ForumsQuestionsIs there any problem with using tags instead of contexts?

Is there any problem with using tags instead of contexts?
Damian_S

Posted: Jun 10, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
Hello all,

I'm transferring my GTD system into Toodledo and I often use multiple contexts per action (@computer, @net for example).

If I decide to use tags as contexts to enable me to keep doing this, do I loose any functionality that 'official' contexts provide?

I'll also probably use tags like ~mark and ~dave to tag an action to a person. Any problems doing this if I'm using contexts as tags too?

I may also use tags (with a different prefix) for 'Areas of life' (again, occasionally a project can exist in more than one so contexts are out again) .. it may get a bit crowded in the tag selector, but is all of this ok to do and 'safe' from any future updates breaking anything?

Cheers
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 10, 2011
There should not be any problem with using tags as contexts. There is nothing special about contexts except that you can control sharing permissions on a per-context basis and not on a per-tag basis.
Damian_S

Posted: Jun 12, 2011
Thanks for that reply. The sharing comment helped me to decide how to use contexts.

So, I'm now using tags in the way that I used to use contexts (@email, @calls, @out etc). And I'm using what Toodledo calls contexts to separate areas of my life.

I'll then hopefully be able to share those relevant areas with relevant people.

Great stuff.

D
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.