is a number of today tasks (or even customizable) to appear on the right top corner of the app icon badge. So this will be a reminder of how many tasks you have scheduled for today.

- Some other handy features: As I said before I tried or watched screencasts of other gtd or task management apps and some features are really handy, impressive and unique. So I know that they may be just wishful thinking and a luxury at the moment or even impossible (if patents are involved) but I'll suggest them anyway.

You can setup in default contexts the words call and email and visit website or you can identify them if they are not in default and a user creates them. In that case a call task could be filled in in conjunction with the contacts app and when the user wants to complete the task he would be presented with the numbers from that contact and on tap of the chosen number the call would start. Respectively the same case would be for email and upon selection of the email from the selected contact the mail app would open. Lastly the visit website should save the link added as link and on tap would open safari.

I'll come again for a new post with suggestions after collecting them and making a list (in toodledo :P) of my choices.

Thanks
George
george

Ehm just playing some more I discovered that I don't know how to delete a task.

I read that you have disabled task deletion until the bug is fixed but I understand this is for the web site application.

I'm not intending to use the web application at the moment. I prefer to use it as a standalone application for the iPhone. So I need to delete some tasks.

I searched help and this forum but I didn't find anything. So how do I delete a task on the iPhone app?

Thanks
George

This message was edited Oct 10, 2008.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.