ForumsNewsAdding Subtasks, Multi-Add, Scrolling and more

Adding Subtasks, Multi-Add, Scrolling and more
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 23, 2010
Score: 2 Reference
Today we are releasing a number of nice improvements.

Subtasks
Adding new subtasks directly to a parent task has become more powerful. You can now set all attributes of a subtask as it is being added. Any default values that you have in your account settings for newly added tasks will be preset when doing this. Additionally, there is an optional preference (in your account settings, under "Subtasks") that will use the parent's values instead of the default values for presetting the subtask's attributes. You can pick which way you want it.

The "Add Subtask" button has been removed from the bottom of the subtask list to make the lists more readable without interruption. The "Add Subtask" button is now located in the action menu under the brick icon or in the hover menu under the parent/hand icon.

Multi-Add
It is now easier to add multiple tasks in one action. Instead of going to another page to add multiple tasks, it has now been integrated directly into the normal "Add Task" box at the top of the page.

This same integrated multiple-task-adder also works for adding subtasks, so you can now add multiple subtasks directly to a parent. This will make it much easier and quicker to break down a big project into a number of smaller subtasks.

Reassigning Tasks
The "Reassign" column that allows you to reassign a task to a collaborator has been moved into the action menu under the brick icon. This was done to reduce the number of columns that people have going horizontally, and to standardize on actions being in the action menu, and task attributes being in columns.

Fixed Toolbars
Normally, when you have lots of tasks and need to scroll the page, the entire page scrolls, which causes the toolbars to disappear off the top of the page. There is now an experimental preference that you can turn on which will make the toolbars fixed at the top of the page and the tasks will be scrolled beneath them. This is in your account settings, under the "Show Tasks as" heading. It is experimental because it doesn't work perfectly in Opera or Internet Explorer 7, and it doesn't work properly on the calendar or scheduler at the moment.

We have also fixed a few minor bugs not worth noting, made some optimizations and cleaned up the toolbars a little bit.
SRhyse

Score: 1 Reference
This is a truly useful update for me.

Thanks!
Allen

Score: 0 Reference
This is an incredible update! The multi-task and sub-task re-working are going to really streamline my work flow.

Edit: I wasn't initially able to use the fixed toolbar option, but after toggling the grid/multiline option it started working.

This message was edited Sep 23, 2010.
garyo

nice! scrolling works great for me on Chrome, and multi-add is much better.
tom.suchy

The fixed toolbars work great in Chrome, and don't get messed up with the stylish sheet I use (although I think it makes it a little bigger than my viewing area, so the whole page scrolls a bit in addition to the task list scrolling). No big deal!

Awesome stuff!
-Tom
jdreed99

I really like the fixed toolbar, but see a slight problem in FF 3.6.10. On my 1024 wide monitor, at first I couldn't see the new scrollbar without scrolling to the right first. So I took out a column and tweaked the width of the others but I still can't see the scrollbar because the text, "There is also 1 old completed subtask that is not displayed. Show." pushes the right edge of the table over. If you could move that text more to the left it would ease that problem. But the scroll wheel on the mouse works fine too, if moving the text isn't an option.

This message was edited Sep 23, 2010.
BW

Incredibly useful update! I can't tell you how much time will be saved doing multi-add subtasks!

Keep up the good work!
rivanor

Sub-tasks are still a Pro-only feature?
Andrew A

Nice... on all counts, though I particular like not having to leave for multi add and the fixed header, scrolling tasks is oh so nice....
Salgud

Great update!

I've changed over to have subtasks inherit attributes from the parent, that'll save a little time.

Tried out the scrolling just the table, not the headers feature. Since I'm stuck with IE7 here at work, it only works if I use the scroll bar, not the scroll wheel. Hopefully this will be fixed in the near future? Right now, it's a tough choice between the two options.

Thanks to the TD staff for a great job!
kralon20

Great update and simply a fantastic product.
PeterW 

Is there any way I can control the position of the "add subtask" window with my Stylish script?

On my current script it pops up at the bottom of the screen with most of the window hidden.
davidlmontgomery

Posted: Sep 24, 2010
I have a suggestion for two minor tweaks that I think would improve the "add multiple tasks..." functionality.

I would like it if when the focus is on this "add multiple tasks..." link I could press the spacebar or enter to have the effect of clicking on the link.

Often I'll start off typing a task, entering the task description, and then I realize I want to take advantage of the add multiple task function. I can hit "tab" to get to that link, but I can't "click" it without using the mouse. I'd like to stay with the keyboard by hitting the spacebar or enter.

Although enter would change the behavior from the normal "add" functionality, it would have few downsides. If a user hit enter while the focus was there and really just meant to add the task, then they can hit tab and enter and be on their way. But if you are concerned about this, then the spacebar would be fine.

Without this, it seems to me there is no reason to have this link at this point in the tab order. During normal task entry it means you just need to hit tab more times to edit the other fields, and landing on it in the tab order isn't helpful since you'll have to grab the mouse to do anything.

In fact my first encounter with the new features, before I saw the tweet announcing them, was to notice I was now having to hit tab twice more to get from task description to context. That's a (tiny) anti-feature, and I was going to suggest moving both of the new links elsewhere in the tab order. For me what would be ideal would be this tab order: Cancel, import tasks..., Add multiple tasks..., Task description. Then 1) these power features wouldn't slow down normal task editing, 2) Add multiple tasks... (my favorite and most common) would be one-keystroke away with shift-tab, and 3) if Cancel also responded to the spacebar or enter or some keystroke (with focus), it would become usable from the keyboard.

Thanks for considering the suggestions, and many thanks for a great product that I rely on every day!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the feedback.
Studio

Add multi task new feature is great.
Is it possible to add also different due date time for each task ?
Gummi

Thanks for the updates.

- The scrolling works perfectly in Chrome 6.0.472.63 on Windows XP SP3. It´s an improvement.
- Defaulting subtasks to parent is an amazing improvement. I work in subtasks all day so this saves me seconds off each add.

I would like to make a suggestion to add a "Add subtask" icon next to the "Attachment" and "Note" icon (or make it a preference). I use "Add subtask" considerably more than attachments and notes so it would make the most sense to me to have that button prominent. It´s a little cumbersome to have two clicks to add subtask for the action I use most in my daily workflow.

Best regards,
Gummi
jastram

Great update! And here is the first bug report (I think) :-)

I used to have collaborators enabled. The column is now gone (as described), but instead I have a gap between the last column and the icon for notes. I assume that this is the space where the collaborator column used to be, but so far I couldn't find a way to get rid of it.

Thanks for the great work!
jastram

Score: 1 Reference
@rivanor: Don't be so cheap, sub-tasks are absolutely worth paying for! :-)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
@jastram: You must have the experimental scrolling feature turned on. When it is, the list is sized to the width of the screen, so there will be extra white space between the last column and the icons on the right side. This is one of the reasons why it is still experimental.
Pe TS FAD Projects

Multi-Add cool, although I kind of miss having the Add Task at the bottom of the list - I'll get used to the change. :)

Locked menus/nav doesn't seem to work in Safari 5.0.2, unless there's a pref I missed somewhere to turn it on.

Thanks!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.