ForumsQuestionsRetaining Completed Tasks

Retaining Completed Tasks
PT_Ken

Posted: Dec 23, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
Hi. I'm new to Toodledo and am considering buying the iPhone app. Since I have to buy it before trying it, I'm uncertain about some of the functionality. I hope someone here can help me.

I understand that the free account will retain completed tasks for up to 6 months, Pro up to 2 years, and Pro Plus forever. My question is if I use the free account or the Pro account, when the completed tasks are purged after the time limit is reached, will those completed tasks still be on my iPhone or will they be purged there as well?

Also, do the completed tasks record the date and time of completion? If so, is the completion date and time editable (in case I want it to reflect the actual completion time and not the time that I checked it off my list)?

Thanks!

Ken
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 23, 2008
The iPhone will retain all completed tasks forever. You can choose to purge old tasks from your iPhone, if you choose.

Also, the completion date is recorded (but not time) and it isn't currently editable, but we might add this in the future.

Hope that helps
PT_Ken

Posted: Dec 24, 2008
Posted by Toodledo:
The iPhone will retain all completed tasks forever. You can choose to purge old tasks from your iPhone, if you choose.

I received this reply from Appigo support and would like your reaction to it. I want to make sure that Toodledo on my iPhone will retain completed tasks after they are purged from the web site, assuming I am using the free or pro account. Thanks!

The Toodledo site will remove completed tasks after 6 months (or sooner if you have it set that way) on their free accounts. When they remove their accounts, the site will record that a delete has taken place so when we synchronize with them we are notified of the deletes just as if you had deleted the task from their site.

The result is that the tasks will also be removed from Todo. The same would apply to any other app syncing with their site using their API. If you upgrade to their full account, they will keep a longer history of completed tasks.

-The Appigo Team

This message was edited Dec 24, 2008.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 24, 2008
You know what? Now that I think about it, I'm not sure what will happen. If Appigo says that they get deleted, then they must get deleted in our app too, since we use the same API that they do. We'll have to test it.

To be safe, you could just get a Pro account to save your tasks for longer. And if you really need to store completed tasks forever, you could always export them to your computer for safe keeping.
PT_Ken

Posted: Dec 30, 2008
Posted by Toodledo:
You know what? Now that I think about it, I'm not sure what will happen. If Appigo says that they get deleted, then they must get deleted in our app too, since we use the same API that they do. We'll have to test it.

To be safe, you could just get a Pro account to save your tasks for longer. And if you really need to store completed tasks forever, you could always export them to your computer for safe keeping.

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear this. I bought Toodledo over ToDo for the very reason that you said the iPhone will retain the tasks even after they are purged from the account. I really don't want to spend the money on a Pro Plus account just to have a persistent to do list.

Exporting to archive the tasks does not work for me either. I have a number of lists, such as a reading list, where I put all of the books that I would like to read, along with author and some other information about the book. After I read it I will check it off so it will no longer be visible, but I like to retain the list so I can refer back to it at any time (who wrote that book? when did I read it?). The reading list is just one example of a number of lists that I use this way. If I export the list, it is not actively available in Toodledo. I don't care if it's not available on the web site and doesn't sync after six months, but I want it to remain on my iPhone application.

Perhaps this is a feature request for you web site. Could you add an option so that when completed tasks expire on the web site, it does not issue a "delete" command to the API for the remote app? That would solve my problem.

Also, just to verify, is it just the complete tasks that get purged? What if I have uncompleted tasks, with no due date, that are older than six months, such as a reading list that I haven't read yet?

Thanks.

Ken
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 30, 2008
It is only completed tasks that were completed more than 6 months ago that will be removed. Sorry about the confusion. I had forgotten that auto-deleted old tasks were getting the API delete command. We'll see if there is a way to make this a preference, but in the meantime, if you want infinite storage, you'll need to get a subscription or use our export options.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.