ForumsQuestionsTo Do List on iPhone disappeared

To Do List on iPhone disappeared
starlet66

Posted: Dec 12, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
I downloaded Toodledo on my iPhone December 1. I entered data on the web and on the iPhone -- all was well until December 9 when the number of tasks on the ToDo icon (iPhone) disappeared and, although the icon remains, I cannot bring anything up to view. What does come up is black and then pops back to the iPhone opening screen. The Toodledo To Do List is still on the Web but it will not sync.

Is it possible that I have too much data? How can I download Toodledo again for no charge?

I have Notebook, and that is still operating, but not worth much without Toodledo. My iPhone is version 2.2 and I updated the new version of Toodledo on iTunes. I've tried everything I can think of.

Does anyone have an answer to this problem?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 12, 2008
You can try two things.

1) Restart your iPhone by holding the lock button down for 10 seconds until the slider pops up. Slide the slider to turn off the iPhone. Then wait and turn it on again.

2) Delete Toodledo from your iPhone and then download it again from the iTunes app store. Don't worry, it won't charge you twice.

Hope that helps.
starlet66

Posted: Dec 14, 2008
Thanks for your input -- I followed your guidelines and I now have Toddledo on my iPhone --

Funny, though, I guess I was really writing in about ToDo because although Toodledo was on my Website, ToDo icon was on my iPhone and I thought these were related. I'm very confused, but understand today why the Toddledo on the iPhone that I am now using since the 'fix' you recommended is a different format than I was used to with ToDo. Just a matter of getting used to, but very happy to have some kind of To Do application back on my iPhone.

However, one problem that I met with immediately is that the "x" on the field to enter Task is very hard to miss, even with my petite fingers – I have to be so careful.

I read the input from Shopping2 and agree with these observations:

1. A separate click to edit a task after I've selected it seems cumbersome and is very different from the standard interaction model of most iPhone applications. I think it's important to optimize access as quick as possible

2. It would be nice if the sync control was not buried in settings > synchronization

3. Without having a sync button, I need to now turn on my iPhone and then find the sync button. I would love to just have a physical sync button so that periodically (every task or two) I can just sync.
Thanks again for your quick response.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 14, 2008
Hi, the default behavior is auto-syncing, which will happen automatically in the background so you don't have to worry about it. If you would prefer to sync manually, you can go into the sync settings and turn on manual syncing, which will but a sync button on the home screen for you to click whenever you feel like it, without having to go into settings.

Hope that helps.
Claudio

Posted: Dec 15, 2008
Why not just leave the Sync button on the home screen regardless of the Synchronization settings? The space is not being used for anything else.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We are trying to reduce clutter. If you have automatic syncing turned on, there is no need to have the sync button, since syncing will be handled automatically in the background.
Claudio

Are you saying that you won't put the little "Sync" button on the Home screen because you are trying to reduce clutter, or because you've determined that I have no need to use the Sync button if I have automatic syncing turned on?

If the answer is "Both", then I can tell that:
1. I don't think that it clutters the screen.
2. I do need it.
3. It seems that it's practically no effort to give it to me.

Is there something else that I'm missing?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
There are a lot of people who are not as technically savvy as you are. For them, auto syncing is an invisible solution that works great. The addition of a sync button on the home-screen, for them, would add an extra unnecessary thing for them to learn.

If you need the sync button on the home page, just turn on manual syncing.

Just out of curiosity, why do you need both auto-syncing and manual syncing?
Claudio

Well, as long as you're asking ... ;

Paranoia, I guess.

I've used PDAs for about 15 years (Sharp, Palm, HP, Blackberry, Palm again, and now an iPhone), and I've learned from bitter experience that any device can crash at any time, and when that happens, whatever I keyed in recently is usually gone. And, I probably won't remember all of the recent items. I use my iPhone so that I don't have to remember.

I've missed important targets dates because my device crashed and I thought that I had everything backed up, but I forgot one or two key tasks. When I used a Blackberry with Exchange Server, I had instant synchronization, which is also what I got when I was using MobileMe for my appointments and contacts on my iPhone.

I no longer have Exchange Server, and when I discovered Toodledo, it seemed that my worries were over. Now, I can't imagine ever using a task management system that doesn't synchronize almost immediately with a website.

I started using Appigo's Todo, but it didn't support Contexts. When the Toodledo iPhone app came out, I immediately switched, but I didn't really like the interface as much as Todo. When Appigo introduced Contexts, I switched back. I think that their interface is much nicer, but they still don't support subtasks, so I'm currently using Toodledo for my more complex projects, and Todo for everything else.

The Toodledo auto sync is great (better than Todo), but Todo offers a sync button on every screen. Sometimes I will update 20-30 items on my iPhone, and I'll sync after about 10 items. This is very easy in Todo but awkward in Toodledo. Do I really "need" to do this? Probably not. What are the chances that my iPhone will crash while I'm updating my Tasks? What if a get a phone call, or some recently installed "poorly behaved" programs causes an unforseen problem? (The problems are usually unforseen, right?)

Frequent syncs are cheap insurance.
paulp

Posted: Dec 16, 2008
I am having the same issues with Toodledo on my iphone. After 4 days of using it (great app btw) it now won't load when I click on the button. It starts to load and I see the main screen without any buttons on, and then iphone quits and goes back to the home screen. I've tried restarting iphone without any joy, so I will try deleting and reinstalling the app.

I assume this is a known bug that will be fixed in the next version? Is there anything I can do to stop it happening again?

Posted by Toodledo:
You can try two things.

1) Restart your iPhone by holding the lock button down for 10 seconds until the slider pops up. Slide the slider to turn off the iPhone. Then wait and turn it on again.

2) Delete Toodledo from your iPhone and then download it again from the iTunes app store. Don't worry, it won't charge you twice.

Hope that helps.
KatBoy

Hi Claudio

I'm new to mobile devices but have been in the computing industry for over 20 years and I'm paranoid about backing up. Everything. Several ways. Never lost any data yet.

So I have ToodleDo set to manual sync, then when inputting I can frequently sync it myself and know it's done. I also do frequent CSV back-ups and save each one as a separate file.

Even utilities which auto-sync in the background get double-checked and backed up again every week... bookmarks, calendar, contacts, email, etc, etc.

For the paranoid manual syncing is the best option.
Claudio

Hi Boy!

I agree that manual syncing (with careful monitoring) is the "best" to ensure data integrity and redunancy, but it's more work and responsibility. (Which means I might sometimes forget.)

Automatic syncing requires the least effort.

I would like both, and Toodledo offers both. All I'm looking for is a simpler, faster way of syncing manually, even when I have automatic syncing.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the feedback. We've thought about having Toodledo instantly sync all changes to the server. Maybe we'll put this in a future version.
stuu

Posted: Dec 18, 2008
And in the meantime, I work around this design decision by locking and unlocking my ipod to activate the "autosync on unlock" (or whatever Toodledo wants to call it) feature.

Two button presses and a swipe are a bit of a hassle, but it's a bit faster than hitting the home button and relaunching Toodledo, and probably a bit safer, since the app is still resident (vs closed and reopened)

This message was edited Dec 18, 2008.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.