ForumsNewsToodledo on the iPhone

Toodledo on the iPhone
Yannick

Posted: Oct 16, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
I want to elaborate on the "badge" thing. It would be nice if it was indeed an option, as mentioned before. And that you can choose what is shown: tasks overdue, task due today, number of next actions (my favorite!), hot list, ...
Ralf

Hi there,

actually the program syncs everytime you start it.
Would be nice to have the option whether to sync automatic or manual.

br

Kanja
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Version 1.2 of Toodledo for the iPhone has already been submitted to Apple for approval. In the past, it has taken them about 1 week to review and publish our app to the App Store. Here is what will be in version 1.2:

Version 1.2
* Added a setting for you to control the red application badge displayed on the home screen icon for this app.
* Added a setting to control what shows up in your hotlist.
* Added documentation inside the app to explain some key concepts. Visit the "Settings" section to read the documentation.
* Added manual sync setting
* Added option to purge completed tasks to free up memory
* Fixed a bug where the due-date of a task may be moved back by 1 day after you sync the task to Toodledo, if you live in certain European or Asian timezones.
* Fixed a bug where the due-date would sometimes be set to January 1, 1970 if you live in certain European or Asian timezones.
* Fixed a bug that would cause the app to crash when entering Japanese characters into the note field of a task.
* Fixed a bug that prevented passwords for working if they contained the following characters: &+=?;
* Fixed a bug that prevented the app from establishing an internet connection if Wifi was not available, and the phone was recently unconnected to the network.
* If you have the priority and due date fields turned off, the hotlist will now be hidden (since it will never have any tasks on it)
* Long tasks will no longer be printed with a tiny font
* The counter of the number of tasks in a list will now correctly only show active tasks.

So, as you can see, a lot of what you guys are asking for is in 1.2. Now that we have the major bugs out of the way, we are going to work on subtasks. Version 1.3 will be all about subtasks.

Keep your eye on the App Store for the update.

This message was edited Oct 16, 2008.
Yannick

Good work! It's nice to know our suggestions & bugreports are taken serious and something is done with them.

I have a question about the subtasks, I have paid for the iPhone application, but I haven't bought a Pro account of Toodledo, so I'm not able to make subtasks. What happens with the subtasks, will I be able to make subtasks in the iPhone application and sync them with Toodledo online?
Roman Roque

Posted: Oct 17, 2008
I was just wondering if someone has pointed out the fact that trying to edit a task with toodledo on the iphone adds one unnecessary step. I believe it would be much easier if we can edit it as soon as we choose a task instead of tapping the edit button.
a.werner

Version 1.2 sounds good. I hope the app will then left the beta status for european users!

Pretty good situation for using Toodledo in future with 3 iphone apps :

1. Appigo Todo
2. ToodleDo
3. Webis Pocketinformant (Fall 2008)

All of them seems to be very good applications so it will hard to say who will win this competition.
Yannick

Posted by chris.roque:
I was just wondering if someone has pointed out the fact that trying to edit a task with toodledo on the iphone adds one unnecessary step. I believe it would be much easier if we can edit it as soon as we choose a task instead of tapping the edit button.

This has been posted before, but for some this is desired behaviour. I know I like it how it is now. (And some others too as mentioned on the forum)
vegheadjones

and as a contrary vote, I would find it so much easier to use if we could edit a task right away.
jonk

Great application. Thanks.
Eric

Regarding the EDIT..

Here is my take, I like that the entry is locked until you hit edit. BUT... when you click edit I wish the current screen would just become editable rather then the edit window sliding up from the bottom. That is the time waster for me. Additionally I wish selection wheel would not click, this is distracting in the business environment.

Thanks for the hard work, looking forward to subtasks.
mattsez

Posted by Eric:
Additionally I wish selection wheel would not click, this is distracting in the business environment.

I second that. I was in a meeting trying to create a task regarding something someone was talking about, and everyone looked at me when my phone started clicking.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
The clicky thing isn't a Toodledo setting. Its a system setting that doesn't seem to be changable. I've noticed this clicking in other apps that use the scroll wheel. I'll see if there is some way that we can disable the sound effect, but in the meantime you can just switch the silence button on your iPhone if you are in a place where the clicking would be distracting.

This message was edited Oct 17, 2008.
salustri

Posted: Oct 19, 2008
I've gone through MANY task managers. Toodledo is the best one so far, I think, but there's also always room for improvement, so let me make some suggestions. The first ones that are personal red ticket items:

* it MUST remember the state between runs. I find it really annoying to have to drill down to wherever I was the last time I ran it.

* when I check an item as done, the list is not immediately refreshed properly. I have to back out of that folder (or whatever) then go back in. Those screen updates should be done at once.

* user-definable default values for all fields. This is a big one for me. It would let me quickly enter items that would go into a "inbox" folder, with a "hold" status.

* a "home" button on every screen where "new item" appears. I suggest using a + icon for "new item" and a little house for home. Put 'em beside one another and they shouldn't take up more real estate than "new task".

* more info in the item rendering. EG: if I short by importance, I'd still like to see due dates. Why not show both?

* when adding an item from within a folder or context, the folder/context field should be pre-filled. Saves typing.

* re: the edit or no edit when visiting an item: could we have it as a toggleable option? I'm pro-edit, but I can understand the other POV too. A toggleable option would make everyone happy, no?

* "importance" works for me, except that it thinks items are important before their start date. That doesn't make sense to me. ...how about allowing users to spec their own equation for importance?

* I can't believe anyone needs so many status settings; can we make this into a checklist thing - like the fields - so that people can choose which they want to use?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 20, 2008
Thanks for the suggestions. Alot of these are already implemented in our development build, or are planned for the next release.

This message was edited Oct 20, 2008.
Eric

App keeps getting better and better. Thank you so much!! One MAJOR request I've requested before but now it is more critical for me.

I have used the stars as my next actions list. Problem is that when I complete items with stars and they are recurring, the next item is still stared.

I tend to complete a future occurrence of a recurring task because I don't realize that it is the future occurrence, thinking it just didn't update as completed.

Star should be cleared upon completion.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
That is definitely a user preference that some people may want and others won't. We hope to support both at some point.

Thanks
george

Great work on the update. The icon badge is superb. :)

I know hotlist is calculated on due dates and priorities but can you please (on the next update or on one of the next updates) for the application icon to show today tasks as an option too?

Also for the edit a task thing...I can't argue on personal preferences (I prefer to hit the edit to edit), but really now we are talking about 1 second to hit the button and the screen to change...you sound like it's a big deal...anyway if programmers can make it an option then I guess everyone will be happy or else I suggest to leave it that way because it's better to lose 1 second to enter edit mode than to miss-edit tasks.

Also since programmers are all hyped with the next version and even though I'm pretty sure they took consideration of all requests so far in this thread I hope they don't mind repeating some handy and nice features that I posted on earlier pages for users to comment on them as well.

"You can setup in default contexts the words call and email and visit website or you can identify them if they are not in default and a user creates them. In that case a call task could be filled in in conjunction with the contacts app and when the user wants to complete the task he would be presented with the numbers from that contact and on tap of the chosen number the call would start. Respectively the same case would be for email and upon selection of the email from the selected contact the mail app would open. Lastly the visit website should save the link added as link and on tap would open safari."

Thanks in advance and congrats again on this fantastic app.

George

This message was edited Oct 20, 2008.
salustri

Posted: Oct 21, 2008
Great job on the 1.2 upgrade. Thanks for the feedback on my suggestions. Looking forward to lots more fun with toodledo.
David

Posted by David:
This is exactly what I have been waiting for. Great job on the app. I was going to purchase ToDo, but held off. It sounds as if you have big plans for this app so over time it will only get better.

Two suggestions.
1 - The height of the note field. It is 8 rows high. I would suggest making it 10-12 rows high. Due to the size of the screen a lot of text does not display with only 8 rows high.

2 - Links in notes - URLs in the note field appear as text and not clickable links. Please display URLs as clickable links.

I posted these suggestions right after the iphone app was released. Now that a few versions have been released to fix bugs, the focus is to add more features. Please consider my suggestions above.
Roman Roque

Just wanted to say THANK YOU THANK YOU for the update.

Toodledo is the first app I have paid for since I got my Iphone 3 months ago and it is very much worth the money.

I am excited for the incorporation of subtasks. Thank you again for such a wonderful task application.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.